Kids car seats mandatory Sept 2022

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Kids car seats mandatory Sept 2022

Post by Gregjam »

The BP has an article today about car seats becoming mandatory for kids under six years old. This has apparently been published in the Royal Gazette so looks to be yet another law applicable to road users that few will comply with and offers more opportunity for tea purchases.
I am sure there are many responsible parents who ensure their kids travel safely but also confident that the usual lack of enforcement will prevail

Mod edit: added link
- https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rom-sept-5
Big Boy

Re: Kids car seats mandatory Sept 2022

Post by Big Boy »

I guess it won't affect most Thais with children either in mother's arms on the back of a motorcycle, stood in the motorcycle footwell or just sat on a regular motorcycle seat. They never attack the full/real problem here.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The best protection

Two experts discuss why the child car seat law should not be seen as a burden but an investment into safety

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social ... protection

Child car seats are designed to protect children from injuries or death or at the very least reduce injuries during vehicle collisions. Unfortunately, many Thais, including some healthcare workers, are not aware of the importance of these seats.

General paediatrician of haematology and oncology and the founder of Liang Look Tam Jai Mor Facebook page (Facebook.com/SpoiledPediatrician) Asst Prof Dr Worawut Choeyprasert said during a live broadcast that he was once told by parents that a nurse had told them not to put their newborn baby in a car seat.

"The nurse told them that a mother's embrace is the safest place for a newborn. Parents should not put their newborn in a car seat because it will cause the baby's spine to become crooked," Dr Worawut said in dismay.

Child car seat usage has become a topic of debate lately after the Land Traffic Act, Section 123 stipulated that children under six or children whose height is below 135cm be placed in a car seat or a special seat for safety in a moving vehicle. The law will come into effect on Sept 5 and violators must pay a fine of up to 2,000 baht.

The new law emphasises that a child car seat is a necessity. Hence, it is a surprise to realise that now many people -- even healthcare workers -- still have misconceptions about child car seats.

Dr Worawut insisted that holding a child in your arms in a moving vehicle is not safe. The Ministry of Public Health reported that between 2017 and 2021, 1,155 children aged under six died in road accidents. According to the World Health Organization, child car seats reduce the risk of death by 70% for children.

Many parents have complained that being given 120 days grace is not enough time to prepare to purchase car seats. Assoc Prof Dr Adisak Plitponkarnpim, director of the National Institute of Child and Family Development, Mahidol University, said the law had actually been discussed for 20 years before it was finalised.

However, there are many misconceptions about child car seat usage. Some parents think newborns have fragile neck bones, so infants should always be held in their arms. Dr Adisak said this belief is wrong and newborns can safely be put in child car seats.

"Holding an infant in a moving vehicle is not safe. When an accident happens, the violent force of the crash will be too strong for an adult to handle and the infant can be thrown out of the adult's arms. Also, it is hazardous when a parent sitting in the front seat puts a child on their lap. If the child is too close to where the airbag deploys, it may be killed. A study stated that air bags could kill children in a low-speed collision. Passengers including children must keep at least 25cm from where the air bag deploys for their safety," Dr Adisak explained.

Child car seats are classified into three types -- rear facing car seats for those under two, forward facing car seats with a five-point harness for the ages two to seven, and booster seats for six years and older.

c1_2314910_220524090550.jpg
(77.55 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

120 days not enough time to prepare for a car seat? What preparation, aside from money, is needed?
Well, let's see; I have to get my hair and nails done, then there's lunch with the girls, my husband has a golf appointment, my brother's birthday, my parent's anniversary, etc.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Mandatory? A couple of years ago they were going to stop people travelling in the back of Pickup Trucks and due to the large amount of traffic accidents cause by the large tourist buses they were going to stop their production and take all the existing ones of the road.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Geko wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:08 am Mandatory? A couple of years ago they were going to stop people travelling in the back of Pickup Trucks and due to the large amount of traffic accidents cause by the large tourist buses they were going to stop their production and take all the existing ones of the road.
[/quo

A recently named mental illness: Thai Logic.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Cabinet waives tariffs on car seats

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -car-seats

The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to waive tariffs on child safety seats until the end of next year to allow more time to promote their use.

Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said the 20% tariffs would be waived until Dec 31, 2023, to ease the financial burden on consumers because the Land Traffic Act would require child seats in vehicles from Sept 4 this year.

The waiver will become effective after it is published in the Royal Gazette. The spokesman did not mention the date of the publication.

Mr Thanakorn said most child seats available in the country were imported. Locally made ones were scarce because of insufficient demand.

The newly amended law requires children under six years old to be restrained in a car seat or a special seat for safety in a moving vehicle.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Well, back in 1992 when I had my first kid, the first thing I did was to buy a rear-facing child seat. Yes, they were available even back then. Later bought a forward facing one, both were handed down to the sister-in-law, who also made good use of them.
Apart from the child seat issue, I also got a hands free car kit for my Nokia 101 (the distant cousin of the Motorola 'brick'). This is when seat belt usage was only just beginning to be legislated in Thailand.
วินเชนท์