120 kph speed limit comes local

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: 120 kph speed limit comes local

Post by Big Boy »

At least that excludes lorries, and some buses from the right hand lane :duck: :run:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

what a brilliant idea
now you can drive even more erratically, stupidly and with no care for anyone else and be pissed as a fart and smacked out as well
such a progressive thinking country
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Been there a few months now.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My experience in driving under these new controls is that it makes no difference at all. Still get numpty's driving at 80 or 90 on the outside lane and refusing to budge, same as it ever was.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not sure just where those pics are, but the speed limit out of Petchaburi towards HH was raised 3 months ago. I only know that as I had to take my daughter to the airport after the limits had been raised on Rama II. Coming home when passing Petchaburi, the new limits were painted on the road. I guess the signs took a while to catch up.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, they came fairly soon after the road was painted - I would guess within the week.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So that was back in April.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, just after the OP.

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

caller wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:21 pm My experience in driving under these new controls is that it makes no difference at all. Still get numpty's driving at 80 or 90 on the outside lane and refusing to budge, same as it ever was.
I’m guessing when you refer to the “outside lane” that you are talking about the farthest right lane of all the lanes going in your direction of travel (the fast lane) ? I think this is more accurately called the “inside lane”, unless I’m missing something.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Scout wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:41 pm
caller wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:21 pm My experience in driving under these new controls is that it makes no difference at all. Still get numpty's driving at 80 or 90 on the outside lane and refusing to budge, same as it ever was.
I’m guessing when you refer to the “outside lane” that you are talking about the farthest right lane of all the lanes going in your direction of travel (the fast lane) ? I think this is more accurately called the “inside lane”, unless I’m missing something.
In the UK we would always refer to it as the outside lane - maybe other countries call it the inside lane?
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

In the US it’s the inside lane, as in “in towards the center of the highway, inside all the other lanes”. This from the birds eye view of looking straight down onto the highway. I’m curious now, if it’s the outside lane in the UK, what is it outside of and what is the reference point ? I’ve seen this before on the forum and was confused until I just chalked it up to being a typo / mistake.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Scout wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:59 pm In the US it’s the inside lane, as in “in towards the center of the highway, inside all the other lanes”. This from the birds eye view of looking straight down onto the highway. I’m curious now, if it’s the outside lane in the UK, what is it outside of and what is the reference point ? I’ve seen this before on the forum and was confused until I just chalked it up to being a typo / mistake.
If you really want to be confused then explain "near side" and "offside"!
Utter boody bollocks, to be polite! :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Scout wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:59 pm In the US it’s the inside lane, as in “in towards the center of the highway, inside all the other lanes”. This from the birds eye view of looking straight down onto the highway. I’m curious now, if it’s the outside lane in the UK, what is it outside of and what is the reference point ? I’ve seen this before on the forum and was confused until I just chalked it up to being a typo / mistake.
In the UK - and Thailand - we drive on the left. And the outside lane is the last of 2,3,4 lanes, counting from the left.

In a road with three lanes in each direction, the inside lane, the one you should be driving in when the road is clear ahead of you, is the nearest to the left. The middle lane is stating the bleeding obvious and the outside lane, is the furthest away from the inside lane. So here, its the furthest to the right. In the UK it's technically known as the overtaking lane, and when roads aren't heavy with traffic, that's what generally happens, you overtake and then move back over to the left.

For me personally, your terminology makes no sense, because of what I am used to. That applies to you in reverse. So just accept that elsewhere does things differently. Maybe in the UK we're lucky, as we have a whole continent within easy reach of our doorstep that does things differently. So from an early age, in my case day trips to Calais and Boulogne in France, got the senses, the smells, the language, the food, driving on the wrong side of the road (lol), working in overdrive very early. Schoolboy French taught me how to aske for 'deux bier, si'l vous plait' (and don't dare ask my age)!
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No matter which system, the slowest lane is the closest to the shoulder of the road. That makes abundant sense for safety reasons when people need to pull off.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It does appear that in the US they refer to the' inside lane' as what we call the 'overtaking lane', 'outside lane' .
In North American terminology, the passing lane is often known as the number one lane, left lane, or leftmost lane, due to left hand drive, and the rightmost slow lane is sometimes called the "outside lane", because the lane nearest the center of the roadway is considered "inside".
Quite opposite to UK terminology!

Ever since independence, the US re-invented the English language and hence lots of confusion.