Cars with CVT transmissions

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Cars with CVT transmissions

Post by Green Nomad »

Want to know thought's from current owners, or past owners, of cars that have CVT transmissions. Is the reliability as bad as published? Or indeed the actual driving experience. I am looking to buy a new car in the next few years. I have a couple of models in mind but will not mention any names as yet. Does anyone have any suggestions, looking for an suv sized car, something with a bit of room and ride height. Thanks in advance, GN.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Cars with CVT transmissions

Post by sateeb »

Not an SUV but I've got a 2020 Honda Accord with CVT. Absolutely no problems with it thus far. 1.5 turbo and goes like a rocket. Was sceptical about the engine size as I wanted the Civic but changed my mind after I test drove the Accord. A big step up from my previous 2.4L Accord.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

I thought of you when I wrote this post Steve. Have read about the engines tendencies to scream at higher speeds, but it may come down to the manufacturer.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I did a quick read when I saw this thread and it appears everyone but Honda has their CVT made by a third party.

Honda produces theirs in house and Quote: ...."Honda's CVT transmissions are also worth a mention. Unlike Toyota and Nissan who sources their CVT transmissions from Aisin and Jatco respectively, Honda does it in-house. The end result is a more seamless pairing between engine and transmission, as Honda is responsible for both."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Think we have read the same article or similar PeteC, yes, Toyota are stating they use Aisin made CVT, which is said to be very reliable but the other, Jatco, is to be avoided used on Mitsubishi and Nissan cars.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve never had a car with a CVT automatic box, but from what I’ve read, most (Honda may be an exception) don’t provide a very relaxing drive, but having said that, there are lots of them out there so…..
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:03 pm I’ve never had a car with a CVT automatic box, but from what I’ve read, most (Honda may be an exception) don’t provide a very relaxing drive, but having said that, there are lots of them out there so…..
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/201 ... -cons.html
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I am not a fan of these transmissions. To me, the least troublesome in the long run are the manuals, but they seem to be a dying breed.
I have 3 Nissans, one an xtrail, 16 years old, with over 300,000 km on the clock, and a standard torque converter auto gearbox. It is beginning to show it's age, but still drives okay. The other two are the Almera and the Juke. Almera has just over 100,000 km and if more than 7 years old. Not something I'd drive, it's the wife's car. My son drives the Juke, it's less than 7 years old, and we just had to replace the transmission. You can't fix these things, just replace them.
CVTs are good in start/stop traffic, and are economical but don't last.
Standard torque converters are the best middle ground.
Don't ever get a dual clutch (some Ford's and vws).
Your problem will be finding a car that does not have a CVT.
This is my personal opinion, YMMV.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It seems the small Mitsubishi cars and the new Expander small SUV have a CVT. The Pajero Sport does not at present it seems.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

OK, I have 2 vehicles in mind at the moment. The new 2023 Honda crv, be it hybrid or ICE. Or maybe a new Mazda cx 5 or similar. Bear in mind I have only looked at the latest 2022 mazda choices on our last visit to HH. The crv is preferable for its size but am concerned about power train and after service, and do not know exactly on a release date/price for Thailand as yet.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Bear in mind that CVTs are typically used in low power applications. They cannot take a beating, as they are constructed of nested metal bands with a steel plate backbone, and are constantly flexing due to the nature of it's design. Metal flexing causes fatigue and eventual failure.
Your best bet for long term would be to get a locking torque converter type. Unless you only plan to keep it for a few years and then keep up with the model change.
Honda today isn't the same as it was a few years ago, I personally would give it a miss. Haven't looked at Mazda for a while but would give it consideration. I would also consider Subaru.
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Green Nomad wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:56 pm OK, I have 2 vehicles in mind at the moment. The new 2023 Honda crv, be it hybrid or ICE. Or maybe a new Mazda cx 5 or similar. Bear in mind I have only looked at the latest 2022 mazda choices on our last visit to HH. The crv is preferable for its size but am concerned about power train and after service, and do not know exactly on a release date/price for Thailand as yet.
I’m not sure that the CRV will be available as a Hybrid in Thailand and the CX5 certainly isn’t, but both are nice cars from what I can deduce and similar in size - maybe the CRV is marginally bigger but not by much.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We've had a Honda HRV with a CVT for about seven years now with absolutely no problems at all. My partner normally drives it but I use it some times and find it very pleasant to drive.
I've always been a fan of manuals but now I get into traffic in my old Hilux and wonder why I bother, I won't buy another one.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

[youtube] any[/youtube]Steveg, I think CVTs are all right, just that it is not for me. If GN is just going to use it as an around town runabout, I think it's a great choice. I loved my SAAB turbo manual, it was wonderful and had the full boost that was somewhat reduced for the auto versions. But I did a lot of interprovincial travel at warp speed back then. Right now, I am an advocate of the torque converter gearbox with the locking differential, plus the 4wd as I do need the functionality it provides where I am. Advancing age does tend to shape our priorities.. :thumb:
I'm leaning towards the Mazda option, but I'm somewhat of a nonconformist. GN, hope that helps.
วินเชนท์
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Thanks all for your great comments. And thanks VincentD for that last reply, I am also leaning towards a Mazda, I have never even considered Mazda a car purchase in the time I have been driving, but many people I have known over recent years who have owned them have said how happy they have been with them.
I have not ruled out the up coming CRV(proof will be in customer feedback from the US), and I will have time to make my decision as I intend to retire in the next few years. The car will be a gift to myself (and wife of course) so I want one that will last. I'm looking for a vehicle that would be good in traffic, for touring around Thailand, being able to take a fair load in the back, have good economy and safety records. Asking a lot I know. :P GN