Cricket

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Cricket

Post by lindosfan1 »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:21 pm And blooded an 18 year old in the process Rehan Ahmed, who had an amazing first test taking 5-48!!
I think he alone made 3 new world records
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

When someone refers to a distance being, “The length of a cricket pitch”, does that mean the distance from the outfield wall to the batter box, or the distance from the bowler to the batter box? :? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 am When someone refers to a distance being, “The length of a cricket pitch”, does that mean the distance from the outfield wall to the batter box, or the distance from the bowler to the batter box? :? :cheers:
The distance between the stumps - unless it’s gone metric (I’m sure it hasn’t) its 22 yards!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Also, I’ve never heard of the term “batter box” - I assume you’re referring to the area where the batsman take strike, which is called the crease, which I believe is 4ft deep from the stumps!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pm Also, I’ve never heard of the term “batter box” - I assume you’re referring to the area where the batsman take strike, which is called the crease, which I believe is 4ft deep from the stumps!!
Where the guy stands who hits the ball. :laugh:

Thanks for the info, so it’s 22 yards and I now know the reference when I hear it. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The batter box - thank you so much, Pete, that is the best laugh I've had in days!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:cheers:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

While we're on the subject of terminology, 'batter' is a fairly recent innovation. Until a few years ago, it was always the 'batsman', but with the growth of women's cricket a more 'gender neutral' <sigh> term was required. You'll still hear commentators slip up on this occasionally.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here’s it is in all its evolved glory. :thumb:

maxresdefault-4051937023.jpg
(140.05 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:07 pm The batter box - thank you so much, Pete, that is the best laugh I've had in days!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
When I was young, that was the container used to dip the fish in before deep frying!! 😂
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:15 pm Here’s it is in all its evolved glory. :thumb:

maxresdefault-4051937023.jpg
Sorry I have played when young and watched cricket all my life What on earth are those lines about, and I have never heard of a batter box. A batsman stands at the crease, the line in front of the stumps.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\I'm guessing it's a rounders (baseball batters box)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Cricket

Post by Dannie Boy »

Definitely looks like the baseball pitching area?
And batter is the perfect accompaniment to a nice piece of cod!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, the terms and photo refer to American baseball. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Anyone interested in the Superbru World Cup predictor. It starts in 44 days.

I'm way out of my depth with this sport, but if anyone is interested in starting a Superbru group I'll give you the info on how to do it. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm usually up for most prediction pools, but cricket? No thank you - I've got some hot needles to poke into my eyes, after I've watched the paint dry on the bedroom door.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20