Thai and Farang applying for IDP in Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Thai and Farang applying for IDP in Thailand

Post by Green Nomad »

Hi guys,

I have read on the Thai Department of Land Transport website that an IDP can be applied for. Has anyone tried this as it is asking for a residence certificate from embassy, can anyone help with this process as my wife wants to get an IDP to use here in Saudi. :cheers: GN
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai applying for IDP in Thailand.

Post by Ginjaninja »

I think Mrs. GN. looked into this whilst she was in the U.K. and determined she had to be in Thailand to get it. How hard she looked into it is anyone's guess though. Unfortunately her standard Thai driving license had expired otherwise that would have been legal I think she said for 1-year.
Have you looked into her driving with her Thai licence?
Hopefully someone else can offer positive information contrary to mine...
Cheers,
GN2

Ps. drove in K.S.A. for a couple years and think it put me off driving for life. Can't decide if Thais or Saudis are worse drivers...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Are foreign women allowed to drive in Saudi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Hi GN2,

Thanks for your reply, yes we have looked into her getting a Saudi licence but at the time due to covid we were unable. Now she is considering an easier? option by getting an IDP when we are back in HH in a few months.

I also am in debate with myself as to whether Saudi or Thai drivers are the worst. GÑ
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Yes Dannie Boy, as far as I am aware, all women now allowed to drive in Saudi as long as have legit licence. I see western ladies driving here anyway.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Green Nomad wrote:Yes Dannie Boy, as far as I am aware, all women now allowed to drive in Saudi as long as have legit licence. I see western ladies driving here anyway.
Ok I knew that Saudi women had been granted permission although some were still experiencing problems in some of the ultra conservative areas. I worked there in 2004-07 and the driving was definitely an experience and whilst it was quite different than driving here, definitely as dangerous if not more so, particularly on the highways!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Yeh, I think there is more ignorance and speed freaks here, but thankfully there is no drink driving :wink:
Its a tough one really. Maybe because I have no need to commute in Thailand that I cannot comment enough. GN
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Green Nomad wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:58 pm Hi GN2,

Thanks for your reply, yes we have looked into her getting a Saudi licence but at the time due to covid we were unable. Now she is considering an easier? option by getting an IDP when we are back in HH in a few months.

I also am in debate with myself as to whether Saudi or Thai drivers are the worst. GÑ
You need a valid licence to apply for an IDP in Thailand.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36139&p=488935&hil ... it#p488935

search.php?keywords=international+drivi ... +in+cha-am
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

My wife does have a valid 5 year Thai licence, my original question was has anyone applied on the DLT website for an IDP, and what docs were required.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Ok, further to my original post. For Saudi specifically, an IDP can be used upto 3 months only. Some countries licences are accepted to the same period, so it is not an option now because my wife will now require to do a test to convert to a Saudi licence, as we are here for a few more years yet, maybe. 8) GN
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When I was in Saudi many many years ago, I was told that if an accident involves a car with 'crossed sabers' then no matter what the circumstances, that car (royal) will always be the innocent party. Even to the point of a 'royal' car smashing into your parked car then it's you that's at fault.

Have they moved on from that?
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

55555, with all due respect HHTel that is the case with any accident here, infidel is always in the wrong. Or indeed if you are a poor indian or bangladeshi.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I did a defensive driving course in Dhahran/Abqaiq and my English instructor advised; if I was ever involved in an accident with a local which inclined towards the fatal variety, grab your passport, head across the Bahrain causeway and get on the next flight out of there. Regardless who is to blame, it's an eye-for-an-eye.

I recall a story where a foreigner was involved in a car accident where a local woman was killed. Her husband was given the option of how the foreigner should be punished. The Saudi man let the guy off because he said he didn't like that wife anyway and he did him a favour.... :duck:
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

In Saudi Arabia's defence and I do not mean to put down Thailand with this, there are some very good ideas here that could be created in LoS. When there is an accident here that does not involve injury, the drivers have the use of an app to call a government run broker who has all info on vehicles involved, like insurance policies held and legal drivers,and arbitrates at the scene. No need for police.Thankfully not needed myself as yet. :?

But also, with the covid control it has been very well organized. But anyway getting back to my original post topic, applying for things now, like IDP and driving licence appointments seem to be getting more in the 21st century. GN
buksida

Post by buksida »

No appointment for driving permit
People can apply for an international driving permit without making an appointment, says the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

Deputy director-general Seksom Akaraphan on Wednesday said international driving permits are available at land transport offices nationwide without the need for an appointment, and cost 505 baht.

Thais who want to apply must bring their passport, ID card, original driving licence in Thailand and two non-glossy photos sized two inches taken in the last six months.

Foreigners must bring original and a copy of their passport and visa, as well as the original and copy of their residency or work permit that is certified by the embassy or Immigration Bureau, Thai driving licence and two non-glossy photos sized two inches taken in the past six months.

The permit is valid for one year for 102 countries participating in the 1949 Geneva Convention on road traffic, including US, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand and Japan, and three years in the 86 countries that have joined the 1968 Vienna Convention, which includes Bahrain, Brazil, Germany and Switzerland.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ing-permit
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson