"Breaking" as Olympic Sport

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

"Breaking" as Olympic Sport

Post by dtaai-maai »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/63479365

'Breaking means I express myself through music'

That's fine, but an Olympic sport...?

There will be many magical moments which will 'go viral' during the Paris 2024 Olympics, but one sport likely to generate lots of engagement is breaking.

The sport, which has evolved from break dancing and the hip hop culture of the 1970s, will make its major Games bow in Paris, six years after a dazzling debut at the 2018 Youth Olympics.

Emma Houston - a former Falkirk Ladies footballer turned TV talent show dancer - and now non-binary breaking star known as 'Shortbread' - has worked with some of the world's leading commercial brands like Nike, Levi's, Adidas and Virgin.

Shortbread, who uses the pronouns they/them, is also one of Britain's best prospects for a place at Paris 2024 and the 31-year-old Scot will look to take a step towards that target via the European Breaking Championships in Manchester this weekend.

"It feels like we're on the brink of something because this movement is starting to take the world by storm," they told BBC Sport.

"I really believe it will blow people's minds at the Olympics."
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: "Breaking" as Olympic Sport

Post by migrant »

It would break my heart if they did
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.