Cricket

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Cricket

Post by PeteC »

With the constant disruption to our lives caused by Covid and the "need" to lock ourselves up from time to time, perhaps we need to get more involved in Cricket as Superbru has various competitions throughout the year. Are you a Cricket guy, Pharvey? I'm sure there are others on here who follow the sport?

Are there any instructional videos, as I for one know nothing at all about the sport.

Most importantly, is it enjoyable to watch and follow? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Cricket

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:07 am Are there any instructional videos, as I for one know nothing at all about the sport.
You asked for it! All you need to know about cricket...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
You might find this more helpful: https://www.checkfit.co.uk/introduction-to-cricket/
Most importantly, is it enjoyable to watch and follow? :cheers:
I suspect it's an acquired taste. Basketball bores me to tears, but I understand some people like it. I love cricket, but I've been playing and watching it since I was very young. If you're going to try it, I suggest you start watching the shorter versions of the game, like T20, or the Hundred (due to start soon).
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Similarities to US Baseball, which is probably where Baseball came from.

I will study and look at some videos. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I would argue that baseball is more derived from our ladies rounders game. :cheers: :laugh:

Edit: It seems baseball is a hybrid of both rounders and cricket.

https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-baseball
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Sadly, D-M, I understood your convoluted explanation. When I was about 10 my father gave me a Radio Times cut out of all the fielding positions and I have loved the game, in all its forms, ever since. Many people don`t understand how a 5 day game can end in a thrilling draw.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There are Cricket clubs here in Thailand. I know of one in Pattaya, but haven't read anything about them since Covid arrived.

I'm sure there are/were more in other locations here as well.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The fact is that you can get relatively boring 40 over matches and incredibly exciting 5 day test matches - over the years there have been some incredibly close test match encounters with nail-biting finishes - but many boring ones too.

I only played relatively low-level one day matches in my younger days but really enjoyed it - never any good with the bat, but not too bad with the ball.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:33 pm There are Cricket clubs here in Thailand. I know of one in Pattaya, but haven't read anything about them since Covid arrived.

I'm sure there are/were more in other locations here as well.
Wherever there are British expats, you'll find a cricket club or two! It probably helps that it's not quite so energetic as football and rugby...
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I follow along with some cricket and used to play, not particularly well, in a team as a kid. I think the most exciting game I've seen of recent was the England New Zealand World Cup final. Only game I've seen ever go to a 'super over'. Gripping stuff.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

During my working career I spent 3-4 years in Pakistan and was fortunate enough to see the World Cup Final at Lahore in 1997. I also got to meet many cricketers who were famous at the time including Shane Warne and others who I’m not even sure of their names, but also former cricketers Geoff Boycott and Clive Lloyd - I still have an autograph book with many signatures and a number of photos of me standing next to those famous guys.
We also had a very close run-in with security guards at Imran Khan’s residence when we tried to get into his residence to meet him - our Pakistani HR Manager said he knew him, but they were having none of it and pointed their AK47’s in our direction- we took the hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Used to watch it back in the day when the likes of Botham, Gower, Lamb. Viv Richards and other greats were there - some great memories of the Ashes series' in the 80's.

I'll take a look at the odd "Limited Overs" match these days, but must admit don't watch it anywhere near as I used to and certainly not to the extent I watch rugby....

Still, some great memories of a village pub near Salisbury (can't for the life of me remember where now) which backed onto a cricket pitch - now there was an enjoyable Sunday afternoon, sinking a few cold ciders whilst watching the village team!! :D

Wouldn't be against having a go in a (prediction) league - may just resurrect an interest in the game....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

Straightforward catch :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty:
Grim Reaper
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Grim Reaper »

The Topspin account has been disabled. The account was in clear violation of forum rules.
Multiple accounts are not permitted unless approved by the Administrator.
Further such violation will also see your main account removed.
You reap what you sow
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I see there's a new format of the game with "The Hundred" Competition beginning this evening (UK) - 21.07.2021. Seems ideally suited to those new to the sport and looking for a short, simplified & (hopefully) more exciting format: -

"100-ball cricket is a short form of cricket designed to attract new audiences to the game with simplified rules, which was originally created by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for its new city-based competition The Hundred.

The 100 ball game has two teams each having a single innings, which is restricted to a maximum of 100 balls, and the match lasts approximately two and a half hours, somewhat shorter than the existing Twenty20 format.[1]"

Further Details Below: -

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/ ... -competion
https://www.thehundred.com/info/competition-rules

How to Watch: -
stream-100.png
stream-100.png (46.83 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
There are various Leagues to join on Superbru if it takes your fancy!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^It's a women's game this evening. The first men's game is tomorrow.

Incidentally, if you're interested in cricket I hope you caught the 3rd and final T20 game between England and Pakistan yesterday. It was quite something!
This is the way