Mixed race children is there still an issue ?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
tbuzzi
Banned
Banned

Mixed race children is there still an issue ?

Post by tbuzzi »

As a multiracial (chinese/maltese/English) Expat I am interested to know what attracts farangs to asian women, specifically thai girls. I am not being bitchy and I am not a miserable middle aged women so please don't start on me, I am simply asking the question as a matter of interest.

I have asked my dad as he clearly went against the grain, when he brought my mum back from Hong Kong 45 years ago she went through absolute hell and they were ostracised by his family and as children we were called all sorts of names had paint thrown at our house and bricks thrown through our windows, and many a punch up ! I wondered what it was like now for mixed race children specifically in the UK and here in thailand.
I have experienced my own children's race issues not here or the uk but in the states so am interested to hear about other people's experiences. Hope this thread doesn't offend anyone it is not my intention.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Mixed Thai and white and especially mixed Thai and black used to be a huge problem here back during the Vietnam war days. So much of one, many children were abandoned and sometimes killed. No longer. Sometime in the 1980's it all changed and they are now the darling of the media as everyone can see by watching TV or looking at magazines. They are very well accepted and highly respected.

I raised two Thai/American kids back in the States with my Thai wife starting in 1972, and can not recall any problems at all so nothing for me to tell about that aspect. We did live north of the Mason Dixon line though. From other vn veterans I know, things were not the same in the South when one brought home a Thai bride/kids.

What attracts farang men to Thai women? Probably an entire thread for this and there probably already is one. Maybe simply put, love and not knowing the Thai language, we can look like we're listening and smile but not underastand a damn thing....bliss! :cheers: Pete
tbuzzi
Banned
Banned

Post by tbuzzi »

Hi Pete thanks for the reply, I know the states is pretty good with mullti racial and the Uk is sort of ok , I married a german/american with Czech undertones! and our children are clearly heinz 57. Our son looks asian to me but many people think he looks hispanic and in California at the moment that is not a good thing ! The girls look more german I think and as their hair is oddly light coloured! they look like typical Calfornia girls ! Thankfully they have not had too many issues although my son gets stopped by police all the time !

I know even now in china being a girlis 2nd class and being mixed race girl is pretty rough. I wondered what was happening to the Lookeungs here in Thailand. How do Thai men take to mixed race women?
Logic takes you from A - B Imagination takes you anywhere!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

tbuzzi wrote: I wondered what was happening to the Lookeungs here in Thailand. How do Thai men take to mixed race women?
That's a good question and something I've never really thought about. You do see Thai men and lookkrung kids coupled up nicely on TV but in reality??

We have to remember that there are lookrung here who have never known their foreign Father (or perhaps Mother) and have been raised 100% Thai, in families of all income levels. I would assume for those, life is normal and relationships with Thai men are completely normal. They may actually have an aversion to farang men, thinking they are all sex tourists. Some Thai parents drill this into their children just to keep them away from farangs.

One the other hand, if you "tour" some bar areas of Bangkok (especially but not exclusively) you will see quite a few look krung working girls.

Next, pick up a copy of Friday's Bangkok Post which includes GURU magazine. It's a magazine for the younger social set in Bangkok. Look through that and there are many photos of "rich" look krung kids at parties and discos mixing nicely with pure Thai men and women.

I'm sure up in Issan and elsewhere there are thousands of them who will live their entire life on a farm and are dirt poor.

Going through the above thought process, I think safe to say that look krung are no longer a social class of their own but are genuine members of Thai society in all classes. Pete
tbuzzi
Banned
Banned

Post by tbuzzi »

Thanks for the spelling correction wasn't really sure how to spell it !
I know when you go into the skin care section it is all about being lighter,my mum always told me the lighter you are the higher class you are in china because it means you didn't have to work outside! Our son is literally mobbed by thai girls when he is here and he is just a boy, (16)
T
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

tbuzzi wrote:I know when you go into the skin care section it is all about being lighter,my mum always told me the lighter you are the higher class you are in china because it means you didn't have to work outside!
This is true and it goes to the extreme here, in Japan, China and everywhere. It also seems to show the evolution of an Asian society. 35 years ago I saw no "white" Thai women or men. Today in Burma, Cambodia and Laos you'll probably see very few. In Hong Kong however, no one really works outside anymore or if they do, they are shaded by buildings. So perhaps the trend will revert and a tan will become fashionable? :shock: LOL.

The interesting reversal of all this is that most farang men here are indeed attracted to darker/tanned skinned women. Some girls here are happy to get a dark tan. I've seen some mahogony color over here, really dark. They are popular. Some take it to the extreme though and bleach their hair blonde, that looks odd but again, a dark tanned Thai woman in a white dress, high heels and blonde hair gets attention, as does one in a white string bikini! :cheers: Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

tbuzzi wrote:
what attracts farangs to asian women, specifically thai girls.
Firstly a point of clarification ie my response refers to asian women in general of a legal age - I am concerned what is meant by 'thai girls'.

My personal experiences have been:

1. Initially, most Thai women have a much better figure than the average farang woman of a similar age group. Also I find the facial features of most Asian women to be particularly attractive. However, there are exceptions.

2. Latterly, and probably more importantly for a Farang/Thai relationship to have blossomed is the different outlook on life. I watch the relationships of friends who are married to Farang women develop in to a mundane laborious event, often only maintained for the sake of the kids. With my relationship, I never know what is going to happen next. The Thai perspective on events is often so very different, to the scale of becoming hillarious. Laughter is a good symptom of happiness.

3. Finally, love - the way my wife cares for me is second to none. I've lost count of the amount of Farang women that have tried to 'educate' her in to the Farang way. She will not be swayed from her beliefs, and understands that her first priority is total care for me, and her children.

I could not even consider being unfaithful, or trading her in for an English model - I know when I've got it good. :wink:

tbuzzi also wrote:
I wondered what it was like now for mixed race children specifically in the UK
We have lived very happily in the UK for nearly 17 years. In that time, neither I nor any of my family have experienced any form of racial abuse. I know we are lucky, and some nasty things happen every day all over the world that are racially motivated. Because of that, I have spent an awful lot of money getting my son trained in Karate to a very high standard - it is better to mitigate risk, than to be found wanting when that nasty event happens. :shock:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
tbuzzi
Banned
Banned

Post by tbuzzi »

"Thai girls" I still think of myself as a girl even though I am clerly not so there as no disrespect intended.
I know my other half says I am very different to american women, not sure if that is the asian in me or the British! and i hope it is a good thing !! after 23 years one would hope so !! I think what shcks his friends even after all these years is the way I take care of him, I am still very interested in business but he and the children come first.
I am glad you haven't had trouble in the UK, my nieces and nephews who are only 1/4 chinese do still get called chinkys ! and they live in pretty good areas and attend private schools but they still seem very well balanced.
Anyway here are some pics of my gang !