I Love Phants Lodge

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

I Love Phants Lodge

Post by Ratsima »

I'm trying to figure out how I ever missed this place. It's obviously not new. I've been cycling for years in the general vicinity but have never noticed it or seen a sign for it.

I Love Phants Lodge <- Google Maps Link

Apparently it's a money making arm of Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT), which operates a forest animal rescue operation. I have visited this, but never got smart enough to continue down the road to I Love Phants.

If you decide to visit, you should definitely avoid the directions offered by Google Maps. Instead, go to WFFT first and then continue south on the unpaved road to the lodge.

I did follow Google and ended up at this turnoff:
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg (141.7 KiB) Viewed 971 times
As you can see, no signs and not much of a road.
I walked my bicycle across this. It was only shin deep
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg (135.86 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Eventually I came across some small pens like this:
IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg (277.82 KiB) Viewed 971 times
A little further and I was on the veranda of the I-Love-Phants lodge. It overlooks a huge enclosure where I saw around half a dozen elephants; none very close. There were also Gibbons cavorting in the trees and plenty of birds.
IMG_0427.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 971 times
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg (150.62 KiB) Viewed 971 times
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 971 times
This is the lodge. It doesn’t look very new, which enhances my puzzlement regarding never having heard of it. I met two Thai tourists and a group of ten German women.
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 971 times
They have a nice cafe which was serving a buffet breakfast for guests. I got a hot cappuccino and sat watching the elephants. The only sign I ever saw on the premises or on any of the roads is the small one behind the counter here. Are they trying to hide? Based on their website they seem to get lots of visitors. The rooms are not cheap. They have rooms in the main lodge plus rooms in individual cottages.
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg (120.16 KiB) Viewed 971 times
After finishing my coffee I asked one of the staff for the bill (in Thai). She looked as if I’d just handed her the most difficult math problem in the world. After a few seconds her colleague whispered in her ear, in Thai, “hot cappuccino”. That started another long thinking process after which she said, 65 baht. The thing is, every single one of their hot coffee drinks costs 65 baht. No thought was required.

Based on my prior visit to the area I figured that exiting through a nearby temple would involve a lot less mud and water then the way I entered. So, I then asked how to get to the temple. This resulted in even more deep thinking which involved all three staff members. One turned her back to me and started flapping her arms around as if making semaphore signals. Turns out she was just trying to figure out which of her arms was left and which was right. she guessed wrong. At that point I was ready to change my question to, “How are you going to get home tonight?” I knew this would involve passing by the temple and simplify matters a bit. Instead I just gave up and started riding. Eventually I passed by a worker who was feeding an elephant in a pen. I asked if I was on the right road to the temple and he said, “straight ahead”.
IMG_0432.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg (162.41 KiB) Viewed 971 times
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: I Love Phants Lodge

Post by migrant »

Nice find! In looking at google maps I see 2 I Love Phants lodges fairly close to each other, perhaps that's where the faulty directions came from?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: I Love Phants Lodge

Post by Ratsima »

The correct lodge location is the one I put in the OP (I Love Phants Lodge 1). The other one is in the middle of nowhere. The navigations instructions Google gave would be OK in the dry season. But, better any time is the road between the lodge and Wildlife Friends Foundation which Google navigation doesn't seem to know about.
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 08.54.57.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 08.54.57.jpg (145.26 KiB) Viewed 869 times
If you visit, follow Google's instructions to WFFT and then the route I drew in red to the lodge.