How Hot Does your House Stay Overnight

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

How Hot Does your House Stay Overnight

Post by bigston »

With the relentless hot days, and in the past 3 weeks or so, much higher overnight temperatures
im just wondering how hot your House, Condo, etc stays overnight
if you get up in the morning and have a thermometer ' Inside " what does it read at say 6, 7 AM
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: How Hot Does your House Stay Overnight

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:02 am With the relentless hot days, and in the past 3 weeks or so, much higher overnight temperatures
im just wondering how hot your House, Condo, etc stays overnight
if you get up in the morning and have a thermometer ' Inside " what does it read at say 6, 7 AM
It’s just gone 9 am now, but my kitchen thermometer shows 32.2°C
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually woke up last night sweating a little. The thermometer was reading 31C. A short blast from the aircon soon sorted it back to 26C. It was 29C when I woke up this morning.

I can't sleep with continual aircon on overnight, but particularly at this time of year, a short blast soon sorts it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I don't usually check the thermometer in our kitchen in the morning when it's cooler, only in the afternoon and/or evening when it's starting to feel hot. So far in recent days it hasn't gone above 28°C even in the hottest part of the day.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Haven't a clue, as AC is on all the time, so 26°C +/- 😎

They are suckin' up a lot more energy though, over last month. Last month, daily average was 24.63kWh a day. This month ~33kWh a day so far. :shock:

Shy of 10kWh more per day, and outside temps is the only variable that changed.

Just checked, and main room is 26.9°C, and the AC has been off for about 6hrs.
Bedroom is 26°C, feels cooler, due to lower humidity.

Outside temp is 29°C per local weather station, Ban Thung Khlet, a few kms from house.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

GHW how the heck do you manage to keep a house THAT cool in this weather
id kill for 28 anytime of the day
DB you must be baking bread again with no oven
And LA, the joys of solar and battery back up
8.10 am here and its 29 exactly, inside.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have no aircon. Quite lucky with our house as it has doors on all sides and on a large plot of land. That allows a breeze to pass through the house keeping it reasonable. All walls, both external and inside are double skin which also helps. I've been to several houses belonging to friends and with single skin walls, the inside is quite hot to the touch obviously raising the temperature inside.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They are suckin' up a lot more energy though, over last month. Last month, daily average was 24.63kWh a day. This month ~33kWh a day so far. :shock:
That is agood indication that the unit needs cleaning, especially the outside condensor. The present crap in the air sticks to the condensor, making it less efficient at dumping the heat.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:12 am GHW how the heck do you manage to keep a house THAT cool in this weather
id kill for 28 anytime of the day
DB you must be baking bread again with no oven
And LA, the joys of solar and battery back up
8.10 am here and its 29 exactly, inside.
I have to admit that I baked bread last week and the proofing stage was one of the quickest times ever
A7902499-E866-4E17-A0D5-73114C2ACF97.jpeg
A7902499-E866-4E17-A0D5-73114C2ACF97.jpeg (106.81 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sat here wondering what is wrong with our house. I have several clocks around the house with built in thermometer displays. They are cheap Chinese things but they are consistent. We always have our front and back door open during the day, with no near obstructions front or back, so a very nice airflow. I'm sat here now, and the thermometer is reading 35C.

We have the usual high Thai style ceilings, and have a hideously out of proportion huge roofspace.

My morning started at 29C, and it just went downhill from there.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ours drops to about 25/26 overnight and rises to around 32/33 during the heat of the day at this time of year. It helps not living in a city or tower block where all that concrete absorbs the heat then radiates it at night!

However, we're just that little too far (about 300 yards) away from the beach to get that lovely breeze. I've started getting up earlier this time of year to enjoy the mornings which are still cool.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:00 pm I'm sat here wondering what is wrong with our house. I have several clocks around the house with built in thermometer displays. They are cheap Chinese things but they are consistent. We always have our front and back door open during the day, with no near obstructions front or back, so a very nice airflow. I'm sat here now, and the thermometer is reading 35C.

We have the usual high Thai style ceilings, and have a hideously out of proportion huge roofspace.

My morning started at 29C, and it just went downhill from there.
Had that problem with the first house, me being all too ignorant about the tropical sun.

Cinder block build and the walls use to radiate heat higher than ambient temps. Was able to solve it with add ons, double walled & extended roofing, so most of house, exterior wall in the shade. Along with ceiling insulation.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Nereus wrote:
That is agood indication that the unit needs cleaning, especially the outside condensor. The present crap in the air sticks to the condensor, making it less efficient at dumping the heat.
As re air con in March my condo room all of a sudden used 30% more kWhs

Now then...

1. It didn't suddenly spike last March when I was here
2. I use AC sparingly (I don't like it much, necessary evil)
3. I've had my meter checked by PEA

Lived in room for 17 months and I do exactly the same things

My kwh usage has been super consistent throughout.... until March

Surely for my whole usage(nb forget the bill, I'm talking strictly units used) to go up by 30% all of a sudden then I would have to have used my AC by say 50% more at least I would've thought

I can accept I've used it 10/15% more but not 50%+

And was it really significantly hotter in March '23 than March' 22?

Baffled!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I don't think anybody will deny that it is hot. However, thinking back to 2019, my cousin was here and we went on a little tour. During that tour, the thermometer in my car rarely dropped below 40C, and that thermometer is fairly accurate. It was definitely hotter back then, so although people are saying they don't remember it being this hot, this is not unusual.

My living room thermometer is currently showing 37C BTW.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

It has been hotter, these things are cyclical and the last 2-3 years have been La Nina which is cooler and wetter. Expect the hotter hot seasons to last a couple of years as we enter the El Nino cycle again.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson