The Mon Bridge, Sangkhlaburi

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

The Mon Bridge, Sangkhlaburi

Post by Big Boy »

Before I ask my question, I have looked at buksida's very informative/comprehensive report from 2017 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35359

I am starting to plan my next mini-adventure, and I have decided the highlight should be pushing Mrs BB in her wheelchair over The Mon Bridge in Sangkhlaburi. However, the question nobody seems to be able to answer is, "Will I be allowed to take a wheelchair over the bridge?" If the answer is no, then I will simply look elsewhere.

Google is certainly not my friend this time. I need a tourist office or something similar just to confirm it will be allowed. I have tried the Kanchanaburi Tourist Office, but no response yet (God forbid if they actually helped foreign tourists :D), We even had a friend go there a few weeks ago, but the best I got from him was it should be possible, but it will probably be a bit bumpy. I won't be sat in the chair, so bumps aren't a problem.

Can anybody help with a tourist information centre in that part of the world, or even have a definitive answer for me please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Mon Bridge, Sangkhlaburi

Post by sateeb »

https://thailandtourismdirectory.go.th/ ... ction/2802

Shows disabled facilities and Cart(sic) access
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:58 pm Before I ask my question, I have looked at buksida's very informative/comprehensive report from 2017 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35359

I am starting to plan my next mini-adventure, and I have decided the highlight should be pushing Mrs BB in her wheelchair over The Mon Bridge in Sangkhlaburi. However, the question nobody seems to be able to answer is, "Will I be allowed to take a wheelchair over the bridge?" If the answer is no, then I will simply look elsewhere.

Google is certainly not my friend this time. I need a tourist office or something similar just to confirm it will be allowed. I have tried the Kanchanaburi Tourist Office, but no response yet (God forbid if they actually helped foreign tourists :D), We even had a friend go there a few weeks ago, but the best I got from him was it should be possible, but it will probably be a bit bumpy. I won't be sat in the chair, so bumps aren't a problem.

Can anybody help with a tourist information centre in that part of the world, or even have a definitive answer for me please?
Below is how the bridge looked like 6 months ago so you can have an idea, might be a bumpy ride but feasible
Also maybe you could phone the number on the last picture hopefully they can help
:cheers:
Attachments
received_5985966484757345.jpeg
(244.88 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
received_1505096156650407.jpeg
(350.87 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
received_1298862760684931.jpeg
(84.77 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you for that sateeb, it certainly gives me hope.

Unfortunately, that listing looks very similar to the listing that told me our hotel in Koh Samui was disability friendly, and our hotel in Buriram had an elevator. TIT - I'm learning the hard way.
Visiting the Mon Bridge should be visited early in the morning, especially from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM
That sounds a bit scary i.e. I think the PM should read AM if the rest of the piece is to make sense. I guess it'll be visit the bridge, and then go for breakfast :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you joelle, as well. It actually does look a lot better than any 850m stretch of Petchkasem in terms of pushing the wheelchair.

I'll leave it for a couple of days to see what other responses I get, but yes, that phone could be invaluable.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Just another idea, you could contact a tour operator surely they should know
Here after just one that I saw on Google but there are many others
Attachments
Screenshot_20230104-174120_Chrome.jpg
(95.62 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for that joelle - we know a tour guide, who I'm sure has been there. Will ask her as well.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:01 pm Thanks for that joelle - we know a tour guide, who I'm sure has been there. Will ask her as well.
I asked my daughter who has a friend who is a tour guide in the Kanchanaburi area and he gave this answer :
《It is possible to use a wheelchair on the Môn bridge but it will be necessary to carry the wheelchair at the beginning of the bridge and at the end because there are obstacles to prevent motorcycles from circulating on it.
Otherwise once on the bridge, no problem at all to cross with a wheelchair》☺☺
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you for that. Mrs BB can manage short distances, and I have to carry the chair around 4 obstacles at Khao Tao Lake each day, so not a problem.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:06 pm Thank you for that. Mrs BB can manage short distances, and I have to carry the chair around 4 obstacles at Khao Tao Lake each day, so not a problem.
:cheers: :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'd be more concerned about the structure holding up the bridge.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Opened in 1987 so it's been going for a while. But not without set-backs. there have been collapses reported over the last few years. However, statistically, it's relatively safe.
It's currently limited to 400 on the bridge at any one time to 'ensure' safety'. Last maintained in 2014 and has had many expectations of collapse. The latest being in 2019:
Thailand’s longest wooden bridge under threat of collapse after rains soak west
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather ... -soak-west
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wonder of wonders, TAT Kanchanaburi have responded to me. They have told me the Mon Bridge is not suitable for wheelchairs. So that is another adventure off the plan.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 pm Wonder of wonders, TAT Kanchanaburi have responded to me. They have told me the Mon Bridge is not suitable for wheelchairs. So that is another adventure off the plan.
They probably said that because there are obstacles at the beginning and the end of the bridge, not realising you're a strong lad :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Their wording states the wooden groves make it unsuitable for wheelchairs. It is walking only. As these are the people who should be encouraging tourism, I would be foolish to make such a long journey, only to be told no.

Points 48; Position 20