Waterproof Cover for an Upright Piano

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Waterproof Cover for an Upright Piano

Post by bigston »

i need someone who is able to make a waterproof cover to go over the top of a conventional upright piano
have tried Hua Hin Awnings no joy there
Thanks
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Re: Waterproof Cover for an Upright Piano

Post by KhunLA »

Do you really want to put a piano outside, when the RH here is 60-80 %
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Yes i do, crazy perhaps,,,
but its something i need to do
its going to be a water feature, to be used only at night
the piano is being treated / painted with a water proof , sun resistant paint .
im just hopeful that with a quality cover on it during the day, it will survive a little longer
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

bigston wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:20 pm Yes i do, crazy perhaps,,,
but its something i need to do
its going to be a water feature, to be used only at night
the piano is being treated / painted with a water proof , sun resistant paint .
im just hopeful that with a quality cover on it during the day, it will survive a little longer
The piano will survive, but the mechanism won't. The hammers will be the first to go, followed by the rusting of metal parts and disintegration of all the internal wood.

It would make an interesting time-lapse video.

Next time buy a cheap electric piano with a built-in onboard amp and speakers, then you can bring it inside when not in use.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

i dont expect it to last forever, it is not for playing...at all.
a lot of things would make for interesting time lapse video,sadly not this, but i'd have to get an undercover camera to report on the goings on during the day .
is there somewhere, a shop, capable of making a simple cover for it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you can provide the material with which to make the cover e.g. a pool table cover or a pick-up truck cover from Lazada, then I would think any of the sewing machine shops could knock you something up. Thais can be very clever with such stuff, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

That might be the next course to try
HH Awnings said they couldn't make such a thing, why ? i dont know, its surely not rocket science
ill try IC Curtains , after that a sewing machine shop ..happy to travel if you know of one
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

bigston wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:06 am i dont expect it to last forever, it is not for playing...at all.
a lot of things would make for interesting time lapse video,sadly not this, but i'd have to get an undercover camera to report on the goings on during the day .

"not for playing." That clears that up.
If you can't get one sewn, take a large sheet of plastic, drape it over the piano and hold it together with plastic clip-on clothes pegs.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:54 pm
bigston wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:06 am i dont expect it to last forever, it is not for playing...at all.
"not for playing." That clears that up.
If you can't get one sewn, take a large sheet of plastic, drape it over the piano and hold it together with plastic clip-on clothes pegs.
About the worst thing that you can put over ANYTHING out in the weather is a sheet of plastic. It needs to be a material that can "breathe", while keeping the sun and rain off.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Correct Nereus,
i dont want to fry and blister the poor thing, its going to struggle enough without any other inflicted issues to contend with
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

On the road going up the hill, past Big C a short distance (couple hundred meters ?), same side of road as Big C, is a shop that some friends have had make water / sun proof covers for their kite surf boards. I’ve never been there but it’s location was described in detail to me and I’ve been extremely impressed with the work they do and I’ll be using them shortly for my kite foil board. They charged 1000 baht for a kite foil board cover. I’m sure they can make what you need.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks Scout, ill be up that way tomorrow
they sound like the ticket and will most likely have or can get a suitable fabric
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

bigston wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:23 pm Correct Nereus,
i dont want to fry and blister the poor thing, its going to struggle enough without any other inflicted issues to contend with
Sigh. Sacrilege. I love musical instruments, the piano from my family home from 50 years ago still lives in my sister's condo, the last time I visited back in 2017 it still worked, but slightly out of tune. I still have four (yes four!) electronic organs at home; two don't work any more but I'm too sentimental to even consider selling them for parts.
วินเชนท์
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Vincent, as a musician myself, the last thing i would do is " hurt " any instrument
this old girl, although in good condition is well past its glory days and the purpose its going to be put to will do it proud...
i wanted to bring an old pump organ with me when i moved here but that just could not happen
Sigh......
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Cheers, mate. There was a bloke in the local FB marketplace wishing to give away his old Hammond organ. I just don't have the space :(
วินเชนท์