Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Post by Big Boy »

Until recently I've pulled into a petrol station and asked them to fill me up with diesel. I usually use the Esso station in the middle of town (purely because they give bottles of water), although any fuel stop I've used throughout Thailand, I've pulled up and asked for diesel - no problem.

About 6 weeks ago, I had to stop on the way to Ratchaburi to fill up. As usual, I asked for diesel, to which they asked which one? FFS, there were 3 different types of diesel - I didn't have a clue. I think there was a B7, a B10 and something else. I didn't have a clue. In the end they put something in, and everything was good. I asked my son which one they'd given me, but he says he didn't notice. The car made it Ratchaburi and back, and has also been to Chonburi since, so I guess everything was OK.

My car has been having a mid-life bodywork makeover for a few weeks. I had a hire car to bridge the gap - a Toyota Avanza. OK, it sounded like a bag of old bolts, but it wasn't a bad little run-around, and it was good for the wheelchair. Usual problem with a hire car - what fuel? It was very helpful, the fuel was indicated inside the fuel cap cover. E20 or E91. I memorised E20. I pulled into to filling station, and asked for E20. The pump assistant already had the E91 nozzle in his hand, and looked strangely when I asked for E20. He filled the car up, and I was away with no problem. I noticed on the way out that E20 was 1฿/litre cheaper, but apart from that, I haven't a clue what the difference was in respect of suitability for the car. The bag of bolts went back today, so I guess I didn't break it. Quite economical on fuel as well.

So, this afternoon I was out in my own car, and it was telling me to fill up. I pulled into a filling station. This time 2 types of diesel. Both exactly the same price. Again I didn't have a clue. 2 choices, B7, and one with a load of Thai writing. The pump assistant decided I needed the one with the Thai writing, although looking around, B7 seemed to be most common. I drove home OK, so I guess it was OK.

Can somebody please explain why there seems to be a variety of fuels doing the same job, and which one I should be using in a 2012 Ford Ranger?

I have tried Googling the answer, but on this occasion Google seems as confused as me.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Until recently I've pulled into a petrol station and asked them to fill me up with diesel. I usually use the Esso station in the middle of town (purely because they give bottles of water), although any fuel stop I've used throughout Thailand, I've pulled up and asked for diesel - no problem.

About 6 weeks ago, I had to stop on the way to Ratchaburi to fill up. As usual, I asked for diesel, to which they asked which one? FFS, there were 3 different types of diesel - I didn't have a clue. I think there was a B7, a B10 and something else. I didn't have a clue. In the end they put something in, and everything was good. I asked my son which one they'd given me, but he says he didn't notice. The car made it Ratchaburi and back, and has also been to Chonburi since, so I guess everything was OK.

My car has been having a mid-life bodywork makeover for a few weeks. I had a hire car to bridge the gap - a Toyota Avanza. OK, it sounded like a bag of old bolts, but it wasn't a bad little run-around, and it was good for the wheelchair. Usual problem with a hire car - what fuel? It was very helpful, the fuel was indicated inside the fuel cap cover. E20 or E91. I memorised E20. I pulled into to filling station, and asked for E20. The pump assistant already had the E91 nozzle in his hand, and looked strangely when I asked for E20. He filled the car up, and I was away with no problem. I noticed on the way out that E20 was 1฿/litre cheaper, but apart from that, I haven't a clue what the difference was in respect of suitability for the car. The bag of bolts went back today, so I guess I didn't break it. Quite economical on fuel as well.

So, this afternoon I was out in my own car, and it was telling me to fill up. I pulled into a filling station. This time 2 types of diesel. Both exactly the same price. Again I didn't have a clue. 2 choices, B7, and one with a load of Thai writing. The pump assistant decided I needed the one with the Thai writing, although looking around, B7 seemed to be most common. I drove home OK, so I guess it was OK.

Can somebody please explain why there seems to be a variety of fuels doing the same job, and which one I should be using in a 2012 Ford Ranger?

I have tried Googling the answer, but on this occasion Google seems as confused as me.
As far as I’m aware the B7 B10 and B20 denotes the % amount of biofuel (palm oil) in the diesel. I’m fairly certain that nearly all diesel cars can use B7 and B10 but there may be some that shouldn’t use B20 which is 20% biofuel. Unless you can find out for certain, I’d stick with B7/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Until recently I've pulled into a petrol station and asked them to fill me up with diesel. I usually use the Esso station in the middle of town (purely because they give bottles of water), although any fuel stop I've used throughout Thailand, I've pulled up and asked for diesel - no problem.

As far as I’m aware the B7 B10 and B20 denotes the % amount of biofuel (palm oil) in the diesel. I’m fairly certain that nearly all diesel cars can use B7 and B10 but there may be some that shouldn’t use B20 which is 20% biofuel. Unless you can find out for certain, I’d stick with B7/10.

