Tinned Fish

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Tinned Fish

Post by Jack_Batty »

I’m not talking about tuna, or sardines. I’m specifically inquiring about mackerel filets, or a similar fish in olive oil like I used to find at Villa Market. It was King Oscar brand in a blue wrapper, 115 grams, and it was often on sale for 89 baht, but no higher than 99 baht. It seems that they they have discontinued that style, and have now released three different versions (jalapeno, Mediterranean, & tomato) in different packaging for 115 baht. I just want plain smoked mackerel in olive oil. I have looked everywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar replacement? I like sardines too, and they are still fairly easy to find. But I really prefer the taste and texture of the mackerel. I will even take suggestions on where to buy smoked sprats in olive oil. Probably a Russian store, as that is only where I found them in the US. TIA

Shopee and Lazada are charging a king’s ransom for this fish.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Tinned Fish

Post by HHTel »

More than you were paying but I think it's what you're looking for:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/115-k ... gL9pvD_BwE
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 pm More than you were paying but I think it's what you're looking for:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/115-k ... gL9pvD_BwE
I know it’s not too terribly much, but I really don’t want to pay that for a small tin of fish. Would love to find it under 100 baht, or find an alternative. I’ve tried the locally-produced mackeral and it is just terrible.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Anything in olive oil, be it tuna, sardines, mackerel - will cost more as it will be imported. I, too, have a hankering for this on occasion and go to Foodland to get my fix. If it is in stock.
วินเชนท์
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I was shopping at Villa Market on Tuesday and saw that these had dropped down to 99 baht. I took two of them to try. I had a tin this afternoon, over rice, with a mashed up hard boiled egg, and a dash of soy sauce and furukake. The jalapeno is pickled and it was a nice touch with the oily, rich fish. I am definitely a fan, and will buy them at 99 baht anytime I see them. In fact, I’m on my way back to Villa Market to buy up the rest of the remaining stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:33 pm Image
I was shopping at Villa Market on Tuesday and saw that these had dropped down to 99 baht. I took two of them to try. I had a tin this afternoon, over rice, with a mashed up hard boiled egg, and a dash of soy sauce and furukake. The jalapeno is pickled and it was a nice touch with the oily, rich fish. I am definitely a fan, and will buy them at 99 baht anytime I see them. In fact, I’m on my way back to Villa Market to buy up the rest of the remaining stock.

Villa probably won't order anymore. Once they sell out they seem to not reorder many items.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I hope that is not the case, but if it is….I’m set for awhile!