Travel to Petchaburi

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Marie Chinn
Rookie
Rookie

Travel to Petchaburi

Post by Marie Chinn »

I have been offered a job in Petchaburi but am planning on moving to Hua Hin. After trying to find out if its possible to commute I have not come up with an answer.

I believe the bus takes 1 hour 30 mins and this is way too long. Can anyone tell me if rail travel is quicker and how frequent trains are to Petchaburi or any quicker and reasonably cheap other methods there are of commuting (such as taxi?). Not sure if I would be confident motor cycling there!!

Any help much appreciated.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I imagine that the train would be slower than the bus as they usually are, but maybe others can confirm. It is about 50 minutes by car if you step on it a little.

Personally, I think it's a long way to commute if you don't have your own transport.
billseymour

Post by billseymour »

The train may take a few minutes less than the bus, depending on the type of train, but the faster trains are not very frequent, and the railway station in Phetchaburi is not close to the centre of town.

My wife tells me that a taxi (originating in Phetchaburi) is about Baht 500 one-way, and Baht 700-800 for a round trip.

My wife's neice (a nurse) made that commute for about 6-9 months recently (by bus), but then changed jobs to avoid the commute.

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question, unless you have your own car (it's also quite far and potentially dangerous for a motorcycle trip unless you have a large bike).

Perhaps you might wish to consider living in Phetchaburi, or at least trying it for a while.
Marie Chinn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marie Chinn »

Thanks for all your help on this matter. All info much appreciated!!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

There are few options. The trains are no good as most of them don't stop at Petchaburi. When I was doing it regularly I would use the orange and blue goverment bu that stops buy the polyclinic.

It may be worth talking to the minibus people though. They may be able to help.

The best way but a hell of a challenge is to find someone who drives ther on a daily basis anyway and pay for his gas.

Another option is to get the fast bus to Tha Yang and then get the slow bus into Petchaburi.

A lot of this though will depend upon wher exactly you are going to in Petchaburi and wher you are living in Hua Hin.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Marie Chinn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marie Chinn »

Thanks Guess.

In that case does anyone travel to Phetchaburi on a daily basis or at least maybe 2/3 times a week (Mon-Fri) and will be continuing to do so commencing Jan/Feb 2007. If so does anyone fancy helping me out and letting me hitch a ride with them. I will pay or share the gas bill obviously!!!

Sorry for the cheek but desperate times call for desperate measures!!

The job is working at a school and I really want to take it but also really want to live in HH so am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Once again any help much appreciated.
caducus

Post by caducus »

The ninety minute journey referred to is obviously for the local non air-conditioned Hua Hin - Petchburi bus.

You could consider either the Hua Hin-Bangkok sir-conditioned bus or the minibus. The latter will get you to Petchburi within an hour. When I have been using the minibus between Hua Hin and Bangkok I have seen passengers embark and dis-embark at Petchburi.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

caducus wrote: You could consider either the Hua Hin-Bangkok sir-conditioned bus or the minibus. The latter will get you to Petchburi within an hour. When I have been using the minibus between Hua Hin and Bangkok I have seen passengers embark and dis-embark at Petchburi.
None of them actually stops in Petburi.
You have to take bus no.2 which lets you off there.
Bus no 1. is the express-bus between Bangkok and Pranburi and should normally don't make a stop in Phetburi.
Same thing goes for the minibus.

You may of course pay the drivers extra money and ask them to stop in Phetburi. Don't think your fellow passengers like it, but it's possible.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.