Kao's many meanings

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Kao's many meanings

Post by Ratsima »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:39 pm After learning that Thai was one of the world's most difficult languages to learn, I didn't feel so bad about my inability to learn it. Also, it's difficult to learn a language at age 75+.
Thai shouldn't be hard to learn. The grammar is not complex. There are no tenses to figure out and no complicated verb conjugations. The spelling is mostly regular and largely phonetic. The script looks daunting, but is really not that complicated. The tones are hard to fathom for someone who comes from a language that uses tones in a different way. (We use tones in English, just not as a distinguishing feature for words.)

So, why is it so hard? Why can so many people around the world learn English, which is complicated, irregular and wildly diverse, while those of us who have spent time, money and effort to learn Thai have failed so miserably?

I have a theory which I'm sure would be wildly derided, so I won't expound on it, but it has to do with how Thais deal with less-than-perfect spoken Thai.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:thumb: :thumb:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Ratsima wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 am
I have a theory which I'm sure would be wildly derided, so I won't expound on it, but it has to do with how Thais deal with less-than-perfect spoken Thai.
Aww c'mon share!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Perhaps. I just got back to the hellhole of Korat after a delightful week in Cha Am. I need some time to unwind.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Ratsima wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 am
handdrummer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:39 pm After learning that Thai was one of the world's most difficult languages to learn, I didn't feel so bad about my inability to learn it. Also, it's difficult to learn a language at age 75+.
Thai shouldn't be hard to learn. The grammar is not complex. There are no tenses to figure out and no complicated verb conjugations. The spelling is mostly regular and largely phonetic. The script looks daunting, but is really not that complicated. The tones are hard to fathom for someone who comes from a language that uses tones in a different way. (We use tones in English, just not as a distinguishing feature for words.)

So, why is it so hard? Why can so many people around the world learn English, which is complicated, irregular and wildly diverse, while those of us who have spent time, money and effort to learn Thai have failed so miserably?

In my case, along with age, the type of hearing loss I have makes it difficult to discern the pitch. I think Pete Townsend, from the Who, has the same problem. He has to use a tuning gauge to tune his guitar and has difficulty distinguishing notes. I can hear the difference between B and Bb, but can't hear which one is higher or lower. Not good for learning Thai.

Re, "less than perfect spoken Thai," it gives the ego-driven Thais something to gloat about.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I also have trouble with discerning pitch. As a kid people asked why I only used one note when singing. Now it’s why do I only use one tone when speaking Thai.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Always thought it was "Gao" :oops: And was told there was a saying - "The white man eats white rice", literally "Gao, gao, gao, gao, gao".... !! Yep, sure it's wrong, but.......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

คนขาวกินข้าวขาว
Khn k̄hāw kin k̄ĥāw k̄hāw
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

pharvey wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:21 pm Always thought it was "Gao" :oops: And was told there was a saying - "The white man eats white rice", literally "Gao, gao, gao, gao, gao".... !! Yep, sure it's wrong, but.......
This is another problem with Romanizations of Thai. When the initial consonant is "ก", which is voiced, it's still often written with a "kh" which is unvoiced. Guaranteed to confuse.