Govt readies phone app for National Digital ID (NDID)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Govt readies phone app digital IDs

Post by buksida »

Yes, we all know the difference between what is written on some website and what will be required in reality by thousands of places not geared up to accept digital IDs. Our local amphur office still has computers running Windows XP FFS. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Belfast digital ID startup SureCert wins advisor role for Thailand’s digital ID strategy
Belfast-based digital identity and background check provider SureCert has won a contract to support the foundation of a national digital ID system from the government of Thailand, reports The Irish News.

Thailand is building a digital identity strategy to reduce fraud and provide secure online access for government services. SureCert’s LinkedIn profile refers to its role with the Thai government as being advisory.

SureCert built Northern Ireland’s Covid Certification process, which resulted in the successful identity verification of three quarters of the country’s adults with face biometrics.

The company was founded in 2017 by Ian Savage, whose background includes years of experience teaching scuba diving in Thailand, Silicon Republic reported in SureCert’s early days. The company’s focus on reusable digital identity was originally motivated by its desire to enable employers to verify the credentials of job applicants, the report says.

https://www.biometricupdate.com/202304/ ... d-strategy

Thailand is powering ahead with this digital ID drive which will only alienate us aliens even further.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The biggest surprise for me is that they’ve not given the contract to one of their Chinese cousins!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Sure Cert are only the consultants. The actual project could will go to a JV involving Chinese companies.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The debanking of farangs in Thailand commences ...

Banks tell users: Put on your best face
Banks have notified customers to be ready to authenticate their identities by scanning their faces on their mobile devices when conducting three types of mobile financial transactions, as part of the Bank of Thailand's strategy to prevent financial fraud.

WHAT ARE THE TRANSACTION TYPES?
Under the measures, a facial scan on mobile devices is needed for: mobile money transfers of more than 50,000 baht per transaction to local or overseas accounts; transfers of more than 200,000 baht per day; and to change the limit for credit transfers on mobile devices to more than 50,000 baht per transaction.

In the future, banks can adjust the amount from 50,000 baht that triggers the facial scan requirement in order to fit with their customer types.

Bank customers do not have to scan their faces to transfer more than 50,000 baht to pay bills, such as credit cards, phone bills or stock purchases.

According to the Bank of Thailand schedule, all banks should be ready to introduce biometric authentication for the three types of transactions in June this year.

Some banks such as Bangkok Bank plan to introduce this facial scan requirement next month.

Banks also notified their customers to bring their ID cards to bank counters nationwide to update their information and take a photo of their faces in preparation for the biometric facial scan for the three types of transactions.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/25 ... -best-face

This is the first stage of wide-scale full monitoring and control of spending ... Welcome to China!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:34 pm The debanking of farangs in Thailand commences ...

Banks tell users: Put on your best face
Banks have notified customers to be ready to authenticate their identities by scanning their faces on their mobile devices when conducting three types of mobile financial transactions, as part of the Bank of Thailand's strategy to prevent financial fraud.
I can't imagine anything going wrong with this :roll:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Re: Govt readies phone app for National Digital ID (NDID)

Post by buksida »

This NDID is creeping into everything and gradually excluding/debanking foreigners who cant get one. Its the reason we can't use PayPal here.

The world's largest crypto exchange, Binance, just opened an exchange here but you need a NDID to open and verify an account. Another "farang mai dai" example.

This will come to the banking sector soon - no NDID, no Thai bank account. :banghead:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:This NDID is creeping into everything and gradually excluding/debanking foreigners who cant get one. Its the reason we can't use PayPal here.

The world's largest crypto exchange, Binance, just opened an exchange here but you need a NDID to open and verify an account. Another "farang mai dai" example.

This will come to the banking sector soon - no NDID, no Thai bank account. :banghead:
I was using Zipmex for crypto but they seem to have fallen foul of regulations somehow. So I had a look at Bitkub but that seems to be on the NDID route. That really just leaves Bitazza. Then I saw the Binance report and thought I might give that a go. But if that's NDID only it's a PiTa as well. Bitazza it is then. But the way things are going in a year's time that might also want NDID for KYC purposes.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

hhinner wrote:
buksida wrote:This NDID is creeping into everything and gradually excluding/debanking foreigners who cant get one. Its the reason we can't use PayPal here.

I was using Zipmex for crypto but they seem to have fallen foul of regulations somehow. So I had a look at Bitkub but that seems to be on the NDID route. That really just leaves Bitazza. Then I saw the Binance report and thought I might give that a go. But if that's NDID only it's a PiTa as well. Bitazza it is then. But the way things are going in a year's time that might also want NDID for KYC purposes.
I just tried account creation on binance. Currently under review.

Stated nationality as UK
Address in Thailand (did in Thai because that's what's on my Thai driving licence).
Used driving licence as id.
Did the liveness check.

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ I didn't use passport because that doesn't have an address anyway.

Didn't use pink card because that would go down the NDID rabbit hole.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^^ Worked! 😀
Screenshot_20240116_165356_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20240116_165356_Yahoo Mail.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 908 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

I didn't bother going ahead with the verification after reading on it that you needed NDID. Also reached out to support and a Binance rep that I know who both confirmed that you needed NDID.

But ... since you've done it, I'll have another go trying to do the KYC without it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just tried it again using the app as prompted "mai dai". Can't use a driving license as it wants a Thai ID card as in the notice "only Thai national ID cards accepted."

This is for the new binance.th Thailand exchange, NOT the global binance.com which you tried. I already have Bitkub so will have to stick with that.

From Binance TH support:
Sorry to keep you waiting. After checking with the team, I'm afraid foreigner Thai ID card is indeed currently not supported. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
There is a caveat, however: Binance TH is not available to foreigners residing in the Kingdom as it requires a Thai National Digital ID to complete Know Your Customer procedures.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/binance- ... -incumbent
So, as I wrote earlier, bamboozled by NDID requirements yet again.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Ah, my mistake. Anyway, I saw that Bitkub isn't doing foreigner KYC verification at the moment, which is why I gave up there.

I haven't tried to deposit any cash or crypto with binance com yet, but at least Thailand is not one of their forbidden countries.

Thanks for the clarification.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Binance.com works well, but its crypto only, no depositing or withdrawing fiat which is why you need a local exchange - which Thailand is in the process of blocking foreigners from using through its NDID requirements.