PPV Tyres-Tires

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

PPV Tyres-Tires

Post by Gregjam »

My 255/60 R18 tyres will soon be approaching four years old (from date of manufacture). As I don’t do a lot of miles I plan to renew them and donate the old ones to a nephew who will wear them out before they reach five years old. While I know many trucks here are on much older and very worn tyres I am happier keeping within the five year window.
The point of this post is to ask for opinions on the available tyres on the market. The car has Toyo Open Country and I have seen Bridgestone or Michelin offerings plus some cheaper (Deestone etc) ones out there. I use the Car on roads 90% of the time and regular tracks, although it is 4x4 this function is rarely used. Would changing the ratio improve the ride (and add error to the speedometer not that anyone here pays attention to that ). An earlier tyre change on a Vios made a big difference in road noise and handling so am looking for opinions on what is available.
There is still a while to go and this is just a case of dipping my toes in the water of what looks like an outlay of over 30,000 Baht to renew all tyres including the spare. Thanks in advance for your time and views.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: PPV Tyres-Tires

Post by VincentD »

I'd just keep one of the 4 year old tyres as a spare and 'donate' the 3 used plus existing spare to whomever. I recently did this, it is amazing that I got rid of a15 year old 'new, never used' spare. BTW the old tyres ended up being repurposed as plant holders after removing the sidewall on just one side.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

First have to work out WTF a PPV is!

Most tyres here are described as for passenger car, LT (light truck) for SUVs, or mud terrain for extreme offroad use.

Low aspect tyres, such as 60, are fitted to high performance cars, as the low profile gives better cornering at speed. For me they should be relegated to race tracks! An increase to 70 profile makes a big difference to the ride quality, as the sidewall has more flex. There is a big difference between 60 and 70, but not a great deal more if you go to 75.

Width wise 255 may improve a bit going to 265, but you need to be careful about clearance, especially on the front when turning.

The next thing is tread pattern, as some such as H/T can be very noisy, even if the pattern does not look aggressive.

If you are only looking at 5 years use, then a cheaper tyre may suffice. Although now made in Thailand, Goodyear have good reports. I had a set of Nitto on my Land Rover that lasted 8 or 9 years, but the extra cost was not justified. The same with Michelin. Most car tyres here will rot away long before the tread wears down, unless you are doing 100K kms a year.

There is a young bloke in the main Cockpit shop on Petchkasem Rd, right next to Soi 54/1, that speaks good English, I think he is the owner's son. It may be worth speaking with him as I found him most obliging. Especially compared to the ridiculous young girls fronting most of those places.
Your speedo won't change much, as shown with the attached:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -265-60r18

As an aside, most tyre wear is the result of incorrect pressure, from the both the load and the road conditions. Tyres heat up, which leads to an increase in pressure, so they should be checked cold.
I use a simple rule referred to as the: 4 PSI rule:

You are looking for a 4 psi rise in pressure between cold and hot. You need to run 20 or 30 minutes or so between checks. If the rise is more that 4 psi the tyre is flexing too much so you need to increase the pressure a couple of psi.

If the increase is LESS than 4 psi the tyre is over inflated and you need to lower the pressure a bit. It may take several experiments to obtain the correct rise, especially if the load changes very much. Once established it only requires an occasional check.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Haha. I've not seen the 4 psi rule being quoted for a long time. If you're one of the majority who fills up air at a service station, you need to take that into account as your tyres would be warm by then. The recommended tyre pressure on the sticker on the driver's side pillar is the cold pressure. This is why I use a small portable air compressor to top up before even leaving the house.
Also, just follow your manufacturer recommended tyre sizes. In some cases, the wrong tyre size has voided any manufacturer warranties.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Nereus, I had to look it up. PPV is a Pick-up Passenger Vehicle. Guess that would mean the 4-door pickups and the pickup based SUVs like the Fortuner, Pajero Sport and the like.
วินเชนท์
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

In this instance it is a Nissan Terra. It will be due for a major service next month so I’ll mention the tyres, particularly about the ratio to see if there is any flexibility.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Check the owners manual, (though I suspect it is only in Thai language) they normally include substitute sizes. There were two sizes included in the Nissan X-trail manual. Re tyres, don't buy from the dealership. I recently changed mine at CG 0-400 and got a price similar to the Wongwien 22 shops and were of very recent manufacture.The dealerships typically get from some shop outside and install them at the dealership. My SIL works at Nissan and I am very familiar with the technical staff and their modus operandi.
There are actually four Nissans in the house - the X-trail, a Sylphy, the Almera and a Juke. Only the Juke has the top spec mags - 17 or 18" with low profile tyres. The X-trail came with the standard 16". And replacement rubber is much cheaper.
วินเชนท์