Need Solicitor to certify UK probate docs copies

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Need Solicitor to certify UK probate docs copies

Post by Gregjam »

I have to send a copy of my passport and a UK bank statement certified by a solicitors and am asking if anyone has any recommendations or experience of getting this done here. It is for a probate being done in the UK and I only need to get the copies certified. I don’t want to pay any extravagant fee for a couple of signatures only and a solicitor who speaks good English or even is English would make things easier.
It would have to be in English for the UK side of things.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Need Solicitor to certify UK probate docs copies

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 pm I have to send a copy of my passport and a UK bank statement certified by a solicitors and am asking if anyone has any recommendations or experience of getting this done here. It is for a probate being done in the UK and I only need to get the copies certified. I don’t want to pay any extravagant fee for a couple of signatures only and a solicitor who speaks good English or even is English would make things easier.
It would have to be in English for the UK side of things.
I used “Tom the Solicitor” for something similar - he charged 1000B per document but he’s good and speaks perfect English.
TOM LAWYER OFFICE
70/159 Soi Hua Hin 112, Moo Baan Hua Na Alley, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan 77110, Thailand. Mob : +66 (0) 86 5735959
Tel : +66 (0) 32 510513
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have sent you a PM.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks for the information. I am arranging an appointment (waiting until after the holidays as family are already here) and will report on how things went.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Something I've fell foul of in the past. You should be aware that a certified copy is not the same as a notarised copy. Any solicitor can produce a certified copy but a notarised copy can only be produced by a notary.

Check what is being asked for.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:Something I've fell foul of in the past. You should be aware that a certified copy is not the same as a notarised copy. Any solicitor can produce a certified copy but a notarised copy can only be produced by a notary.

Check what is being asked for.
Good point - Tom the Lawyer is definitely able to notarise documents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

As I understand it, in Thailand notarial services are offered by Attorney Notaries; a licensed attorney who is also licensed to offer such services. AFAIK, there is no such thing as a separate notary public.

My wife is an Attorney Notary. She has a supply of impressive looking gold stickers which she can affix to notarized documents along with an equally impressive notary stamp.

For reference purposes, I think she charges 500 baht per page. But, she's in Korat, so not of much use for notarial services in Hua Hin.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ratsima is correct but just to clarify:
While there are no notaries public in Thailand, some lawyers are given the authority to function as Notarial Services Attorney in the country. In Thailand, it is the Lawyers Council of Thailand which regulates the practice of notarial services in the State. A Thai lawyer is required to undergo and pass a professional training course for the service before he is registered as a Notarial Services Attorney.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Right. My wife took a course from the Lawyers Council along with an exam and received a certification from them shortly thereafter.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Useful information and I have rechecked the letter I received and it only wants a solicitor to certify the copies. At this stage it is just to prove my UK address, I am sure that later on when money is involved there may well be stricter requirements although as it will not be much and so should not be too much of an issue.