Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Post by bigston »

Back in Aus, the car i drove could use regular unleaded. "91 "
e 20 or unleaded "95"
i did a lot of km per year.
the cost difference between 91 and 95 was anything up to 15 % or more Higher, so i used 91
i did try a few tanks of 95 and the consumption was noticeably lower but not warranting paying the extra
the 95 also is meant to be a cleaner fuel for the engine
the e 20 would have run the car ok with a slightly lower MPG / KMl than 91
here i have a new car and use 95 , for the very little extra over 91 id keep using the 95
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

FFS :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I pulled into one of those stations that have replaced Esso yesterday. I confidently pulled up to the B7 pump. Girl at the pump starts rabbiting on in Thai with Mrs BB. Mrs BB turns to me and says you don't want this petrol (yes, she calls diesel petrol). I say, yes I do, I want B7. Oh, this is the wrong B7 for your car.

FFS, why have 2 different grades of the same named fuel? My kind of B7 was served at the next row of pumps. What is this all about? No wonder we don't have self service pumps here. TIT

Why not call it B8 or B6? Confused? Yes, I was.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I accept that, but why multiple types of B7? I think it was B7 Premium and B7 Superior (could be something similar). It's hard enough seeing the miniature B7 as you approach the pumps as it is.

[Edit] I've made a mental note to avoid that brand of garage in future to avoid confusion.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:04 pm Yes, I accept that, but why multiple types of B7? I think it was B7 Premium and B7 Superior (could be something similar). It's hard enough seeing the miniature B7 as you approach the pumps as it is.

[Edit] I've made a mental note to avoid that brand of garage in future to avoid confusion.
B7 is for high speed diesel engines, although as usual, the Thais claim it is to comply with Euro 5 standards for modern engines, whereas Euro 5 concerns the sulpur content of the fuel.

B 20 is for slower revving diesel engines such as in trucks, trains, boats and maybe farm tractors. The Bio additive was introduced in an attempt to please truck owners.

If the station has recently changed hands they may not yet have changed the labels on the pumps.

There are also several "premium" types of high speed diesel. These fuels have additives in them that are claimed to clean fuel injection systems. The additives vary depending on which fuel company is selling the fuel, and also how it is labelled.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here you go, the 2 different B7s. Looking at the price difference, I guess I should be grateful to the pump assistant,

bangchak.png
bangchak.png (43.63 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Even the colour coding doesn't help a lot. You'd have thought 2 completely contrasting colours could have been used.

I don't read Thai, just look for the miniature B7 on the pump.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

The more expensive one is "premium" though no idea what is in it to warrant the 46% price increase.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Something is changing with the gasoline offerings as well. I read it somewhere and will post if I see it again. Choices will be cut down to 3 ?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm The more expensive one is "premium" though no idea what is in it to warrant the 46% price increase.
LOL, can you imagine my face if the attendant had simply filled up, and asked for the cash? I'd have probably got an extra bottle of free water though. I will just avoid that chain of fuel stations in case the next assistant isn't as nice.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

We've been hearing a few bad things about PTT such as skimming on the fills and low-grade fuels so have started avoiding them now and prefer Shell or Caltex.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

FYI the wife reports Caltex is still offering non-gasohol 95 octane priced in the high 40's. Shell no longer is. Esso was the only other and they are not Esso now, so I doubt the new company still sells it.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm The more expensive one is "premium" though no idea what is in it to warrant the 46% price increase.
The oil companies are not obliged to publish what additives are in their products. They are obliged to maintain and make known what the Cetane number is of their product, and in the case of Euro 5, as per the following:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/en590-di ... hemi-qka7f

EN590 diesel cetane number
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is what Bangchak sell. I can't tell the difference between B7s, so haven't got a clue what non-gasohol 95 octane is.

https://www.bangchak.co.th/en/oilprice

Points 48; Position 20
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I use ShelL V Power (petrol and diesel) but I really don't know its worth the extra. Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent recommended it.