Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Post by hhinner »

huahin4ever wrote:
hhinner wrote:^^ Has decriminalization and subsequent recreational use caused a big problem? Has it led to a societal breakdown? Have traffic deaths and injuries increased in number because of it?

Or is the problem really that small businesses have sprung up and saturated the market before one of the big family monopolies (or even a state monopoly) could mobilise to take advantage?
Yes to all your questions. Walking up and down Soi 94, 80 and Binta I see stoned zombies everywhere ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
Makes a change from being drunk I suppose, and without the belligerence also. Have you a link to a report about increased traffic deaths and injuries?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wandering around stoned is much better than getting into a pickup truck or picking up a gun with a gut full of lao khao (daily occurrences in Thailand)!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:27 pm Wandering around stoned is much better than getting into a pickup truck or picking up a gun with a gut full of lao khao (daily occurrences in Thailand)!
This has always been the argument for legalisation in places. If alcohol can be legal, with all the problems it causes, it's utterly bizarre for weed to be illegal.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

While Thailand almost openly encourages trade in Cannabis, it’s a very different story in nearby Singapore, where they have just executed someone trafficking the drug!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65395390
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Make the most of it - could be plans coming to curb the growing/sale of cannabis after the forthcoming elections!!
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-election
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The genie is out of the bottle and they are going to have a hard time getting it back in, if ever. And what about the other elephant in the room, the kratom plant? Everyone has a plant or three in their garden (of both) and it is not going to die a sudden death.. Or be put to bed, so to speak.
วินเชนท์
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Normal weed is almost harmless. Should have been legalised everywhere a long time ago. It carries little to no risk at all. Can't say the same for cigarettes or alcohol.

Skunk (weed, same same but different), on the other hand, is not harmless. So named for it's potent smell. An unpollinated cross-breed of Cannabis Indica (65%) and Cannabis Sativa (35%) it contains far higher levels of THC. The most popular type of weed in the UK. Skunk has been attributed to long-term mental health problems, along with paranoia and hallucinations (never had hallucinations myself) when smoked during brain development.

I liked the Thai weed when I was there. Nothing too potent, a nice mellow high. Skunk was rare at the time. In a country of Lao Kao, to wage a war on weed is ridiculous. But, personally, I wouldn't agree with skunk being more widely available.

'Tis a balancing act.

:cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:06 am Normal weed is almost harmless. Should have been legalised everywhere a long time ago. It carries little to no risk at all. Can't say the same for cigarettes or alcohol.

Skunk (weed, same same but different), on the other hand, is not harmless. So named for it's potent smell. An unpollinated cross-breed of Cannabis Indica (65%) and Cannabis Sativa (35%) it contains far higher levels of THC. The most popular type of weed in the UK. Skunk has been attributed to long-term mental health problems, along with paranoia and hallucinations (never had hallucinations myself) when smoked during brain development.

I liked the Thai weed when I was there. Nothing too potent, a nice mellow high. Skunk was rare at the time. In a country of Lao Kao, to wage a war on weed is ridiculous. But, personally, I wouldn't agree with skunk being more widely available.

'Tis a balancing act.

And yet it is reported that Cannabis can have a significant (temporary) affect on the brain, making it dangerous for someone to drive a car (or operate machinery)!!
https://www.rehab4addiction.co.uk/blog/ ... en%20death.
DDD

Post by DDD »

With an absence of quality control you are open to having many things show up in the weed you put in your body. I’m much more concerned about this now that I’m older and things have more of an affect on me. That includes alcohol, weed, food, coffee, medicine, sex, sleep, marriage... Just going for a walk can be my big activity for the day. When I was younger it didnt occur to me to worry about most of that.

Think of weed like medicine; prescribed medicine has good levels of quality control, or you can buy something “similar” at a local shop or online and get some wild variations. Not to say you wont get addicted to what you take no mater how you get it.

Get some seed and grow your own. Then you are probably only adding whatever is in your garden soil, air quality and water to your weed.

