Menu/food prices rising in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Menu/food prices rising in Thailand

Post by PeteC »

I would expect the same everywhere soon, if not already.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... in-bangkok (Example photos at link)

Eateries in Silom — the central business district of Bangkok — can no longer carry their increasing costs, particularly pork and chicken eggs, with most having to raise their prices by five to 10 baht a dish.

Signs are put up in front of their restaurants, food carts and stalls on Wednesday, notifying customers of price increases.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Menu prices rising in Bangkok

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 am I would expect the same everywhere soon, if not already.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... in-bangkok (Example photos at link)

Eateries in Silom — the central business district of Bangkok — can no longer carry their increasing costs, particularly pork and chicken eggs, with most having to raise their prices by five to 10 baht a dish.

Signs are put up in front of their restaurants, food carts and stalls on Wednesday, notifying customers of price increases.
I’m surprised that it’s only 5-10 Baht, with prices of meat sky rocketing, I wound not have been surprised by even bigger increases?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Hua Hin, SS Indian restaurant , all lamb dishes before 220.00 Bhat jumped to 299.00 Bhat.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The rising eggs price is a curious one. Thailand doesn't exactly have a shortage of chickens, there must be about a hundred of the noisy feckers within a 100-meter radius of my house. Its like a plague of them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:The rising eggs price is a curious one. Thailand doesn't exactly have a shortage of chickens, there must be about a hundred of the noisy feckers within a 100-meter radius of my house. Its like a plague of them.
I was in a market yesterday and egg prices were the same as they've been for months.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Jurin said his ministry had not yet approved a price increase and would take legal action against anyone hiking egg or chicken meat prices to exploit consumers.
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010926
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I went to Makro this morning and Chicken breasts were 76 Baht a kilo, about 2 months ago they were 50 or less so that’s at least a 50% increase - still not expensive as such for westerners but still a big increase. Similarly, Pork belly with the skin on was 236 Baht a kilo - it must be hurting locals quite a bit.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Internal Trade Department and traders in the poultry industry have agreed to freeze chicken prices for six months while steps are taken to solve the problem of soaring pork prices, department director general Wattanasak Sua-iam said on Tuesday.

He said the price of live chickens at farms is capped at 33.50 baht per kilogramme; fresh whole slaughtered chicken (with or without offal) at 60-65 baht/kg, thighs and drumsticks at 60-65 baht/kg and breast at 65-70 baht/kg. The price controls are effective until the end of June.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... ork-prices
Pork prices in wet markets have risen to 210 to 250 baht per kilogramme, depending on the cut - the highest in years. The price started to climb in May last year, from around 115 baht.

A ready-to-eat food seller at Kim Heng market in Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima province who gave her name as Oy said on Tuesday she had replaced pork with chicken and fish on her menu to cut costs.

"I use chicken for my red curry with pumpkin instead of pork," she said, giving an example.

In the South of the country, at Trang municpal market, a butcher who gave her name as Niew also said her business was suffering from the high prices. Many regular customers had moved away from pork and were buying chicken because it was cheaper.

Preecha Kitthaworn, the president of the Southern Swine Raisers Association, has said the high prices of pork was due to a supply shortage caused by the spread of Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrom (PRRS) since 2020.

The Swine Raisers Association of Thailand reported on Monday there were now only 80,000 pig farmers nationwide, a drop from 200,000, because of the continued spread of PRRS in the herds and rising production costs. The association said many were left no option but to close down and look for other work.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... tervention

So pork is the problem, not chicken. Although because of the pork situation, the demand for chicken becomes greater.
buksida

Re: Menu/food prices rising in Bangkok

Post by buksida »

The pork price situation is twofold: Swine flu is now prevalent in Thailand, and CP has been profiting hugely by exporting pork to China which affects local supply and demand.

I still don't get the chicken thing, out of the cities they are everywhere and are becoming a pest. Where I live, for example, most households have at least 8-10 chickens - its a nightmare living next to the noisy bastards and their incessant screeching all day and night.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

They've been denying African swine fever despite evidence to the contrary.

25/12/2021 Taipei Times https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan ... 2003770163

African swine fever found in pack of Thai sausages

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They've known it for a long time IMO, but have just buried it as it's not dangerous for human consumption. The USA and Canada has surplus pork in astonishing quantities, but Thailand doesn't want to import it because of the antibiotics used, so they say. What they should say is that even with shipping and middleman cuts the selling price here would be less expensive than Thai produced pork and subsequently undercut local farmers. Never win elections that way, and perhaps not win allowing a pork shortage and bankrupt local farmers because of African Swine Flu. They have their tit in a wringer it seems. :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 pm They have their tit in a wringer it seems. :roll:
I've never heard that expression before :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Menu/food prices rising in Bangkok and Thailand

Post by HHTel »

The pork shortage are worrying for the dogs here!
Dog with a gun.jpg
Dog with a gun.jpg (81.41 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

The following has been posted on Facebook but I haven't verified if the prices are correct, sounds a very big increase
Quote :
《Hi All quick note due to the massive increase of the price of pork Chicken Tomatoes etc
Pork Loin which we make our Bacon & Canadian Bacon with has risen from 2 weeks ago from 139b Kg to now 219b kg
Chicken Breasts Legs etc from 39b to 79b
Tomatoes from 39b to 79b and so on

Sorry to say until everything goes back to normal if at all we have raised or prices a little.
Nothing drastic just to cover some of the price increases of everything now.
Our Menu is Still good value for your money All Home made food what else.
Sunday Roasts will still stay the same at the moment Pork/Chicken 160b Lamb & Beef 249b》
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:26 pm The following has been posted on Facebook but I haven't verified if the prices are correct, sounds a very big increase
Quote :
《Hi All quick note due to the massive increase of the price of pork Chicken Tomatoes etc
Pork Loin which we make our Bacon & Canadian Bacon with has risen from 2 weeks ago from 139b Kg to now 219b kg
Chicken Breasts Legs etc from 39b to 79b
Tomatoes from 39b to 79b and so on

Sorry to say until everything goes back to normal if at all we have raised or prices a little.
Nothing drastic just to cover some of the price increases of everything now.
Our Menu is Still good value for your money All Home made food what else.
Sunday Roasts will still stay the same at the moment Pork/Chicken 160b Lamb & Beef 249b》
Where is this Joelle?