Thailand News Summary

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: Thailand News Summary

Post by PeteC »

php1Kf4u7AM.jpg
php1Kf4u7AM.jpg (3.45 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

https://www.thainewsreports.com/news-summary/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I see they’re coming down hard on the tourists who commit crimes!!

Russian tourist fined over assault
A Russian tourist who kicked a pregnant shop owner in Koh Phangan has been fined 500 baht and given a suspended 15-day jail sentence. Immigration authorities in Surat Thani are considering whether her visa will be revoked due to the criminal offence.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... er-assault
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but she had the perfect mitigation - she was on her period.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And the next heinous crime to make National News https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -in-phuket

Yes, it's wrong, but National News? Really?

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I used to work as a tour guide for close to 10 years in Thailand. The local company and the Finnish company I worked for had an agreement that there was always a Thai guide with me. It was according to the rules in those days, late 90's-early 00's. I was asked a couple of times, bridge over the Kwai river to show that I had a local guide with me and after doing that, it was ok. We did get a warning once when I was explaining in Finnish in the Grand Palace about the things there. They said, I shouldn't be speaking anything, as I might say wrong things about their history or culture. That was a big laugh to me. The Thais knew less than I about their history. What was supposed to be said was always according to the official version of the history. Anyway, I survived, things have changed. Stories of the days gone, this one.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've often marvelled at the very obvious, Russian uniformed staff from tour companies working at Suvarnabhumi and can only imagine it's because of their familiarity with how corruption works.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I assume what's happening down in Phuket, mainly, will shake up the obvious complacency of those working illegally, or owning businesses via Thai nominees (currently being investigated). It's what happens when turning a blind eye isn't an option anymore, because the locals are seriously kicking up about it and times are hard, which is an obvious factor. I think the saturation coverage will probably help to scare off some of those openly working illegally. We all know it's all down to corruption within the Thai side that this can happen at all.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand News Summary - Police Corruption

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well they know it’s a problem but will they tackle it head on - it would be good to think they will but…….
https://www.thaienquirer.com/51954/the- ... -overhaul/
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thais love free money, and the easiest way to get it is being a law enforcer. I don't think the problem will ever be resolved.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

More police corruption and bribery in Thailand ... who'd a thunk it!

'Bribe gang' linked to cops
A lawyer has exposed a gang with police links that allegedly collects bribes, acquiring 100 million baht in kickbacks each month.

Sittra Biabungkerd, secretary to the People's Lawyers Foundation, held a press conference on Tuesday at which he presented "evidence" that included money trails, bank transfer slips and video footage.

The gang is linked to at least three police officers, Mr Sittra said.

He alleged that some police units had received kickbacks from a number of illegal businesses, such as illegal online gambling websites and illegal loan sharks.

Mr Sittra claimed the gang would collect kickbacks from all regions of the country and transfer them to several bank accounts, including accounts belonging to the relatives of a senior police officer.

The kickbacks are estimated to be more than 100 million baht per month, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ed-to-cops

The 'police' are categorically Thailand's number one organized crime syndicate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson