Business closures in Hua Hin

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Business closures in Hua Hin

Post by wenshidi »

It seems that a lot of familiar names have now fallen victim to the lockdowns. I do not go out as much as I used, so I am not sure what the full extent of the damage has been. I will start the ball rolling with a couple of closures that I have spotted.

The Dammrong GH just outside Chatchai on PK Road. This has always been an option for long staying old hands as long as I have been coming here, so I was very surprised to see it closed. I did hear that business started to go down when it changed hands a few years ago.

The G House Hotel next to Hua Hin School. I looked at this place as a long-term option just before the outbreak, so it looks like I dodged a bullet there, as it has been closed for nigh on two years now. Even then, it was a bit overpriced and in a very noisy location.

What other closures have you spotted in your part of town?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Business closures in Hua Hin

Post by europtimiste »

G House is probably temporary close, but they are strong enough to re open as soon as possible.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would imagine that more than half the bars in Hua Hin will never open again. Owners will struggle to stock them after such a prolonged shutdown and no income, rents are still stupid, and there are a fraction of the punters to go round.

Will be interesting to see which ones do open if the authorities give the green light for alcohol on Dec. 1. And ... they're likely to ban it again just as quickly should covid numbers start increasing. Not a risk I'd want to take if I ran a bar.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen a few bars in the 94 area tarting themselves up before each expected opening, but it's all to no avail.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It would be nice if, at least, you could have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner. You could sign a pledge that you won't drink more than 1, or the venue could serve only one. Of course there's the danger of bribery.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

It will be interesting to update some of the "After Dark" nightlife maps after the reopening. Are any of those expats still here?

It seems that a lot of the beach front hotels have managed to stay open thanks to BKK customers. I wonder if the same is true in Pattaya, Phuket and Samui?

Last time I took a walk around the central area that surrounds the Hilton, it was nearly all metal shutters. It will be revealing to see how many of those places open back up in December.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Those that rely on Thai tourists may be OK, as will those that rely on local expats (unless there's been an exodus).

I wonder if the Scandinavians escaping the north European winter will return.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am It would be nice if, at least, you could have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner. You could sign a pledge that you won't drink more than 1, or the venue could serve only one. Of course there's the danger of bribery.
Since the ban, I always had my alcoholic drinks in a normal glass, a coffee cup or in those thermo cups.
limbu

Has Hua Hin changed?

Post by limbu »

I was not in Thailand when the borders closed because of Covid. When I return what changes will I see? For example are the malls open? The Bangkok crowds still visit at weekends? Masks are worn and social distancing is observed? Businesses are struggling? The property sector is quiet?
Thank you.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Those on the ground will have a clearer picture but from what I've seen of the place:

Malls - yes
Bangkokians - yes
Masks - yes
Businesses struggling - yes
Property sector - dead

Wish I could paint a prettier picture.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:10 am Property sector - dead
Not if you talk to an estate agent :run:
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

buksida wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:10 am Those on the ground will have a clearer picture but from what I've seen of the place:

Malls - yes
Bangkokians - yes
Masks - yes
Businesses struggling - yes
Property sector - dead

Wish I could paint a prettier picture.
Property sector - dead NO, NO, Bangkokians are buying and soon Chins.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Don't know about HH, but private schools can be added to the permanent closures nationwide:
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/more-priva ... -problems/
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Soi 80 after Covid?

Post by usual suspect »

Sorry this is not about Soi 80 bars, but...
After being linked to a bar down Bintabaat for a good 22 years the wife has decided to keep it closed!
On the announcement that the bars may well be opening again next month....The (greedy) Thai/Chinese landlady gave/offered my missus the new monthly rates and key-money... Well the figure simply cemented the fact of how
money-orientated the Chinese are..!! (It was sky high).
I DID write a post on another Thai forum hinting that this would happen nationwide here once the green-light for
bars was given, the topic was I think about how many bars will indeed re-open in Nov...?
What I did not expect that was within a week of that posting that this would happen.
But the dragon (Puy) will not be defeated.. She still plans to sell beer...But deffo not in the Binta-Block. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

As mentioned above, I reckon more than half of Hua HIn's bars and restaurants will never open again. That downtown area is like the center of Beirut, hardly a tourist hotspot.