Best value internet provider in Hua Hin?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Best value internet provider in Hua Hin?

Post by wenshidi »

Who is the best value internet service provider these days?
buksida

Re: Best value internet provider in Hua Hin?

Post by buksida »

I don't think "value" has much to do with it since most of the packages from different companies are similarly priced.

Reliability and speed would be a better comparison, but that would depend on where you live and how good the local infrastructure is.

For example, 3BB is far superior to TOT in our area for a similarly priced package.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've tried G, 3BB and True. IMHO you will be hard pressed to find better than AIS. However, to find the best in your particular area of Hua Hin, I'd suggest you ask neighbours, whose information will be much more up to speed on services to homes in your area.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you opt for a provider that isn't in your area, you will have to pay to run cable and it's very expensive.
We have G cable and if possible, avoid it. They have too many equipment problems and change programming & channels without notice.
The other evening I was watching a concert and in the middle of a performance, it changed to another video. Very strange.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I would guess it depends how far away their server is. When I upgraded to fibre, they ran a cable from their box around 2 - 300 metres away. No charge!
That was with 3BB. I get up to 800 mbps upload and 700 mbps download on fibre.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Those speeds are not guaranteed. As stated above, it depends on where you live and whats available. I also have 3BB fibre and get nowhere near those speeds for international connections.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My AIS speed was getting way too much for what I needed. I actually downgraded, and now pay half the price, and get between 200 and 400mbps up and down. HHTel, unless you have money to burn, or really need such speeds, maybe you should consider the same. That saved cash could pay for a night out each month.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I measure things by:

1) Does the connection buffer during streaming.
2) Does it take longer than 2-3 seconds to open a webpage, anywhere.

If the answer to those are no, then I'm happy and am paying for the correct speed.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Exactly, in fact I think you are being over generous with the opening time of a webpage. Anything extra is overkill.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Right, my 3BB fiber connection runs at about 10% of the speeds touted above (even slower without the VPN on), and it is plenty for my needs - downloading, streaming, gaming, etc. all works fine (in other words, don't believe the marketing bullshit).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The speeds I stated was just doing a 'speed test'. The only other thing that's visible is the speed of downloading a movie (from YTS). That ranges in general from 25 - 35 mbps but goes into the 40's on occasion. With VPN disabled, which I've done by accident, those download speeds almost double, but soon spotted by 3BB software which after a couple of movies the connection is choked.

I pay 700 baht a month which I'm happy with. Not much saving to be had as I think the cheapest package is 590.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:23 pm soon spotted by 3BB software which after a couple of movies the connection is choked.

I pay 700 baht a month which I'm happy with. Not much saving to be had as I think the cheapest package is 590.
Really? That sounds like good reason to avoid 3BB :shock:

110฿? - that's not much of a night out :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Only happens when downloading movies without a VPN.
It's always recommended to use a VPN. Only happens with fast speed. Before I upgraded to fibre it worked fine without a VPN. But of course speeds were much slower.
Not found it a problem. The times it's happened, just load the vpn and carry on.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The speed tests are pointless and not a true measure of performance as you're testing to Thailand which is more like a local network or intranet connection (this is what the companies use to sell their packages). To get a more accurate test of speed you should do it to a server in the U.S. (where most hosting cloud companies are located) to give a true representation as it is likely to be several factors slower than the advertised package speed.

For mine, it runs at 600-700 mbps to Petchaburi, but about 10% of that to the U.S. It is "supposed" to be a 1,000/500 package from 3BB for 590 a month but never gets anywhere near that speed in reality. Additionally, it is actually faster with the VPN set to Singapore which just shows how much is being filtered/blocked/throttled in Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

321/254 to Nakhon Pathom

136/26 to New York

Both are very acceptable to me. I remember 10 years ago being delighted with my 8mbps 3BB connection.

Points 48; Position 20