The Cocktail Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by sateeb »

On a recent trip back to the UK my brother served our evening gin and tonics in nucleated San Miguel pint glasses.Basically there is an etched widget in the bottom of the glass which keeps the contents aerated. I've searched high and low for any such glasses here with no joy.

Anyone out there have any pointers or seen them here?

TIA
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

sateeb wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 pm On a recent trip back to the UK my brother served our evening gin and tonics in nucleated San Miguel pint glasses.Basically there is an etched widget in the bottom of the glass which keeps the contents aerated. I've searched high and low for any such glasses here with no joy.

TIA
After a bit of trial an error, I've come up with a way of making a glass like this. You get a normal glass and make a cardboard template for the bottom with a cut out for the shape of your widget, I used a square of about 15mm.
Put this in the bottom of the glass and then get a sharp carbide tipped drill bit and repeatedly drop it into the cut out.
I found a drop of about 3cm for a 6mm drill bit gives you a big enough indentation to work and probably about 5 minutes worth to get as many as you need.
Obviously you need to wash out the glass well after because there will be small chips of glass in there.
It doesn't take long and works as well as the laser etched ones if you can't find any.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:58 pm
sateeb wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 pm On a recent trip back to the UK my brother served our evening gin and tonics in nucleated San Miguel pint glasses.Basically there is an etched widget in the bottom of the glass which keeps the contents aerated. I've searched high and low for any such glasses here with no joy.

TIA
After a bit of trial an error, I've come up with a way of making a glass like this. You get a normal glass and make a cardboard template for the bottom with a cut out for the shape of your widget, I used a square of about 15mm.
Put this in the bottom of the glass and then get a sharp carbide tipped drill bit and repeatedly drop it into the cut out.
I found a drop of about 3cm for a 6mm drill bit gives you a big enough indentation to work and probably about 5 minutes worth to get as many as you need.
Obviously you need to wash out the glass well after because there will be small chips of glass in there.
It doesn't take long and works as well as the laser etched ones if you can't find any.
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. However, my creative skills were frozen at birth. Fortunately my brother's coming out here in February with a couple of San Mig glasses in tow. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 pm On a recent trip back to the UK my brother served our evening gin and tonics in nucleated San Miguel pint glasses.Basically there is an etched widget in the bottom of the glass which keeps the contents aerated.
Nucleated? Aerated? Etched widget? Sheesh, am I the only one who has no idea what you're talking about? :? And G&Ts in a pint glass? Seriously? Help me out here, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease...
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Don't worry, Sateeb, I understand.

However I'm with DM in so far as "G&Ts in a pint glass? "

I remember these glasses. They've been around for a while and they do work.

https://www.amazon.com/Fizz-Glassware-N ... B08D54GTYP
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:27 am
sateeb wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 pm On a recent trip back to the UK my brother served our evening gin and tonics in nucleated San Miguel pint glasses.Basically there is an etched widget in the bottom of the glass which keeps the contents aerated.
Nucleated? Aerated? Etched widget? Sheesh, am I the only one who has no idea what you're talking about? :? And G&Ts in a pint glass? Seriously? Help me out here, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease...
I too was sceptical but load the glass with plenty of ice(crescent moon shape) and add your desired quantities. The stemmed glass prevents your sweaty mitts melting the ice too quickly and the etched widget keeps the tonic fizzing.

https://brightnight.com.au/2021/06/01/s ... and-tonic/
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
And voila, the perfect G&T :cheers:

@DM..any tips for the perfect port and lemon? :naughty: :duck: :laugh:

― George Carlin
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

@ mods

As not strictly beer oriented feel free to move if appropriate.

― George Carlin
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:14 am Don't worry, Sateeb, I understand.

However I'm with DM in so far as "G&Ts in a pint glass? "

I remember these glasses. They've been around for a while and they do work.

https://www.amazon.com/Fizz-Glassware-N ... B08D54GTYP
I know you're partial to the odd G&T. You can always try it out in a large volume stemmed wine glass. :cheers:

― George Carlin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Now that's worth a try in the interests of science!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In the UK this type of glass is frequently used for G&T’s
Attachments
D92759A8-AF97-4B8F-B4B5-9E057D62856B.jpeg
D92759A8-AF97-4B8F-B4B5-9E057D62856B.jpeg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1421 times