Wife needs a car

Hua Hin classifieds has been reopened, please read the classifieds posting rules before you submit an ad.
life2lifeproductions
Novice
Novice

Wife needs a car

Post by life2lifeproductions »

Looking to buy a car for the wife to run around in, something like a Jazz or Civic, possibly a Yaris though prefer the 1.5 engine. No more than 5-6 years old, less than 100,000ks on the clock. If you can offer a price at around 15-20 percent less than the used car 'tent' places (that seems to be the standard mark up, if not more after they try to steal it from the seller) then it's likely a done deal. Phone Tim 0929129477
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Re: Wife needs a car

Post by KhunLA »

You're looking for a bargain. We were offered 350k for ours, from tent folks, and see them listed on FB Marketplace for 400-450k.

Don't think I'd sell ours for less than 400k vs just giving it to our daughter.
MG ZS (2020) will have about 35k kms, and be 2yrs old come Sept, about the time the new car arrives.

So 15-20% less than tent price (?), and you're trying to pick one up for 350ish k. Good Luck, as not much profit for them, or motivation for anyone not to simply let the tent folks buy from them, instead of trying to sell themselves.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Used cars in Thailand still command a premium compared to other countries, so people tend to keep their cars much longer. The 'tents' will typically refresh the car's looks for a better resale value and will have to absorb rental costs of their lots, which is added into their profit margin.
If you want good, just buy new.
I've bought 2 cars new from dealers, and the others from tents. I've found their value reasonable. Private sales can be a whole different can of worms and you have no recourse once you've done the deal.
วินเชนท์
life2lifeproductions
Novice
Novice

Post by life2lifeproductions »

KhunLA and Vincent D thanks for the inputs. KhunLA pointed out I was trying to buy a car for what the same price the tents were offering - that was sort of my point, though I was assuming I'd still give a better price than a tent - i.e. a win/win for both sides. Vincent D - I don't think you'd have recourse with a tent if the car fell apart after you'd paid for it. They might give you a verbal 'guarantee' but if the SHTF you'd be USCWAP I reckon.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hi, Tim.
Just to clarify. I bought 2 cars from new from the dealership. The fist I sold after 3 years for about 60% of the purchase price. The next, I kept for 7 years, and sold to a relative of the wife for 20% of the new price. Not such a good idea, as I was asked about the many niggles the car developed during ownership.
Note that all the cars I have, both dealership and secondhand, were always serviced at the respective dealerships.
When I bought the Saab 900 SE turbo from the tent (something I just couldn't afford new), I did due diligence and inspected thoroughly. Mileage, service history, actual condition. Once an agreement on price was made, the tent rectified any defects (one of the headlight leveller motors wasn't working) and a full service and inspection at the dealership before I took ownership.
After that, you're on your own. They won't guarantee anything other than the condition you bought it in. They will typically spruce up the cars with a deep clean, possibly a paint job, and a once over on the mechanicals, but don't forget that they are also buying an unknown vehicle and are trying to make a fair profit from it.
I've been happy buying secondhand as I feel it is value for money (where I can buy something I would not consider from new) and tend to keep these much longer than the ones I actually did buy new.
The wife, however, is different, and will insist on a new car from the start. They are not that expensive for the lower spec cars, and you (actually the wife) would have the peace of mind with the dealership guarantee.
I am a former aircraft tech by trade and enjoy working on my own cars, so it may not be for everyone. If you're not mechanically savvy, and want peace of mind, especially from the wife, just bite the bullet and get new.
My two baht worth.
Have a nice day.
Cheers, Vincent
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought the OP was asking for anybody who has a car that they’re thinking of selling, he’s in the market to buy rather than selling it to the trade (Tents). The seller gets the same price and he gets a good discount!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Do banks or loan agencies have repoed cars? If so, that may be a place to look or in ads from people who can't make their payments and need to sell their car to get out from under. There may be more Thai ads than ads in English and your wife could read those. Also, check on Baht Sold.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Sorry, wasn't thinking. Yes, one2car dot com is an online secondhand market, but mostly used car dealers. Try taladrod dot com for private sellers looking for buyers, better prices but need to read Thai.
วินเชนท์
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

FB Marketplace has more than a few listings.

I'd use caution if it has BKK plates, as never knowing if ever 'flooded', and would be my biggest concern on buying a 2nd hand. I've only bought 4 new, actually 5 (on order), as find 2nd hand pricing a bit high here, or used to be. The one 2nd hand I bought was old and <100k. Not something that would interest most.

I always sold mine, just before the 2nd timing (cam) belt/chain needed to be replace, along with maybe needing new tires soon. 125 to 150k kms mark. Something to consider when looking at their service record. Other things, brakes, tires, lights will be spotting at inspection for transfer. Last car I simply gave to daughter, as they weren't offering much, and she needed. Mazda2/<125 kms, excellent condition, 7 yrs old and they were offering 200k, and saw them being sold for 300-350. I wouldn't take 200k, and surely wouldn't buy one for more than 300k. She was happy, and still driving, almost 2 yrs, w/no problems.

2 years of no income for many people, sadly, but should make for a buyers market out there. Good Luck.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I would be very wary of buying a repossessed car here. This is based on the main reason it is repo’ed is because of failure to make the payments. The chances are the payments were the last thing not to be made and prior to that little maintenance was done. One thing that is consistent in the decades that I have been here is the lack of car/motorcycle maintenance. The first time many vehicles get maintenance is when they fail and it is for this reason I have always bought new.
The partner of a niece runs a tent sales site and I understand he is a genuine guy so I don’t want to tar them all with the same brush. Being practical a service history is a must and get the vehicle inspected. Ask on the forum if necessary as there are plenty of people who will offer advice.
If only my son had followed the above advice before buying an old Trailblazer. Difficult to find parts and the bank of dad was called in for various things including a timing belt and brake repair…