Best long-term "unlimited" internet SIM deals

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Best long-term "unlimited" internet SIM deals

Post by buksida »

I've seen some posts on this but couldn't find them.

Need to get a package for my son who is starting a new school this month and has no WiFi at his accommodation.

Had a look around the third floor of MV and saw a lot of "unlimited" packages that all had speed or data limits (I don't think Thais know what the word means).

So, are there any truly unlimited internet SIM packages available? Also seen a few on Lazada but they also have speed and data limits. The best one at the moment seems to be AIS NET Marathon 1 year, but the speed is limited to 15Mbps (slower than 4G+) and the data to 100GB a month (though this should be enough).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-1 ... 34511.html

Any other options people are using?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Best long-term "unlimited" internet SIM deals

Post by hhinner »

DTAC 30 Mbps. Unlimited calls to all networks.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.6E3X9

Trouble with these types of sim is you have to change after 1 year and this will also mean changing phone number.
buksida

Re: Best long-term

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:29 am Trouble with these types of sim is you have to change after 1 year and this will also mean changing phone number.
Looks promising, changing isnt a problem as this will be the second SIM in addition to his regular number. Only need internet.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like nobody on here uses a SIM for internet then, will have to take my chances with what's available and the service.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hopefully he'll find some wi-fi hotspots close by that he can use during his off time. Perhaps he'll become a Starbucks aficionado? :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 am Looks like nobody on here uses a SIM for internet then, will have to take my chances with what's available and the service.
thecolonel often talks about amazing deals. I think most people will be using monthly as opposed to long-term packages.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

i dont think you need to use lazada.

DTAC themselves seem to have good offers.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/produ ... y-sim.html

15Mbps, 60 mins of calls per month.

1600 baht a year.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Does anyone here actually use DTAC? Looking for experiences with it, what is the signal/service like? I know AIS and True are the market leaders here with the most coverage.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Having used them continuously for 17 years, i can say there are no dead zones anywhere. And that includes up north, border regions etc. My wife has AIS and there is no discernable difference. If anything, when it is a buddha weekend, the local DTAC masts dont get as overloaded as the AIS masts when the hordes from bkk descend (that situation seems to have improved - i guess AIS has put more capacity in).
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.6w5QV

There is another thread on this as inferred by OP and BB

I'm delighted with this package and will be buying again in October(or earlier if still valid). I had it last year too. Equivalent to 180/month

I think AIS are better than TRU. Naturally international calls not included but their rates are very cheap using their 00 3 44 prefix (that is a UK example) 7 baht min as opposed to 18 standard.

In my previous room, I ran my Internet off hot-spot without any issues. Well the only 'issue' is you have to make the hot-spot connection before watching netflix whatever. (so that saves 700? a month on WiFi)

I'm guaranteed 8mbps but often get 55+

Yes, you do have to accept a new number. But that doesn't bother me I don't run a business or anything like that.

But with dual sim phones so common now, maybe you could go really basic cheap package(PAYG?) on old number you wish to keep. Use that for incoming calls only. And use new sim for dial out/Internet(so easy to set up). And that combination may still be cheaper than paying 350 a month which is what most people pay I think? And yet they still have DL/speed limits and can't call all networks, extra charges etc

Yes you're paying for a year but you wouldn't even need to be here for a full year to make it pay off.

That all said, everyone has their own agenda.

If anyone can find me a better deal I'm genuinely all ears.

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 am Looks like nobody on here uses a SIM for internet then, will have to take my chances with what's available and the service.
I used an AIS Tourist Sim package for the last month and it worked perfectly for my needs, it was actually more than I needed as it was 5g and my phone isn't.
At the end of the package it was easy to add credit and buy more days for the remains of my visit. I see that the SIM is active for most of the rest of the year so I'll hopefully be able to add another package when I return in a couple of months.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cheers guys, good info. Confirms that their usage of the word "unlimited" is a complete misnomer, but at least one of those options should suffice even with its limits.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Cheers guys, good info. Confirms that their usage of the word "unlimited" is a complete misnomer, but at least one of those options should suffice even with its limits.
?? Mine is unlimited

Why do you think it's not?

buksida

Post by buksida »

Because it specifies a speed of 8Mbps. A truly unlimited package would have no limits on speed or data.

Either way, the limits are not really an issue as I can't see him using that much - it's just the bullshit marketing these companies use I object to. :thumb:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Because it specifies a speed of 8Mbps. A truly unlimited package would have no limits on speed or data.

Either way, the limits are not really an issue as I can't see him using that much - it's just the bullshit marketing these companies use I object to. :thumb:
No you misunderstand, it's not a limit on the speed

The 8mbps is a guaranteed *minimum* speed.

Hence as I said I often get 55+

See test just done now