The Ashes 2021

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Ashes 2021

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:35 am This is a totally ignorant question from a cricket ignoramus. It seems only 2 years ago England (and Wales - who seem to be keeping their heads down :run:) were on top of the cricket world. All that I seem to be seeing here (and on Sky News) is that England's cricketers are crap. Very little credit seems to be going to the Aussies for being brilliant - could it be that this Aussie team have peaked and are the best that have ever been, and no team could live with them at the moment?

Just asking.
I think Aggers forgot more about cricket than you'll ever know BB :duck:

Jonathan Philip Agnew, MBE, DL (born 4 April 1960) is an English cricket broadcaster and a former professional cricketer. He was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire, and educated at Uppingham School. He is nicknamed "Aggers", and, less commonly, "Spiro" – the latter, according to Debrett's Cricketers' Who's Who, after former US Vice-President Spiro Agnew.[1]

Agnew had a successful first-class career as a fast bowler for Leicestershire from 1979 to 1990, returning briefly in 1992. In first-class cricket he took 666 wickets at an average of 29.25. Agnew won three Test caps for England, as well as playing three One Day Internationals in the mid-1980s, although his entire international career lasted just under a year. In county cricket, Agnew's most successful seasons came toward the end of his career, after his last international match, when he had learned to swing the ball. He was second- and third-leading wicket-taker in 1987 and 1988 respectively, including the achievement of 100 wickets in a season in 1987. He was named as one of the five Cricketers of the Year by Wisden Cricketers' Almanack in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Agnew
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:52 am I think Aggers forgot more about cricket than you'll ever know BB :duck:
Not at all, next door's cat knows more about cricket than me. Unfortunately, as a Mod I am obliged to read everything, and I am seeing a very one sided description of the series. It is all about how bad England are. Very little, if anything about how well Australia have played. I was just thinking maybe the Aussies might have had something to do with the results.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:01 am
sateeb wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:52 am I think Aggers forgot more about cricket than you'll ever know BB :duck:
Not at all, next door's cat knows more about cricket than me. Unfortunately, as a Mod I am obliged to read everything, and I am seeing a very one sided description of the series. It is all about how bad England are. Very little, if anything about how well Australia have played. I was just thinking maybe the Aussies might have had something to do with the results.
As I mentioned in my earlier reply, the fact that a debutant took 6 wickets for 7 runs speaks volumes about how well Australia played in the last test, although assisted by Englands woeful batting. Also don’t underestimate the contribution from the home supporters, so it was always going to be an uphill struggle, just made easier by some very poor individual and collective performances!!
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

The debutante, Scott Boland, is 32 and had played some 40 first class cricket matches so came in with some experience. The domestic 'Big Bash' league has blooded many young players like Boland in the pressure cooker of big arenas. There is also the young batsman Will Pucovski waiting to get back to the test team.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

4TH test Australia batted first and were 126 for 3 off 46.5 overs, rain restricted play. Andersen as usual had the best bowling figures, bowled the most overs and he is the oldest player. Good first day for England.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Day 2. Australilia declared on 416 for 8. Good innings from Khawaja out for 137 :bow: after being dropped in his thirties.
Andersen and Broad, who got 5 wickets, the best 2 bowlers. Stokes off with an injury to his side. Why are there only 2 consistantly good bowlers
England 13 for 0 Crawley was caught however it was a no ball.
We could hope for a draw. :oops:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:07 pmWe could hope for a draw. :oops:
Praying for more rain lindos? :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:42 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:07 pmWe could hope for a draw. :oops:
Praying for more rain lindos? :wink:
Good idea, but not sure if that will help us. This is a good Australian team. Unfortunately we only have 2 good bowlers and one or two good batsmen. :cuss: :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Haseeb Hameed continues to impress as England's opener. :banghead: :banghead:

1st Test 25&27
2nd 0&6
3rd 0&7
4th 6
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The day started promising with a England beginning the delayed start at 13-0, but in true fashion slumped to a dismal 36-4 by lunchtime. Prospects looking good for a follow on before play finishes for the day, with the game all over by tomorrow. Not sure why I’m feeling so pessimistic?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

No worries DB. The weather gods for the next 2 days,(if we survive today), are conspiring to produce an unlikely draw. :thumb: :laugh:

― George Carlin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am No worries DB. The weather gods for the next 2 days,(if we survive today), are conspiring to produce an unlikely draw. :thumb: :laugh:
That’s probably the only way England can get anything out of this match!! 🌧
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Surprisingly England 258 for 7, Stokes was out for 66 Bairstow not out for 103, on day 3. 2 days to go so a draw could be possible. Hameed has to be sent home pathetic performance.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Watching the news reports in the UK this morning was somewhat sad....... England avoiding the "follow-on" and Bairstow's ton was cause for major celebration and a literal match victory!! A tad premature methinks...... :roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Just watching high lights and Stokes was very lucky the ball clearly hits the wicket you can see an obvious deflection, however because the bails were not dislodged it was not out. I almost felt sorry for the bowler. :) :wink: