Aggressive dogs on cycling path

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Aggressive dogs on cycling path

Post by Hahuahin »

Be careful when walking, jogging, cycling at the start of the walkway opposite Rajabhakti park. Coming from Hua Hin going all the way from the start of the walkway and heading South its the third flower garden. There are two temperamental bulldogs which are aggressive against people and recently have been attaching people walking past. :(
hahuahin
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Aggressive dogs on cycling path

Post by handdrummer »

To quote Teddy Roosevelt; "Walk softly and carry a big stick."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'd agree, but before resorting to the stick (showing it is usually enough), have you tried talking to them calmly (maybe even carry a doggie treat)? Talking to them calmly will confuse the hell out of them. It'll basically be a case of, "Hey! that's my meanest bark, why aren't you afraid?"

My small dog is bonkers, and will attack anything on 4 legs. He has antagonised most of the dogs around the lake at Khao Tao to the extent they attack as we approach. I stay calm, and usually get to the point where I'm petting them. Confused is an understatement. The funniest part - they usually start barking aggressively as we walk away again.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:32 pm I'd agree, but before resorting to the stick (showing it is usually enough), have you tried talking to them calmly (maybe even carry a doggie treat)? Talking to them calmly will confuse the hell out of them. It'll basically be a case of, "Hey! that's my meanest bark, why aren't you afraid?"

My small dog is bonkers, and will attack anything on 4 legs. He has antagonised most of the dogs around the lake at Khao Tao to the extent they attack as we approach. I stay calm, and usually get to the point where I'm petting them. Confused is an understatement. The funniest part - they usually start barking aggressively as we walk away again.
From what I have heard, the animals were not even frightened by a 2 x 4 inch wooden plank, so smooth talk in a situation that it is not everyone's first thought as defense against bites from dogs in convincing attack mode.
Now... there is a trend which I unfortunately have seen increase even in densely populated areas here and even in areas used by the population for leisure activities. This to guard property / business and very often the actually plot is owned by the authorities. Business owner buy dogs take no responsibility and let it run around and it never catch a thief, but attacking innocent joggers/cyclists while the the owner sits on his a.s and watches TV and making money on land made available for the public to recreation.
hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hahuahin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:41 pm From what I have heard, the animals were not even frightened by a 2 x 4 inch wooden plank
So have you not even encountered the animals being warned about?

A we just talking fear? A dog can smell fear, and will react accordingly.

I ask this because of people's reaction to my rottweiler when she was alive. If I walked her on the beach, many Thais never saw a dog, but a fierce Tiger - they often ran into the sea. Postmen, the water man and electric man refused to come to our house. One of the monthly exterminators just stood and wet himself when she sniffed his leg. One repair man saw her, and the only way we could get him into the house was for him to come over the back wall. Providing you weren't a snake or going to be aggressive to one of my family or one of our other dogs, she was a pussycat - a beautiful loving dog.

I think if you had gone towards her with a 2 x 4" wooden plank aggressively she would probably have hurt you, but if you go towards most people on this forum aggressively with a 2" x 4" plank you would probably stand a pretty good chance of injury as well.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've had groups of dogs chase me on the motorbike many times which can be dangerous if you continue. I've always found that when dogs are chasing, I just stop the bike and almost always the dogs stop in their tracks. Move to get off the bike and they're gone.
So very often it's just the sport of the chase. They don't actually want to catch you.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:29 pm I've had groups of dogs chase me on the motorbike many times which can be dangerous if you continue. I've always found that when dogs are chasing, I just stop the bike and almost always the dogs stop in their tracks. Move to get off the bike and they're gone.
So very often it's just the sport of the chase. They don't actually want to catch you.
They do the same on my morning bicycle rides, they chase and bark, but if you stop so do they, however there are the odd exceptions and it’s difficult to tell the difference between the ones that bark and the ones that bite!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Likewise, I'm usually on my morning bike ride at first light and found that this is the time you're gonna get chased. Most of the usual suspects don't bother anymore as either I stop and face them which works or the more needy looking ones get a doggy chew or two and now I have 3 or so regular stops with my new furry friends. Trying to outrun them, I found, made them even more belligerent.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

