FA Cup 2023

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: FA Cup 2023

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I thought VAR was there to detect the “clear and obvious” - how Grealish’s brush of the ball can be considered clear and obvious is beyond me. Although it didn’t change the eventual outcome, it could have done.

Although it was by no means a one-horse race, I thought that City deserved to win - let’s see if they can make it a record equalling season by making it a treble next weekend!!
The answer to your question in para 1.... is that they(nb not me) deemed his hand was "in an unnatural position" and therefore was trying to hinder the flight of the ball

As I recall it, the flight of the ball was barely affected at all by the accidental contact.

As stupid a penalty as I've ever seen.

Along with the one given for Liverpool v Spurs Champions league final

Common sense needs applying

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It seems that common sense has gone out of the window!!

I’m not sure I was ever a great advocate for VAR, although I could appreciate the use of it where an obvious error had occurred (e.g. the Frank Lampard “goal” that was clearly over the line), but these stupid handball infringements where “was his hand in a natural position” are a joke!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:It seems that common sense has gone out of the window!!

I’m not sure I was ever a great advocate for VAR, although I could appreciate the use of it where an obvious error had occurred (e.g. the Frank Lampard “goal” that was clearly over the line), but these stupid handball infringements where “was his hand in a natural position” are a joke!!
I agree. The officials never saw anything wrong with it

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Before VAR if the ref made a mistake, the entire media world was on his back for making that mistake. Now we have VAR its exactly the same with many people having opposing views of the same decision.

I too hate VAR, and believe me, it is Rolls Royce in the UK. You should see the Thai version, where I often believe it is used as an excuse for corruption.

My preference would be to go back to human error, and scrap VAR.

[Edit] My personal opinion on the decision was it was a penalty. That hand, intentional or not, did divert the ball away from going into the danger area where there were Utd players, and City defenders, of course waiting.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well my personal view is that the contact was so slight, it wouldn’t have changed the trajectory by more than an inch or two and therefore had virtually no impact whatsoever!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There we go then, even with video evidence that we've both watched, we can't agree. That is exactly my point. VAR is an Arse. We should just go back to good old fashioned human error, and the additional fun of questioning the referee's parentage.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:There we go then, even with video evidence that we've both watched, we can't agree. That is exactly my point. VAR is an Arse. We should just go back to good old fashioned human error, and the additional fun of questioning the referee's parentage.
While we're at it.... ban offside!

At the very least you can only be offside in the penalty area(but then was he in/out? etc etc

just do away with it... let's have more 5-4 matches!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As for the HHF Superbru Prediction League...

Congrats to BB on the win! :thumb:
HHF-FAC.jpg
HHF-FAC.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 770 times
:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, well done BB, I took a punt on a big win for City - 3-0 - in a vain attempt to catch up, thinking most would go for a close result - and they were right - lol!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you. Yes, I was discussing with PeteC yesterday. I'd worked out various scenarios in my head, and when Utd scored, I said to my son I hope City go on to win by 3 goals - nobody will have picked such a big win. When I checked afterwards, you had gone 3-0, and Pete had gone 4-1. I was so lucky I didn't get what I'd wished for :D

Points 48; Position 20