Euros 2024

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Euros 2024

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:02 am The stick Maguire gets. 🤣

The stadium loudly taunting his every touch. Most verbally abused player in football.
Maguire own goal. Oh my. :laugh:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:02 am The stick Maguire gets. 🤣

The stadium loudly taunting his every touch. Most verbally abused player in football.
Yes, but I have to admit it made me chuckle, the way the Scottish fans didn't get tired of it. :laugh:
On a more serious note, it was pretty clear, to me at least, how much Maguire slowed down the tempo. Pass to Harry, foot on the ball, stand still for 5 secs, pass 4 yds to another defender. Not impressed, time to put him out to grass.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

time to put him out to grass.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OMG Lost, are you working for the gutter press?

A couple of days ago England failed to win one game in a row and you were calling for Southgate's head.

Today, Maguire scores an unfortunate own goal, and you want his head. What a blood thirsty git you are. Maguire did some decent defending in the proper game against Ukraine and was our best forward. It was only a kick about against Scotland. Who cares if he slips up, unless you're Scottish?

If afraid there is a trend emerging here - too much Twitter (X). You need to start thinking for yourself :D Elon Musk is winning.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Most of the reports I’ve read have concentrated on Bellingham’s 5* performance - definitely one for the future including the captaincy badge in a few years time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've only seen the highlights, but yes, he looked good.

Unfortunately for Lost, I don't think Twitter does good news :naughty:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well in fairness, based on club form, which he hasn't got any of, Maguire is an odd selection. Even with the injuries that United have, it's clear that Ten Hag will only play Maguire if he literally has no other options. So based on that, and based on his future limited oppurtunities for game time, and as yesterday was a friendly, it's a bit hard to understand why Southgate didn't give an opportunity to either Tomori or Colwill? Both of whom are regulars for their clubs (and with Guehi, form a trio of Chelsea academy graduates). They are both in-form players - and fast - that deserve opportunities.

Maguire seems to have been really badly affected by the charges he is facing in Greece, as that seems to have coincided with the start of his downward spiral, and with the awful criticism he has faced recently, which he would have to be almost inhuman to ignore, it's hard to understand why he didn't seek a move away from United in the summer, for a fresh start, with a less brutal and unforgiving manager than Ten Hag? It might be that's all he needs to kick-start his career?

I don't think Maguire was unlucky with the own goal. It seems to fit a pattern of indecisiveness based on a lack of confideness that has plagued his game recently. His positioning wasn't great and he should have either wellied it or left it.

I suspect he will leave United in January, unless through injuries, he get's a run of games and turns things around, but with the United crowd forever on his back, I think that's unlikely. The question is whether by then, he can find another club?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:21 pm with the United crowd forever on his back, I think that's unlikely.
A friend of mine, who is a staunch Utd supporter keeps telling me that Utd fans get what Utd fans want. My conclusion is Utd fans are clearly the problem.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:31 pm
caller wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:21 pm with the United crowd forever on his back, I think that's unlikely.
A friend of mine, who is a staunch Utd supporter keeps telling me that Utd fans get what Utd fans want. My conclusion is Utd fans are clearly the problem.
He may be a staunch fan but that doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. The opinion of one fan is not gospel.
Take on board some of the fatherly advice you gave to Lost :thumb: :laugh: :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:04 pm He may be a staunch fan but that doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.
I've been telling him that for years. :naughty:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:53 am OMG Lost, are you working for the gutter press?

A couple of days ago England failed to win one game in a row and you were calling for Southgate's head.Today, Maguire scores an unfortunate own goal, and you want his head. What a blood thirsty git you are.
Someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today? :laugh: :duck:

Please direct me to a single post yesterday in which I called for Maguire's head. I mean, sure, he shouldn't be in the team, but I didn't say that yesterday. :wink:

Somewhat of a strange little outburst that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Still reeling from the call to get rid of Southgate after not winning one game in a row :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:24 pm Still reeling from the call to get rid of Southgate after not winning one game in a row :laugh:
😂😂😂

Fair enough.

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:20 am Most of the reports I’ve read have concentrated on Bellingham’s 5* performance - definitely one for the future including the captaincy badge in a few years time.
Beginning of the game Souness actually said something along the lines of, "he's only picked ahead of others because he plays for Real Madrid". :shock:

He did say after the game that he's 'the real deal' but, crikey. Gets paid for his football knowledge, him.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Given our dire behaviour the last time round with the final very, very nearly having to be called off during the game due to the security breach, and outside fans with no tickets swamping the stadium ... I'm surprised at this. Good though. Hopefully, we're better behaved this time around.

On another note, the international breaks suck balls. The players don't like them. The fans don't like them. The amount of times important players get significant injuries completely disrupting their team's season...

The leagues should just finish earlier, have the group stages straight before the tournaments.