This might help

https://www.nationthailand.com/tech/30377965

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Brilliant, thank you. So B7 or maybe B10. Avoid the B20. No idea what they put in today, but it still works. I'd better top up with some B7 as soon as possible though. The newer Ranger is in that article, but I'm not sure about mine.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:20 pm Brilliant, thank you. So B7 or maybe B10. Avoid the B20. No idea what they put in today, but it still works. I'd better top up with some B7 as soon as possible though. The newer Ranger is in that article, but I'm not sure about mine.
Short term even B20 will be fine, it’s only prolonged use that could cause damage, if it’s not recommended for your particular model.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, there was no number on the pump they gave me. Just a load of Thai writing. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't see what they put in. The only consolation is it was a Blue pump. All B20 pumps on Google Images seem to be red writing.

Whatever, now that I know, I will use B7 whenever possible, and B10 if not available.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've often been directed to a B7/B10 pump. When I point out that I want 'bog standard' diesel they will reluctantly point me to a different pump. A couple of times I've noticed that ordinary diesel is actually cheaper than these B's.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I must admit that I spent most of last month in Thailand and paid no attention to what diesel I bought, I went to the PTT station nearby everytime and with my usual English aquired foreign language skills, I just said "diesel" whilst holding up a 1000bt note. It seemed to work!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My previous car was a 2015 Pajero Sport than ran very happily on B20 and was normally about 1B per litre cheaper than B10.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I have probably wasted a lot of money, but I've always been filling Shell V-power Diesel

YNWA
YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh, so there is a 4th diesel then? Original diesel :shock: In fact huahin4ever has just thrown a 5th into the equation - I've only ever used a Shell station once in Thailand, and that was the very first time I filled my car. Ford gave me a voucher for 500฿ of fuel that needed to be redeemed at a Shell station.

I guess this is what happens when you continually use the same gas station for 10 years for 95% of your fuel. These fuel developments have passed me by. :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Shell provides premium products at premium prices

The Shell Company of Thailand Ltd. reinforced its leadership in a premium fuel with advanced quality innovation through the launch of the new Shell V-Power Diesel with DYNAFLEX Technology for Diesel B10-compatible vehicles in response to consumers’ demand for more diesel options.

The new Shell V-Power Diesel demonstrates the company’s continued support of government policy and palm oil farmers. This new premium fuel will be available for consumers to experience greater engine performance and efficiency with a special promotion.

Mr. Ruengsak Srithanawiboonchai, Acting Executive Director of Retail Business, the Shell Company of Thailand Ltd., said: “As the number one brand in the high-quality premium fuel market, guaranteed by consumers’ votes from the Thailand Automotive Quality Awards (TAQA) in the ‘Outstanding Satisfaction for Fuels’ award for two years in a row, Shell understands that consumers today look for high-quality fuels that help improve their diesel engines’ efficiency.

Shell is constantly developing advanced fuel innovations for consumers and is the first energy company in Thailand to launch a high-quality premium fuel, specifically for Diesel B10-compatible vehicles. With the innovative DYNAFLEX technology developed and designed in collaboration with Scuderia Ferrari, the new Shell V-Power Diesel helps clean up and prevent dirt formation, while also maximize engine performance.

Consumers can experience this greater engine performance and efficiency of the new Shell V-Power Diesel at more than 30 participating Shell stations today and by next year, Shell V-Power Diesel will be offered nationwide.”

With this launch, consumers can discover Shell’s marketing activities, prepared for the introduction of the new Shell V-Power Diesel. In addition to a more affordable price, consumers can enjoy the exciting 10.10 B10 Mega Points campaign, which offers Shell ClubSmart and Shell GO+ members more special benefits by earning ten times the reward points at participating Shell stations from 10 October – 14 November 2020.

Shell is committed to ‘Make Life’s Journeys Better’, with more and cleaner energy as well as to deliver high value-for-money products and services, fulfilling every purpose of the consumer’s journey. Consumers can have confidence in the safety and hygiene measures at all Shell stations. More information on availability of the new Shell V-Power Diesel can be found at www.shell.co.th/th_th/motorists/shell-s ... cator.html
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't avoid Shell because of the quality of their fuel. I avoid them because of the standard of their filling stations - I've taken a few comfort breaks (not for fuel) over the years and have been less than impressed to the extent I just avoid them now. Maybe they have improved, but the damage has been done.

PTT stations aren't perfect, but they're pretty consistent/acceptable. If on a long journey, I tend to look for PTT these days.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a chart of what seems to be available. I have no idea what those in Thai represent. It's published everyday on the Thai Enquirer site.

phpusl3AKPM.jpg
phpusl3AKPM.jpg (30.01 KiB) Viewed 624 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, that confuses things even more. 2 types of B7, with a 6฿/litre difference.

Is this just a Thai thing? I remember leaded, unleaded and diesel before coming to Thailand.

I'm guessing I bought the 3rd one down the list yesterday i.e. Thai writing, but no B number.

Points 48; Position 20