Treacle Molasses and Golden Syrup

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Treacle Molasses and Golden Syrup

Post by Nereus »

All us older folks should know the difference!
Growing up on a farm we had all three at various times.
Golden Syrup was as near as we got to honey, and molasses was used for mixing up feed for the milking cows. Molasses came in 44 gallon drums, and as kids we would steal a bit while my father was mixing up his brew for the cows. I remember having treacle, but mostly golden syrup on the table.

https://www.ragus.co.uk/treacle-molasse ... rkin-cake/

https://www.cooksinfo.com/black-treacle
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Treacle Molasses and Golden Syrup

Post by hhinner »

I remember black treacle and golden syrup, both in similar tins. Tate & Lyle. Mum used black treacle in cooking, I remember not liking it. Golden syrup on the other hand... .
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I tried to find molasses in Europe to follow a recipe for homemade Branston style pickle and couldn't find any.
I ended up using corn syrup as it was nearest thing in the shop and it turned out fine.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I bought some Tate & Lyle golden syrup recently. My Thai family had never heard of it but their kids love it. Now I need to make sure I've always got it.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Both of these are available at AP foods.

I picked up tins of both and admired the distinctive designs fondly at the weekend. The guy must think I am some kind of weirdo. Maybe I should have explained the story.