Thailand hotel prices and availability post-covid

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Big Boy

Thailand hotel prices and availability post-covid

Post by Big Boy »

A new yardstick for me because I haven't been anywhere since the start of Covid other than day trips. As some of you will have read on the Koh Samui thread, I've been booking hotels for next month. Whilst considering my options, 5 hotels sold out. I travel on a Monday, so it shouldn't be weekend domestic travel. That aside, I'm not travelling for a month.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:A new yardstick for me because I haven't been anywhere since the start of Covid other than day trips. As some of you will have read on the Koh Samui thread, I've been booking hotels for next month. Whilst considering my options, 5 hotels sold out. I travel on a Monday, so it shouldn't be weekend domestic travel. That aside, I'm not travelling for a month.
Just curious. Were the 5 hotels really sold out or only sold out on Agoda or booking.com or other booking site? If really sold out then it seems things may be looking up. We're thinking of a short trip in August (avoiding week of 12th) and were sort of hoping hotels would still be not very busy.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

One was definitely sold out on it's own web page as well. The others were Agoda - I went back in later, and they still showed no availability for my dates. Yes, I'll be away on the the 12th - the dates fit my schedule well. I was just putting it down to European school holidays though.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agoda and the big booking sites have reduced the number of rooms they pre-book so their availability is severely limited (hence the often "sold out" or "last room" messages). When we see that, we usually call the hotel directly to find out they have plenty of rooms (though this long weekend will be busy with the Bangkok exodus). I've actually given up using Agoda for that reason.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If that is the case, it is bad news for many hotels then, although, the less popular hotels will probably benefit greatly. For me alone, 5 hotels have lost my business for that week i.e. having been out of the hotel game since Covid, I wasn't aware of this new restricted service.

When you call the hotels direct, do you still get the same rates? I've known several people in the past (pre-Covid) who have been hit with higher rates going direct to the hotel, and they've had to go online to benefit from the cheaper rate.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

We used to often get a better rate because its a Thai calling (my Mrs). I'm not talking about 5* places here though, we generally go mid-range. I think that cheaper online deal was before Covid - everything has changed now on the accommodation front and unless all of Bangkok is travelling, hotel rooms should be plentiful and well priced everywhere (or unless they've taken up the govt double charging farangs policy).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, if Samui is a success, I'll be doing a few short trips, so I'll definitely check on Agoda, but try direct first.

Is there anything Covid hasn't cocked up? :banghead:

I guess this yardstick needs to go in the bin.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Agree with buksida's last 2 posts.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just out of interest I put in some notional dates to book a hotel in Koh Samui in August - one using my normal UK IP address, the other using a VPN set to Thailand and the same packages were cheaper using the VPN searches, so that’s worth remembering when you want to book a vacation.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I experienced this issue with Agoda in Korat, just before or after Songkran. Booked the usual place for just 2 nights and was surprised to see it was nearly sold out. I put it down to Songkran. Its a condo place, so doesn't really have the feel or facilities of a hotel. The test on how busy it is, is how busy the car park is, and that remained almost empty for the two nights we were there.

As for Samui (and Phuket), even without the Agoda booking issues, I would expect these places to be busier than other Thai tourist areas.
Talk is cheap
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Re: Thailand hotel prices and availability post-covid

Post by pitsch »

What bothers me about agoda is that you can book in 10 different ways (directly, via discount emails, via Google maps, via tripadvisor and many other booking platforms and you can see 10 different prices. Most of the time booking via Google maps is the cheapest, often by a very significant amount.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Always have your Thai wife or girlfriend call the hotel and they will get the Thai rates. Or, you could have her look at the booking sites in Thai and see if the rates are different than the ones in English.

Always remember, that if something is simple and easy, Thais will make it complicated and difficult.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I still remember a few years back walking into what was our regular hotel in Bkk, when the other half had to work there, this time at extremely short notice due to unforeseen circumstances, hence no advance booking. Thinking that, as regulars, we would get a better deal, only for the lady on reception, who knew us, apologising as they had no discretion to alter the set walk in rate, which was far more expensive than on-line. She suggested we book on-line there and then to get a much better deal, which is what we did.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thais do most of their business on Facebook and Line and there are often better deals for hotels there - thats how the mrs finds them. Agoda in Thailand no longer serves its purpose IMO.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I recently stayed at a more expensive hotel in Chiangmai and while their own website showed full I was able to book using Agoda contrary to what others are finding.
It seems that as has been said, check all options including phoning direct and using a vpn to check locally or from abroad.