Favourite Actor/Actress?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Favourite Actor/Actress?

Post by Lost »

Could have been really pretentious there and said thespian. :laugh:

TV fans of all ages, decades and genres on here. Who tickles your fancy on screen? Ruffles your truffles? No, not like that ( :naughty: ) I mean more towards the best acting in movies/shows for you...

Past or present.

For myself, maybe Tom Hanks. Though I've really only enjoyed 3 of his performances in the past 14 years. It's his earlier performances that keep him near, or at, the top.

Milla Jovovich is definitely up ther—
No, not like that, I mean more towards...
Ok, scrap that. Keanu Reeves I really like and he's still pumping out incredible performances currently. The John Wick Saga is outstanding. Mark Wahlberg another.

What about you folk?

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Favourite Actor/Actress?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Based on stage and screen, I'd have to say Anthony Hopkins.

But to be honest, it's a bit of a daft question - maybe top ten?

Sidney Poitier, Robin Williams, Benedict Cumberbatch... can't do it, not even 10, there are dozens of favourites.
This is the way
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Jessica Lange in "The Postman always rings twice". Meryl Streep - Jack Nicholson, Robert de Niro in his younger days.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Could have been really pretentious there and said thespian. Image

TV fans of all ages, decades and genres on here. Who tickles your fancy on screen? Ruffles your truffles? No, not like that ( :naughty: ) I mean more towards the best acting in movies/shows for you...

Past or present.

For myself, maybe Tom Hanks. Though I've really only enjoyed 3 of his performances in the past 14 years. It's his earlier performances that keep him near, or at, the top.

Milla Jovovich is definitely up ther—
No, not like that, I mean more towards...
Ok, scrap that. Keanu Reeves I really like and he's still pumping out incredible performances currently. The John Wick Saga is outstanding. Mark Wahlberg another.

What about you folk?

Great post!

Off the top of my head

Daniel Day Lewis

Cate Blanchett

Gene Hackman

Michael Fassbender

Meryl Streep

Christopher Waltz

More later today.....ImageImage

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:23 am
But to be honest, it's a bit of a daft question - maybe top ten?
I did include 4 names in my post, so there appears to be some wiggle room. :thumb:

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Robin Williams
Possibly above all my names, for me. The 'off the top of my head' missed a legend in my post.

Good call.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:23 am Jessica Lange in "The Postman always rings twice".
Had heard of neither the actress nor the movie, so downloading for later viewing.

https://yts.mx/movies/the-postman-alway ... twice-1981
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:23 am

Christopher Waltz
Ooh, good call! I appreciate him from the quite recent Horrible Bosses, Inglorious Basterds and Alita: Battle Angel. I'm thinking the movies you enjoyed of his may be different.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

In so many ways, impossible to name even a "Top 10" - each and everyone has their favorite Movies/Actors/Shows et al.

I have some favorite movies where quite frankly neither Actor or Actress could be classed at the best..... BUT as for "Favourites" (which for me, several ARE the best in their field..). In no particular order: -

Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, John Malkovich, Al Pacino, Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood, James Stewart, Robert Duval, Heath Ledger, David Jason...... OH COME ON!!! It's impossible!! So many more..... Keanu, DENZEL et al..!!

As for Actresses, though apparently we should refer to both sexes, oh shite, sorry ALL sexes as "Actors" :roll: :?

Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Michelle Pfeiffer, Michele Greene (Oh it was a long time ago "LA Law"... But, you know..). And well, it has to be Catherine Zeta-Jones!! Come on.... "Darling Buds of May" (and she's Welsh)!! :D :wink:

So many more I could pick!! :oops: :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:18 am In so many ways, impossible to name even a "Top 10" - each and everyone has their favorite Movies/Actors/Shows et al.
Absolutely, and for that reason I wasn't going to add to my earlier contribution. Having said that, I've just started watching The Tudors on All4, and that has reminded me that Sam Neill is definitely up there among my many favourites.
This is the way
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

The only way to judge good actors is to ask yourself the questions: "Would I watch a film I didn't really fancy just because a certain actor is in it?" or "Of which actors have I seen all their films?". If you do it this way there are surprisingly few answers. For me that would be Sean Connery, Michael Caine, John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Peter Sellars and, maybe Alec Guinness (although even he could not get me to watch a Star Wars film). Tom Hanks would also be a borderline choice. There have been many one off wonders, of course where an actor played a fantastic role. Paul Schofield in "A man for all seasons", Richard Attenborough in "The guns at Batasi", Richard Harris in "A man called Horse", Anne Bancroft in "The Miracle Worker", etc., etc.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:23 am

Christopher Waltz
Ooh, good call! I appreciate him from the quite recent Horrible Bosses, Inglorious Basterds and Alita: Battle Angel. I'm thinking the movies you enjoyed of his may be different.

No, Inglorious was the stand out one

Plus the circus master one(name???)

I've never heard of Horrible Bosses! I'll look it up today, thanks

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

And his academy award performance in Django Unchained
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

migrant wrote:And his academy award performance in Django Unchained
Indeed!

As re Horrible Bosses, I knew of this movie but just didn't know the title

But I definitely didn't know he starred in the second one so that's a real find today ImageImageImage

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:49 am

I've never heard of Horrible Bosses! I'll look it up today, thanks
He's in the second one, you'd have to watch the first one too. :D

Both excellent comedies in my opinion!

Edit: You'd already found this out before I posted, hadn't read all replies yet... :D