Forum coverage of Covid-19 information

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

What do you think about the way Hua Hin Forum communicates Covid-19 information?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 am

The quantity and detail is fine and is useful to see on a daily basis.
56%
It's all too much and should be limited or condensed more than it is.
44%
It's not enough and feel that there is more that should be posted to help us through this pandemic.
No votes

Total votes: 27

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Forum coverage of Covid-19 information

Post by dtaai-maai »

I don't live in Thailand now, but I still have a close interest in what's happening in HH and definitely feel part of the forum community, so here's my twopenn'orth.

I broadly agree with the following posts:
ahandpatsy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:05 pm Way too much detail. Everybody must just ignore. All i would want is daily death and infections for thailand and pkk. Also vaccine numbers when gets going. Just my opinion as ever. Thanks
buksida wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:00 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 am I voted that it’s a bit too much, in terms of duplicated information resulting in me “switching off” and then I might miss something important. A simple daily summary of key data is all that I need - is the trend up, down or stable - is their a big new event needing watching, etc. It sometimes feels like a race on who can get the information out first - I’d much rather have quality than quantity.
I'd agree with that assessment. It does feel like a race at times and often the same info (such as the daily figures) gets posted 3-4 times in different formats. Its given me a big "Coverdose" as well and I too often just switch off.
Have a thread exclusively for fact-based information (let's not go into what constitutes 'facts' stated by Thai authorities) - i.e. for the figures and videos posted by BB and joelle.
Have a separate thread for opinions and discussion.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Personally I would sack the Daily Brief video unless there was something salient to the ex pat community and give times in the vid so we don't have to watch endless minutes of buffalo poo. Not meant as a criticism, just my POV.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Are you volunteering? Not a job I could do because it often sends me to sleep :oops:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:31 pm :laugh: Are you volunteering? Not a job I could do because it often sends me to sleep :oops:
As you post the damn thing :laugh: :duck: I mistakenly assumed that you actually watched it but then again you know what they say about assumptions :laugh: :duck:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

The duplication of any daily updates is i think minimal , and presented in such a different enough way as to not be an overload of info.
Plus seeing the daily numbers charts for the whole country, and the Prachuap Province chart, make for enlightening reading every day.
A terrific job being done
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 pm
Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:31 pm :laugh: Are you volunteering? Not a job I could do because it often sends me to sleep :oops:
As you post the damn thing :laugh: :duck: I mistakenly assumed that you actually watched it but then again you know what they say about assumptions :laugh: :duck:
Yes, I endeavour to watch daily, but the life of a moderator can be tiring :duck:

Seriously, I have been known to nod off part way through. I know it is all riveting stuff, but........ :D

Points 51; Position 21
Meerkat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Meerkat »

huahinjim wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:57 pm Better too much than too little.
So I am grateful for those who have taken the time and effort to post information.
I have posted previously that I like especially both Joelles and Big Boys posts. Even if the data is from the same source Joelle has some very useful details that are not in BB's tables as Dannie Boy pointed out earlier. BBs table are good for giving an overview of daily figures for several weeks. Very useful.
Thanks to all who post.
(Edited for typo)
Agreed.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I am grateful for the information being provided.

I like to see the headline figures for the Country.

The daily regional data.

The detailed information specific to Hua Hin (Joelle)

The spreadsheet of province wide data for recent weeks (Big Boy)
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:29 pm The spreadsheet of province wide data for recent weeks (Big Boy)
My follow-up question is, would this information be just as useful e.g. every Sunday morning? It doesn't really bother me either way - I will maintain the spreadsheet for my own benefit, but do we really need to see it every day? In the event of somebody needing to see it earlier for any reason, it can be posted in 2 minutes of me seeing a request.

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think weekly would be fine. Every now again some data emerges that makes me want to check back.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'm of the need less school.

Actually, I no longer look at any of it as it makes no difference to my life.

It reminds me of a sporting event score sheet.

my wife is an all day watcher of Covid reporting on the terrorvision.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 am It sometimes feels like a race on who can get the information out first -
It's not a race, for my part, I post as soon as I get the information or as soon as I am available to post it
Sometimes it's early and sometimes late
Have an enjoyable day :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:54 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 am It sometimes feels like a race on who can get the information out first -
It's not a race, for my part, I post as soon as I get the information or as soon as I am available to post it
Sometimes it's early and sometimes late
Have an enjoyable day :cheers:
I was certainly not suggesting that you were joelle, your information has always been factual and informative, including covering Cha Am. Obviously when posting information somebody will be first and somebody last, but I thought that at times there was a lot of overlap/duplication of information. Without the information being centralied this is inevitable, so I accept a “little bit too much” is better than a “little be insufficient” and having the subject aired, has probably done more good than harm.
:cheers:
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 pm
caller wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:29 pm The spreadsheet of province wide data for recent weeks (Big Boy)
My follow-up question is, would this information be just as useful e.g. every Sunday morning?
I like to see this on a daily basis. Easy to follow how things progress or otherwise. I appreciate that it is all dependent upon your time available.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know I joked about it with sateeb yesterday, and my comments about sometimes nodding off whilst watching it were genuine, but does anybody actually watch the Daily Brief? I post it daily because it was requested, but I look at the worldwide viewing numbers on YouTube, and they rarely exceed 100. So that is me, and 99 other people on planet Earth. Is there anybody using the service on the forum? It only takes 30 seconds to post, but it is only clutter if nobody is watching. Even I don't watch it via the forum.

Points 51; Position 21