19th Hua Hin Vintage Car Parade

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

19th Hua Hin Vintage Car Parade

Post by Big Boy »

When: 17-19 December 2021

I used to like this event, but haven't managed it for a couple of years - I have friends in town, but will make an effort to get there.
car.png
car.png (194.31 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: 19th Hua Hin Vintage Car Parade

Post by HHTel »

When I worked for BMW a group of us bought an Isetta. The MD made a ruling that only BMW's could park in front of the building so we thought we'd get one up on him. He was livid and immediately changed the rules -- only 4 wheeled BMW's can park in front of the building.

Wish I had it now. Apparently worth good money today. (we bought it for a couple of hundred quid).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In high school a friend bought one and could put his whole drum kit in there. Then, one day he ran into the back of a truck and the fire dept. had to cut him out of it. He was okay but the door was useless. Cute but not a good idea.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

How much does an Isetta cost?
Currently (in 2019), you would have to invest between 45,000 and 55,000 US-dollars (34,000 – 42,000 pounds sterling) for an Isetta in top condition, restored to its original glory.
As I said earlier, I wish I had it now. Couldn't believe the price when I googled!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:51 pm
How much does an Isetta cost?
Currently (in 2019), you would have to invest between 45,000 and 55,000 US-dollars (34,000 – 42,000 pounds sterling) for an Isetta in top condition, restored to its original glory.
As I said earlier, I wish I had it now. Couldn't believe the price when I googled!
For that amount of money, you could buy a real car.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Our pick BMW 520i SE
List price £40,125
Absolutely! BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover and more all under 40K -NEW!

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/affordab ... nder-40000

(Not in Thailand of course!)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

To return to the original subject; The promoter of the Vintage Car Parade has submitted a request to the PKK governor that he allows the restaurants to serve alcohol with meals, otherwise, people from out of town will not come here and the day will be a big flop.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Doesn't really matter what the answer is. Most restaurants are already serving alcohol with meals.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 pm Doesn't really matter what the answer is. Most restaurants are already serving alcohol with meals.
It may matter to those who would come from out of town for the weekend knowing that, officially, alcohol isn't being served and don't want to spend a dry weekend.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh, quite right. You'd need to live here or know someone that does to get that info.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 pm Doesn't really matter what the answer is. Most restaurants are already serving alcohol with meals.
There was at least one big raid by police on a large restaurant (maybe more) in the soi 94 area over the weekend, so there might be reluctance now. The bottom line is that any event is likely to be a flop with restrictions still in place, police looking for handouts, and no tourists here.

Shame, the vintage car parade used to be a great addition to Hua Hin's events calendar, but like most things in Thailand, it has been watered down and restricted.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Assuming I make it to Thailand, I'll head along. In the past the cars were parked up outside the hotel for most of the time and you could walk around and have a look at them so if you can still do that, it would be enough to keep me happy.
It's always interesting to see the variety of cars that have made it to Thailand over the years and it sometimes make me curious about the history of some of them. I know wealthy Thais are capable of importing expensive classics but I'm often left wondering how some of the less exotic models got here.
DTHH

Post by DTHH »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:48 pm The promoter of the Vintage Car Parade has submitted a request to the PKK governor that he allows the restaurants to serve alcohol with meals, otherwise, people from out of town will not come here and the day will be a big flop.
As Avani is located in Petchburi Province, could be the promoter has asked the wrong governor :wink:
However, agree with the sentiment.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

DTHH wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:13 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:48 pm The promoter of the Vintage Car Parade has submitted a request to the PKK governor that he allows the restaurants to serve alcohol with meals, otherwise, people from out of town will not come here and the day will be a big flop.
As Avani is located in Petchburi Province, could be the promoter has asked the wrong governor :wink:
However, agree with the sentiment.
The event takes place in Hua Hin, not in Petchburi.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think Petchaburi Province starts somewhere around the Northern side of the airport tunnel.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20