Coming From a Garden City

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
joashchee
Rookie
Rookie

Coming From a Garden City

Post by joashchee »

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and to the Hua Hin area in general. The last time I was in Thailand with my family was in 2018 and we had a fantastic time at Khao Yai!

Doing lots of reading now and finding a great treasure trove of information and knowledge here... family's exploring the possibility of moving over there from Singapore where we are at now.

Hope to meet up with more folks soon, online and offline :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Coming From a Garden City

Post by HHTel »

Welcome to our world!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think that two things that immediately come to my mind, moving from Singapore you’ll find most things a lot cheaper and it won’t be as congested, but you’ll no doubt be giving up a wonderful environment in many respects. I’ve only had two short business trips to Singapore and loved it and was hoping to spend my last few years of work based there, but alas our Company got taken over and that was the end of that.

Good luck if you decide to move here permanently and fire away with any specific questions
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Welcome to the forum 🍻
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Welcome to the forum from another guy from Singapore. I've been on the forum since early 2000 and resident in Thailand for more than 30 years. If you are thinking of coming over, do consider the differences in culture and the language. Also explore the visa requirements and consider extended periods of stay before considering any jump. Having said that, I'm happy here and am in no hurry to return to SG.
วินเชนท์
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Not from Welwyn Garden City? Ah, Singapura. Welcome to the forum.
joashchee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joashchee »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! And really appreciate the quick thoughts and sharing. I'll definitely take it all to heart.

Most likely going to start my first explorative trip around March. :)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joashchee wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:25 am Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! And really appreciate the quick thoughts and sharing. I'll definitely take it all to heart.

Most likely going to start my first explorative trip around March. :)
Are you an expatriate living/working in Singapore - if so where was “home”?
joashchee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joashchee »

I'm a Singaporean that's looking for something outside of our "bubble".

Growing up in Singapore has provided me with a wonderful environment, as you've mentioned earlier, but I understand that there's a lot more to the world and the people living in it than what is represented here. After all, we are really a tiny dot on the map, making the most of it :)

Looking to expand my personal mission and vision in life, beyond borders. Hopefully spending the rest of my life meaningfully and leaving a worthwhile legacy.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joashchee wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:09 am I'm a Singaporean that's looking for something outside of our "bubble".

Growing up in Singapore has provided me with a wonderful environment, as you've mentioned earlier, but I understand that there's a lot more to the world and the people living in it than what is represented here. After all, we are really a tiny dot on the map, making the most of it :)

Looking to expand my personal mission and vision in life, beyond borders. Hopefully spending the rest of my life meaningfully and leaving a worthwhile legacy.
It’s interesting to hear from somebody like yourself, looking to escape from your “bubble” but looking from the outside I’m sure there must be good reasons for you wanting to expand your horizons!!

Clearly many things have changed everywhere in the world over the past two years and Thailand is definitely very different than it was pre-pandemic. I don’t think it will ever be the same easy going place it was, certainly not in the short-term and while the country remains under the current administration, so my only advice would be to tread cautiously and don’t burn any bridges too soon.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Joashchee - (a bit long) one thing you will find that as the cost of living here is much lower, you will also find your earning power suffers a similar fate. Don't expect the same salary your getting now. Also, I'm assuming your family is from Singapore so they won't be allowed to work. Medical expenses do not come cheap, especially for non-Thais.
I'm very aware of the situation in Singapore as I do participate in a couple of chat groups but as you seem to have a fairly stable family situation there I'd advise just holidays here for now.
I speak, read and write the language, my wife is Thai and my children have Thai citizenship. I had to choose almost thirty years ago and believe I made the correct decision. I've also worked for international companies here and understand the hoops that's need to be jumped through. Most board members suffer a similar fate, but we persevere. The present administration is not as easygoing as the previous one was.
Have a good night.
วินเชนท์
joashchee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joashchee »

Hi VincentD,

Thanks for chiming in! It really does help to hear other people's perspectives and I fully appreciate the sharing.

I'm definitely heading over as a holiday / exploratory trip for now, and checking it out for the family situation. Thanks for the insight on medical expenses too, something I need to look into.