Traveling in Thailand during the time of Covid

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Re: Traveling in Thailand during the time of Covid

Post by KhunLA »

During this wave of silliness, we only left the province once, last week, as noted above.

Prior to that though, and since April / June last year, when still frowned upon, out a wee bit, just between Krung Thep & Chumphon. Then July when restrictions were relaxed, we were out at least once every month. Actually around most of the country. First trip up to Kanchanaburi province. Loveliest that I've ever seen, as apparently I've only been there during smog season. Could see multiple ridges of the hills, instead of maybe 1 through the grey haze.

Mostly other outings were visits to points south of PKK, a few times to Phuket & Krabi (Andaman Sea side). Came back up through Phang-nga / Ranong one time. Others via Khao Sok, testing out different routes from Phuket & Krabi.

Swung down the Gulf coast a couple times, looping around NST, Phattalung, Songkla, Satun, Trang. Didn't ignore the N & NE. Made a trip up to Udon Thani, to sell our house, with return a month or so later to sell some land. While at it, looped over far side of Chiang Mai. Very nice visit to Doi Inthanon, unplanned stay there, as was going to drive through to Mae Chaem area, but stopped midway 'in' the park, taking in the terraced rice fields for a few days. Big plus since unplanned, got to stay and see the waterfalls in the park without paying park fee. 🤣 Will need to do that one more time, as still having a parcel of land to sell.

Returned down via north side highways. Made a return visit to N again, for a funeral at Kamphaeng Phet. Not the best reason for an out & about, but made the best of it. Got to see lots of family, there and previous visits to Bangkok, Udon Thani, NBLP, Kamphaeng Phet, as wife's large family and high school friends are scattered all over.

Really some of our best holidays at Phuket & Krabi, since going during 'high season', and total lack of tourist, and tourist pricing. A time of year I would never consider visiting a touristy destination. Stayed in much better accommodations for much less than we ever paid during off season. I know it's selfish, and I feel for many of the vendors, but I hope the tourist never return. At least in the 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 mill numbers. Think it will be a few years before Thailand sees 1 million tourist, let alone 5-10 million returning.

Since self driving, never a problem finding food, abet, driving a bit further than usual, though beach front roads on Phuket & Krabi (Ao Nang) were ghost towns. Couple favorite vendors of the past were operating, as catered to locals as well as tourist, and actually doing well, as they always have. Others catering only to tourist, and places we never visited anyway, because of, all shuttered.

Phuket beaches were lovely: http://tiny.cc/h232uz
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've only stayed away from home one night since Covid began. It was literally on the eve of Wave 2. I remember that well because on the way home we were going to stop at Samut Sakhon, but we were diverted past.

We were attending a competition near Survarnabhumi Airport, so were staying at a decent airport hotel. When we arrived, everything was closed down, coffee shop, restaurant, bar, pool etc. One of the things that attracted us to the hotel was the buffet breakfast - it looked spectacular in the photos. Breakfast (plastic sausages, plastic ham, cold fried egg, chilled toast and lettuce) was delivered on a take it or leave it tray to our room. No coffee or orange juice. I was so disappointed. My point is, I don't know if this is the New Normal for hotels during Covid, but it was nothing like the photos on Agoda. OK, Agoda photos are normally outdated, but this was not just fading paintwork, but everything that attracted us was either closed or had changed. Basically, it has completely put me off staying in a hotel until normality returns.
yuk.jpg
(164.78 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Loveliest that I've ever seen, as apparently I've only been there during smog season. Could see multiple ridges of the hills, instead of maybe 1 through the grey haze.
Not sure if it's already been posted. If so, I apologise.

A documentary "The Year Earth Changed" narrated by David Attenborough (who else!) shows a real eye-opener on what the world looks like without the pollution and the rebound of wildlife during 2020 through to today.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Saw that and quite good, aside from a few political things. Amazing how tourist effect wildlife by noise pollution was the eye opener for me. Highly recommend also.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

NNT- National News Bureau of Thailand (Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld )

A digital type of travel declaration form has been introduced for people traveling out of Bangkok, as the authorities implement stricter measures to contain the spread of COVID-19. People traveling from Bangkok are now required to fill out and submit their declaration, simply by scanning a QR code.

Anyone traveling out of Bangkok is now asked to scan the BKK COVID-19 QR code at checkpoints using their smartphone to fill out and submit their electronic travel declaration.

The measure has been introduced as more stringent measures were implemented to curb the spread of COVID-19, from the shutting down of construction camps, a ban on dining-in at restaurants, and movement controls.

The digital travel declaration accessible on the QR code requires travelers to supply personal information, such as their full name, national identification number, mobile phone number, gender, and nationality.

Travelers will be asked for their purpose of travel, the necessity, and whether they will be returning to Bangkok after the trip.

After submission, travelers need to show this form to officials at screening checkpoints. Information provided will only be used for the purposes of disease investigation.

Several road checkpoints have been installed in Bangkok to prevent movement of workers from camps inside the capital to their hometown, as construction sites are being closed for 30 days. The checkpoints can be found on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in front of Don Muang Railway Station, on Suwinthawong road under Mahanakhon intersection overpass, on Bang na-Trat road in front of Bangchak petrol station at kilometer 4.5, on Borommaratchachonnani under Phutthamonthon Sai 3 intersection overpass, on Phetkasem road Soi 70 in front of Nong Khaem District Office, and on Rama II road in front of PTT petrol station in Bang Khun Thian district.

209165541_10158114268602050_11826672465694388_n.jpg
209165541_10158114268602050_11826672465694388_n.jpg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I can see this being a roaring success! :roll:
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's very helpful of them to provide the locations of the checkpoints so that those who need to can avoid them.
This is the way
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

caller wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:50 pm I can see this being a roaring success! :roll:
I can see BB choking on his cup of tea looking at all those QR codes :laugh: :laugh:
To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty: