Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Different Fuel Grades - How to Choose

Post by VincentD »

Referencing Pete's post, the top purple one is Premium B7, next one down standard B7 and third is B10.
They relabelled the grades sometime in October 2020 fyi.
Hope that helps.
BTW B7 is the old standard (pre-relabelling exercise) diesel.. I don't drive a diesel but had to find out if when using a friend's pickup..
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Why pay more for premium? It has a higher cetane number, more detergents and higher lubrication properties, thus better power and less black smoke.
Petrol is classified by octane number, higher number more power and less likelihood of detonation.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL or just be a dinosaur like me and go to Esso in the centre of town. You don't seem to get a choice there :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Me dinosaur too. Unfortunately I drive an older petrol vehicle that is optimised for standard 95 octane. This is almost impossible to find, with most places having that gasohol (typically a 10% ethanol blend) and nothing else, so much so that whenever I find a station that has it, it is locked into my gps memory..
Cheers and Happy New Year!
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I took this from the Shell website, so it could be the difference between “normal” diesel and “V Power” diesel?

Reference Price on Date 29/12/2021
Product Baht/Litre
Shell FuelSave Gasohol E20: 30.34
Shell FuelSave Gasohol 91: 31.58
Shell FuelSave Gasohol 95: 31.85
Shell V-Power Gasohol 95: 39.34
Shell Diesel B20: 29.54
Shell FuelSave Diesel: 29.54
Shell FuelSave Diesel B7: 29.54
Shell V-Power Diesel: 35.99
Shell V-Power Diesel B7: 35.99
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What is "B7"? Some kind of additive to clean your valves/pistons?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:57 pm What is "B7"? Some kind of additive to clean your valves/pistons?
It’s diesel with 7% biofuel - typically palm oil.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

VincentD wrote:Me dinosaur too. Unfortunately I drive an older petrol vehicle that is optimised for standard 95 octane. This is almost impossible to find, with most places having that gasohol (typically a 10% ethanol blend) and nothing else, so much so that whenever I find a station that has it, it is locked into my gps memory..
Cheers and Happy New Year!
Go for PTT and those stations which have the light yellow color pumps. This is pure benzene 95 octane and the best you can get. I would even say it is better than Shell V-Power too since that one is still a Gasohol I.e. 10% ethanol. Benzene is pure gasoline.

YNWA!

YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Believe what you want:

Thailand to produce only B7 diesel fuel until next March to reduce diesel prices
November 24, 2021

Thailand’s Energy Policy and Planning office (EPPO) decided today (Wednesday) to instruct oil refineries to produce just one type of diesel fuel (B7), from December until next March, to lower the price to around 28 baht/litre, and oil traders to maintain the marketing fee at 1.40 baht/litre. The measures are to ease the impact on truck operators as oil prices rise globally.

EPPO Director-General Wattanapong Kurovat, said today that the committee, chaired by Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow, also decided the retail price at pump will remain at no more than 30 baht/litre.

B7 diesel fuel is mixed with only 7% bio-diesel or palm oil. Currently, there are three types of diesel fuel, B7, B10 and B20, but B7 is the most popular among truckers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-t ... el-prices/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:08 pm
.....B7 diesel fuel is mixed with only 7% bio-diesel or palm oil. Currently, there are three types of diesel fuel, B7, B10 and B20, but B7 is the most popular among truckers.

That makes sense, as per my understanding the lower the bio the better the mileage. Applies to gasoline as well. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:32 pm
Nereus wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:08 pm
.....B7 diesel fuel is mixed with only 7% bio-diesel or palm oil. Currently, there are three types of diesel fuel, B7, B10 and B20, but B7 is the most popular among truckers.

That makes sense, as per my understanding the lower the bio the better the mileage. Applies to gasoline as well. :cheers:
I doubt that milage has any bearing on it! These pricks are only interested in the bottom line, and using palm oil cuts into their profit margins.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I would have expected a thread like this when the changes happened, not a considerable time after. I learnt I should, rightly or wrongly, use B7, and have done ever since. Pumps are very clearly marked for B7 in PTT.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

For me, I nearly always use the Esso station in town, and I think theirs is take it or leave it. In the meantime the changes have swept by.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Agency restricts options to biodiesel B5

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... odiesel-b5

The Energy Policy Administration Committee (Epac) has decided to sell only diesel blended with 5% palm oil-derived methyl ester at petrol stations from this Saturday, instead of the 7% formula, as it is struggling to deal with soaring global oil prices.

The change does not decrease the diesel price, but should ease the government's financial burden, as the state put a cap on diesel prices at 30 baht a litre since last year.

Called biodiesel B5 because of the 5% methyl ester mix, the fuel is a single-grade biodiesel that Epac estimates will be sold domestically until the end of March.

The mix of diesel with methyl ester aims to reduce dependence on oil and support palm oil prices, but the authorities need to reduce the methyl ester proportion as prices of both diesel and methyl ester have increased.

The reference price of methyl ester, also known as purified biodiesel, or B100, currently stands at 57.28 baht a litre, while the ex-refinery price of high-speed diesel is 24.71 baht a litre, according to the Energy Policy and Planning Office (Eppo).

Methyl ester was priced at 46.88 baht a litre in November last year.

The reduction of methyl ester to 5% followed a meeting of Epac, chaired by Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow, on Monday night. Global oil prices remain at high levels, he said.

Mr Supattanapong said the reduction will help the state Oil Fund, which is supported by 20 billion baht in loans from commercial banks as it subsidises the diesel price cap.

Epac earlier postponed the offering of 10% and 20% methyl ester blended diesel, forcing fuel retailers to sell only biodiesel B7 from Dec 1 last year to March this year.

For the sale of biodiesel B7, subsidies would fall to 2.95 billion baht a month, down from 4 billion a month, Eppo said earlier.

Global oil prices are expected to remain high and fluctuate throughout this year, said Montri Rawanchaikul, chief executive of PTT Exploration and Production Plc (PTTEP). A lack of new oil and gas drilling during the pandemic led to a drop in petroleum production, he said.

As more countries reopened their borders, one result was higher demand for energy, said Mr Montri. Once demand and supply of oil stabilise, global oil prices will range from US$70-75 per barrel, according to PTTEP.

The company expects its petroleum sales to rise by 14% this year to 417 kilo barrels of oil equivalent per day (KBOED), up from an average of 410 KBOED last year, thanks to increased gas production assets the last couple of years.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Over the last year the price differential between 91 and 95 has come down to only a few satang at PTT. I seem to recall that 95 has a higher calorific value and thus would give more MPG (or less litre/100km). The current difference of about 20-30 satang is less than 1% on the price of 91.

Anyone have any more info on this ? Is it better just to use 95 ? The car (less than 6 months) will accept 95/91/E20/E10

Thanks