Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Post by Big Boy »

Sometimes they will, but other times they won't - true Thai consistency. I can't quote the reference, but I'm sure in a recent review of such charges, they said no.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:14 am But are they still accepting a foreigner with a Thai ID or driving license to pay as a Thai. In my experience this was very common, however it did depend on just where you go.
It was always hit and miss, the busy tourist parks in Phuket and Krabi were very unlikely to, but you stood a better chance at the more off-the-beaten-track parks in my experience. All depends on how fascist the attendant feels like being on the day.

However, in light of these recent hikes and the tourist money grab, the junta has probably told them not to let any aliens in at a discount.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:11 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:14 am But are they still accepting a foreigner with a Thai ID or driving license to pay as a Thai. In my experience this was very common, however it did depend on just where you go.
It was always hit and miss, the busy tourist parks in Phuket and Krabi were very unlikely to, but you stood a better chance at the more off-the-beaten-track parks in my experience. All depends on how fascist the attendant feels like being on the day.

However, in light of these recent hikes and the tourist money grab, the junta has probably told them not to let any aliens in at a discount.
What they can't get foreign tourist so now they want aliens. Lol
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

All farangs are labelled as 'aliens' by Thai officialdom. Endearing isn't it?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Actually, although we relate it to beings from outer space, the Oxford English Dictionary defines it thus:
adjective
belonging to a foreign country or nation.

noun
a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.
"an illegal alien"
Alien is defined as a resident from another country who does not have citizenship in the country of residence. A person from the United States living in Italy without citizenship is an example of an alien.
Maybe we should be less sensitive!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien in Hua Hin" (With apologies to Sting.)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Back to the OP. I guess those of us who are resident in Thailand know how the land lies, and will have the option whether to pay or not to pay e.g. whilst visiting Chiang Mai, I wanted to visit Doi Inthanon. It was probably a once in a lifetime trip. I wasn't happy about paying more than my wife or son, but it wasn't going to break the bank either, so what the hell? If I'm taking visitors to e.g.Phra Nakhon Khiri in Petchaburi because they've asked me to, the first thing I will do is advise them that they will be ripped off. If they still want to go, I will take them to the little train up the hillside, and will go for a coffee - I refuse to be ripped off more than once.

I guess the difference is (thinking back to when I used to holiday in Thailand) most visitors won't know if they are being ripped off. If they do realise, they've come a long way to miss it, and even at 5x what a Thai has to pay, it isn't going to break the bank.

Where it falls down is people like me get a regular flow of visitors (at least, that was the case pre-Covid), and I used to take people to various places. As soon as they become paid visits, they are taken off my standard visitor route. I will only go to a paid location if requested. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets regular visitors to show around.

Points 48; Position 20
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I know many countries do this (dual pricing), not just Thailand... but it just sends a very negative message and one most westerners are unused to.
OK, if we are talking about discrimination, then Asia is a world leader... they even dislike each other. However, it doesn't make it right. Yes, it's just one of their nationalistic/gouging quirks as in many places, but doesn't mean I have to like it, although I understand that this cultural stuff is still "under development", so whatever.
Personally, I agree with an earlier poster that there are few places on offer here that warrant paying above and beyond what Thais do, as they are mostly a collective disappointment for most expats... plus it's an all-round effort/stress to go and "experience" such places anyhow, once is enough.

I'm way beyond such tourist stuff.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:59 pm Back to the OP. I guess those of us who are resident in Thailand know how the land lies, and will have the option whether to pay or not to pay e.g. whilst visiting Chiang Mai, I wanted to visit Doi Inthanon. It was probably a once in a lifetime trip. I wasn't happy about paying more than my wife or son, but it wasn't going to break the bank either, so what the hell? If I'm taking visitors to e.g.Phra Nakhon Khiri in Petchaburi because they've asked me to, the first thing I will do is advise them that they will be ripped off. If they still want to go, I will take them to the little train up the hillside, and will go for a coffee - I refuse to be ripped off more than once.

I guess the difference is (thinking back to when I used to holiday in Thailand) most visitors won't know if they are being ripped off. If they do realise, they've come a long way to miss it, and even at 5x what a Thai has to pay, it isn't going to break the bank.

Where it falls down is people like me get a regular flow of visitors (at least, that was the case pre-Covid), and I used to take people to various places. As soon as they become paid visits, they are taken off my standard visitor route. I will only go to a paid location if requested. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets regular visitors to show around.
Like you, I get requests to accompany people to 'tourist' attractions. I always point out the double pricing. I mostly get the answer "I/We'll pay you miserable sod!" No argument!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think anybody has ever offered, although if we got somewhere first, it would probably happen.

When we have gone to e.g. Phra Nakhon Khiri the Floating Market, Phraya Nakhon Cave, etc. I've made a point of staying the right side of the pay kiosk. I don't like wasting people's money, even if it isn't mine. :D

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise, I'd avoid taking anyone to a national park here for those reasons. Tourists are not likely to be bothered by it though, we certainly didn't mind paying more than the locals in Vietnam or Malaysia. Its the expats and those that live here permanently that usually take umbrage, as a Thai certainly would if they lived in another country and was hit with dual pricing everywhere.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by bigston »

Welcome to the land of smiles as they swipe your card at arrivals
enjoy your stay

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ers-by-100
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

If all tourist boycott Thailand watch the price drop
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tourist have paid a load of money to get here, and aren't going to be denied for the sake of an extra 200฿. Certainly, if I'd travelled half way around the world to see Thailand, I wouldn't be deterred by an extra £5.

It is different for those of us who live here - most of us will have seen it all before, so no problem boycotting. However, we are the dirty, smelly, covid ridden farangs they most likely don't want at their attractions anyway.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

stretch wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:22 pm If all tourist boycott Thailand watch the price drop
Doubt that very much ! Even with a very big IF ... :mrgreen: