Rent or Buy in Hua Hin?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Jackes
Novice
Novice

Rent or Buy in Hua Hin?

Post by Jackes »

Hi, I've been coming to Hua Hin for more than 30yrs on and off but just staying in guest houses or more recently airbnbs, I'm now looking at moving here permanently so would like some local advice. First off I'm a single guy so I'm not looking for a mansion but I don't want to live in a condo or a gated community, I think the big question is should I rent or buy but I don't have enough experience living here to help me decide, hence this post.
Ideally what I would like is to rent a small house, probably unfurnished with a bit of garden, I don't need sea views but not more than 15 mins from town on a bike. Is it possible to find somewhere with a long letting agreement of more than 5 years but with a yearly renewal option for me in case I want to move out. Initially I plan on staying in a guest house for a month first and having a good look around before deciding on anything but any advise or contacts would be much appreciated. Jack.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Rent or Buy

Post by centermid7 »

I can't imagine that as a single guy you would want to try to buy a house as you cannot own the real estate on which it sits. The plan to look around for a bit is the way to go although a month might not tell you all you want to know. I would look to extend that time period before trying to get into any kind of a longer rental. Probably a good chance you would want to move after the first six months to a year anyway. Cheers
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

centermid7 wrote:I can't imagine that as a single guy you would want to try to buy a house as you cannot own the real estate on which it sits. The plan to look around for a bit is the way to go although a month might not tell you all you want to know. I would look to extend that time period before trying to get into any kind of a longer rental. Probably a good chance you would want to move after the first six months to a year anyway. Cheers
Plus the fact that you’re not exactly a “newbie” to the Hua Hin area, I’d have thought you’d have a reasonable idea of the area you might want to target for renting, take a short-term rental and see how you feel before extending or moving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackes
Novice
Novice

Post by Jackes »

I suppose I'm asking for tips on where to start looking once I'm in Hua Hin., looking on websites only shows Condos or Gated Communities. I remember a few times when I was driving around on a scooter seeing "To Rent" signs here and there, is there anywhere where the locals would advertise their property to rent.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, the better value local rentals aren't on property websites, it's all word of mouth and notices on gates.
I have a house now, owned through my partner but I rented for seven years and my experience was positive.
Renting in Thailand is very simple compared with Europe, you can find a place, agree a deal and move in with the minimum of fuss or upfront expense.
To be honest, I wouldn't trust a five year contract to be cast in stone, if the owner wants to sell up, they'll get you out but you can always find something else.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Jackes wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:33 am I remember a few times when I was driving around on a scooter seeing "To Rent" signs here and there
Exactly. :thumb:
This is the way