Effect of enforcing Thai motoring legislation

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Effect of enforcing Thai motoring legislation

Post by Dannie Boy »

VincentD wrote:Radarbot is a crowd sourced gps application, I e. it depends on user generated inputs. The more users you have, the more up to date it gets. The fixed cameras are already a part of most gps apps anyway. So to use this you need to be connected to the internet if you want the up to date info.
Not something I would put much faith in, and they do try to make you buy an 'upgraded' version.
I use a radar detector, and have always had one in my car since 1992. The latest iterations have gps capability and a built in database of speed cameras. Has saved me the hassle of getting stuck in a queue at a road stop.
Just because I have one does not mean I intend to drive at warp speed, but more to avoid unnecessary delays to a journey. Many of us do go over the speed limit, but there is a safe way to do so, and an unsafe way to do the same.
My two baht worth..
Sensible two Baht worth!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:51 am One of the things I noticed on the app was the speed displayed was generally 5kph slower than what my cars speedo was displaying. On the approach to any camera I trusted my speedo over the app.
I'm sat in my armchair, and the app has me travelling anything from 1 to 5 KPH
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:53 am They should ban such devices.
Ah, once again, I don't like it, ban it. I don't like people, ban them.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Wow BB thats not bad for an armchair
is it a heavy one ?
what are you using
E20 or 91
or 95 if its a very heavy one
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it was the baked beans last night :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:29 pm
I’d be very selective over what people I ban, but I’d make an exception for one!! :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:18 pm
handdrummer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:29 pm
I’d be very selective over what people I ban, but I’d make an exception for one!! :cheers:
Banning anyone is sick.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:43 am A couple of weeks ago I downloaded Radarbot to my Android phone.
Last week I drove down to Phuket and every fixed speed and red light camera warnings I got were spot on.
I tested the app when I drove to and from Ratchaburi for the football yesterday. and was generally very impressed. That's quite an accent the lady has - sounds Russian to me :D.

From Hua Hin to Ratchaburi there were 4 fixed cameras and a traffic light camera. From Ratchaburi to Hua Hin there were 3 fixed cameras, which I could see, but it also warned me of a mobile camera, which I doubt at 9pm and a police check which wasn't there.

The only camera I struggled with was the one as I left Hua Hin. Everybody drives too fast past it, and I'm amazed I've never been ticketed. I would estimate 90% of cars going past are well over the limit. I felt a bit of a dick slowing down for it yesterday. Is it faulty, or do we all have a stack of tickets in the system somewhere? All of the other cameras I was within the speed limit anyway, but it's a great tool to have, because we all have lapses of concentration.

One slight problem was driving into Hua Hin last night, I was surrounded by 60kph signs and the warning was telling me the speed limit was 90. Funny actually, the camera was about 100 yards past one of those flashing speed overhead gantries. People slow down for the gantry, but then speed up again.

There was a possible sneaky camera on Soi 68 just before you bear right towards the Pork shop. The app was new - I noticed the warning, my Russian didn't speak. I didn't really understand it was a warning. I looked on the way home, and there is definitely a camera there. Certainly, looking on the app, Hua Hin seems to have more than its share of cameras.

Thank you sateeb for sharing this. I will definitely use it on a regular basis.

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The problem with apps is that WYSIWYG. These speed cameras typically use microwaves and the doppler effect to take your mugshot. However, not all that you see are active, and some are hidden out of sight nearby to catch you unawares. Many are dummies. With the radar detector you get a much better picture and situational awareness.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've become a bit paranoid since using sateeb's app. I see so many cameras now that look identical to the cameras identified by Radarbot, but not mentioned by the app. I've now invested in a proper radar detector.

Next problem is knowing the correct speed limit for each road e.g. driving home this afternoon, I thought I was on an 80kph road. Then I passed a 60kph sign, followed fairly quickly by 30kph. I did not see another speed sign for the rest of the way home. Basically, we can never be 100% sure that we are driving legally.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I drove to Ratchaburi and back yesterday with both Radarbot and my new radar detector working side by side. The radar detector was obviously picking up genuine radar signals. Whilst the radar detector picked up quite a few signals, only one was agreed by Radarbot, which puts the reliability of Radarbot data into serious doubt.

Now, whilst my radar detector was working fine, it only whispers the warning (I had to have the radio off). Other radar detectors I've experienced have had very loud audible warnings. I'm now looking for a recommendation for a radar detector with a 'crap your pants' audible warning. Any recommendations please?

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BB, do not buy any Chinese crap off Lazada or such. They belong in the bin. If you are willing to spend about 200 USD you will be able to get a passable entry level one with decent range and proper filtering to block most of the anti collision car signals. You will have to order from Amazon or the manufacturers themselves and expect to fork out for customs. Uniden and Radenso come to mind.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

For more info on radar detectors go search for a guy called Vortex Radar on YouTube.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you. I'm away on an adventure soon. Will check them out when I return.

Points 48; Position 20