When I've walked down the road and the dogs begin to gather behind me, I shake my stick at them, they stop, I point my stick at them, and they disperse. One or two are more aggressive and I have to beat the ground, then they'll turn around. It's the neighborhood bully syndrome.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm When I've walked down the road and the dogs begin to gather behind me, I shake my stick at them, they stop, I point my stick at them, and they disperse. One or two are more aggressive and I have to beat the ground, then they'll turn around. It's the neighborhood bully syndrome.
Exactly, Thai dogs normally understand a stick means pain, and back away. However, carrying a 2 x 4" plank must be the doggy world equivalent of carrying an assault weapon into a school. There's no wonder they aren't happy.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Reminds me of the time I lived in Takieb opposite the temple gates. Often pestered by the temple dogs. I bought a catapult for the purpose. I must have been a crack shot as when I used the catapult, the screams and yelps showed I'd hit the intended target.

Before anyone calls me names, there was NOTHING in the catapult but listening to the dogs you wouldn't think so!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I stay calm, and usually get to the point where I'm petting them. Confused is an understatement. The funniest part - they usually start barking aggressively as we walk away again.
Thats just dog speak for; "where the **ck is our tip for letting you touch us?"
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:59 pm
Hahuahin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:41 pm From what I have heard, the animals were not even frightened by a 2 x 4 inch wooden plank
So have you not even encountered the animals being warned about?

A we just talking fear? A dog can smell fear, and will react accordingly.

I ask this because of people's reaction to my rottweiler when she was alive. If I walked her on the beach, many Thais never saw a dog, but a fierce Tiger - they often ran into the sea. Postmen, the water man and electric man refused to come to our house. One of the monthly exterminators just stood and wet himself when she sniffed his leg. One repair man saw her, and the only way we could get him into the house was for him to come over the back wall. Providing you weren't a snake or going to be aggressive to one of my family or one of our other dogs, she was a pussycat - a beautiful loving dog.

I think if you had gone towards her with a 2 x 4" wooden plank aggressively she would probably have hurt you, but if you go towards most people on this forum aggressively with a 2" x 4" plank you would probably stand a pretty good chance of injury as well.
I don't think I said in the OP that I had encountered the animals. Anyway I posted this as a "be aware" to other people out exercising as I know its other members on this forum who regularly use this area. It was a very near foreign friend and exercise partner who got attacked and bitten and informed me about what he had experienced to warn me as we both use this area for walking/running. Hel also told me that a Thai couple nearly (and the Thais are usually clever to handle motorbike driving even when chased by dogs) fall of their motorbike when one of the bulldogs(after what he said it was particular one of them which was attacking) not only chasing them but one of them jumped up and got hang on the passengers trousers for a tenth of a second. I was also told that a quit a few people walking there at that time included an elderly woman limping with a handbag was attacked and intimidated so that she turned and walked back to the parking lot.
My friend and I cycle 150-200km weekly in and around Hua Hin, Pranburi and Sam roi yod and have done so for years so I think we both have a sense of what is a potential aggressive dog vs the chasing bunch which usually stop and turnaround after a while. Regarding the 2x4" my friend found that on the side of the walk path after he already was bitten and used it to keep the dog away from bite again.
hahuahin
DDD

Post by DDD »

Just moved here and wondering about getting a bicycle. I have decades of biking in various places (so experienced). How is road safety? Seems like enough scooters that drivers deal ok with bikes?

Where might I get a used or new bicycle?

Had many run ins with dogs biking, running, walking…can be friendly, stand your ground, etc, they all work. One trick I found if I’m standing is to pretend you are picking up a rock. The dogs have always backed off! I don’t even bother looking for a rock as just reaching down does it…
Oh but to be wafted away