Buying a new smart TV

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: Buying a new smart TV

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:48 am Tendency to turn itself on automatically (yes, I've disabled all that stuff but it still does it - need to leave it physically unplugged)
We've had that problem a couple of time with ours. I've worked it out that it happens every time we have a power cut (something you are familiar with). We too have to unplug our newer TV.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter, currently in the US, sent a photo of her partner's new TV
Maury's TV.jpg
(182.82 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
I'll never brag about my 86" again.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What’s that saying, “there’s nowt so strange as folk”…………….and smart TV’s!!

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced our TV turning on, but it has occasionally turned itself off.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 am My daughter, currently in the US, sent a photo of her partner's new TV

Maury's TV.jpg

Is that a TV or a projector screen - there appears to be a light image on the back of the man’s head?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you're right. A big give away.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

and there was me thinking his halo had slipped :run:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:17 am
buksida wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:48 am Tendency to turn itself on automatically (yes, I've disabled all that stuff but it still does it - need to leave it physically unplugged)
We've had that problem a couple of time with ours. I've worked it out that it happens every time we have a power cut (something you are familiar with). We too have to unplug our newer TV.
Oh yes, that happens a lot. There are also a bunch of Android settings that enable auto-wake for devices. It may also be getting a signal from one of the phones in the house. Either way, its too smart for me so I leave the bastard unplugged overnight.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:48 am Having just bought a 65" 4K smart Hisense TV, I'll give some feedback:

Pros
Picture quality is superb (compared to the previous 49" LG)
Runs on Android (not a restricted manufacturer's OS)
Price was a good 30-40% lower than the similar spec bigger brand names
Fast operation switching between inputs/apps etc

Cons
The sound is very weak and tinny (need additional speakers or a soundbar)
Won't play all video codecs (doesn't like AVI and some MKV files but I may try installing VLC on it)
TV streaming apps included are all paid subscriptions (I don't use most of what's built-in)
Tendency to turn itself on automatically (yes, I've disabled all that stuff but it still does it - need to leave it physically unplugged)

Overall, aside from a few niggles, I'm very pleased with the purchase.
Well, I'm slightly down having the 50", but would imagine sound quality being the same - so bit surprised buks with your comments. Indeed a Soundbar is the best option and I do use...
Video Codecs - to be honest, I've not yet tried, but as I normally download MP4 for the The TV, it's not an issue - though your comments RE: Downloading VLC... Yup, that could be good!! Let me know how/what the hell to do!!

APPS: - Well, I have pretty much all. Being in the UK and the amount of shopping we do with Amazon, PRIME is a no-brainer. I was given Disney+ for 6 months with O2 and pretty much love it - so kept it (not a huge expense). Netflix..... Well, early days gave it to my dear old Mam and she can't do without it... So, it's kept. Paramount Plus - was a free 7 Days, but had a deal for £35 for the year - why not? It's easy to watch on the big screen, without fecking around with cables etc...... I've cancelled Sports Subscriptions, so unfortunately will have to feck around with the cables etc.!! :roll: :D :wink:

BUT... Once again buks, give us all the info regarding VLC - I could watch 3D without the need of the laptop!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:35 am BUT... Once again buks, give us all the info regarding VLC - I could watch 3D without the need of the laptop!!

I usually solve the codec issue by playing files on the set-top box or laptop, but it would be handy to be able to play everything via the USB stick. Will have a crack at installing VLC this arvo.

Don't have any TV subscriptions so can't comment on any of the crap it came preloaded with!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:39 am
pharvey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:35 am BUT... Once again buks, give us all the info regarding VLC - I could watch 3D without the need of the laptop!!

I usually solve the codec issue by playing files on the set-top box or laptop, but it would be handy to be able to play everything via the USB stick. Will have a crack at installing VLC this arvo.
Cracking - would love to know!! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:40 am Cracking - would love to know!! :thumb:
That was easy, two clicks ... done. Can now browse the USB stick with VLC on the TV and it plays all formats. Also installed the Red Bull TV app while I was there for some additional petrol head entertainment.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:59 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 am My daughter, currently in the US, sent a photo of her partner's new TV

Maury's TV.jpg

Is that a TV or a projector screen - there appears to be a light image on the back of the man’s head?
And also shadows on the screen. :D
Screenshot from 2023-01-24 10-01-19.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-24 10-01-19.png (94.7 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes, it was quite obvious once Dannie Boy pointed it out. I just hadn't paid attention. You didn't need to blow it up for me.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm Yes, it was quite obvious once Dannie Boy pointed it out. I just hadn't paid attention. You didn't need to blow it up for me.
9B1E1B15-250F-4DD1-891C-AB4EBC486D70.png
9B1E1B15-250F-4DD1-891C-AB4EBC486D70.png (53.21 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm You didn't need to blow it up for me.
No problem. I like blowing things up! 8)