“Start low and go slow” is great life advice.
Oh but to be wafted away
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:02 am
Lost wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:06 am Normal weed is almost harmless. Should have been legalised everywhere a long time ago. It carries little to no risk at all. Can't say the same for cigarettes or alcohol.

'Tis a balancing act.

And yet it is reported that Cannabis can have a significant (temporary) affect on the brain, making it dangerous for someone to drive a car (or operate machinery)!!
https://www.rehab4addiction.co.uk/blog/ ... en%20death.
Well, yes. Don't use your digger while stoned. :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

What a difference between Thailand and Singapore:
Singapore hangs 2 cannabis traffickers in 3 weeks

A man was hanged at Changi Prison in eastern Singapore at dawn today for trafficking 1.5 kilogrammes of cannabis. He is the second cannabis trafficker to be executed at the prison in just three weeks.

The 37 year old ethnic Malay Singaporean was hanged today after a last-minute plea to stop the execution was rejected by the appeal court without a hearing.

In Singapore, trafficking just 500 grammes of cannabis is punishable by the death penalty. The man executed today, whose name is withheld due to his family’s wishes for privacy, was found guilty of trafficking three times that amount in 2019.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/cannabi ... in-3-weeks
buksida

Post by buksida »

Predictable ...

Cholnan signs bill banning recreational use of weed
Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew has signed proposed legislation regarding cannabis, emphasising that it cannot be used for recreational purposes.

"The new law will clearly stipulate that cannabis must be used for medical purposes only. It will also encourage the use of cannabis for a range of health benefits," Dr Cholnan said on Saturday after signing the bill.

"Regarding the using of cannabis for recreational purposes, there will be a clear measure to control and prevent this.

"The measure may come in the form of a ministerial regulation passed by the cabinet, or from a panel," he said.

If the cabinet approves the principle of the bill, it will be submitted to the Lower House for consideration.

Regarding a regulation by the Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine Department which lists cannabis as a controlled herb, Dr Cholnan said the rule might need to be revised if it contradicts the new law.

"Whether the buying of cannabis will require a medical certificate or not has not been included in the bill just yet. This may have to depend on the enforcement of organic laws," he said.

But using cannabis at home for medical purposes must be based on correct medical procedures and research, he said.

Asked about the impact on cannabis stores, Dr Cholnan said there have been no such laws set to revoke licences for running legally-registered stores. But once the law is put in place, cannabis stores must sell only the parts of the cannabis plant that are deemed legal in Thailand.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... se-of-weed

No idea what is going to happen to all the weed shops that have sprouted around Hua Hin, but the BIB are sure to be happy having another source of revenue ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have no idea of the fine details but in the UK you read about the cops pulling someone over and test them for cannabis and quite often the accused states that they haven’t taken any since last night, but still fail a drug swipe test and end up with a 12 month ban - they are obviously categorising smoking weed, the same as drink driving, so maybe Thailand should be commended for taking a more serious view of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:19 pm I have no idea of the fine details but in the UK you read about the cops pulling someone over and test them for cannabis and quite often the accused states that they haven’t taken any since last night, but still fail a drug swipe test and end up with a 12 month ban - they are obviously categorising smoking weed, the same as drink driving, so maybe Thailand should be commended for taking a more serious view of it!!
The simple answer to that is that driving under the influence of cannabis can be as dangerous as drink driving, then there are all the other drugs to factor in.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:20 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:19 pm I have no idea of the fine details but in the UK you read about the cops pulling someone over and test them for cannabis and quite often the accused states that they haven’t taken any since last night, but still fail a drug swipe test and end up with a 12 month ban - they are obviously categorising smoking weed, the same as drink driving, so maybe Thailand should be commended for taking a more serious view of it!!
The simple answer to that is that driving under the influence of cannabis can be as dangerous as drink driving, then there are all the other drugs to factor in.
Well yes, that’s what I was suggesting!!