Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm He’s probably got a big cheque coming his way!!
Regardless of whether he stays or goes being the pi$$take.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

For as long as I can remember, every year, 1, 2, or 3 managers have been brought in, been allowed/encouraged to spend countless tens of millions on players, failed miserably and then been given a huge payoff for underperforming - you’d never get it in any other place than in top flight football - I blame the chairman/hiring committees as much, if not more than the underperforming managers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 pm For as long as I can remember, every year, 1, 2, or 3 managers have been brought in, been allowed/encouraged to spend countless tens of millions on players, failed miserably and then been given a huge payoff for underperforming - you’d never get it in any other place than in top flight football - I blame the chairman/hiring committees as much, if not more than the underperforming managers!!
The ludicrous money involved all around is the issue IMO - how can the Manager be singled out (continually)? Of course I don't have the no-how of the sport that many on this site do, BUT... Surely there is a group of Directors that make the financial decisions? Perhaps based on what the Manager has to say, but isn't the Manager provided with "insights" and information from the club's "Scouts"? There is then (I assume) a fairly large Coaching Team, "Analysts", Medical Team etc. who must all have an impact but don't seem to be mentioned. And then of course the Players themselves! The majority of which are simply overpaid Prima-Donnas, zero loyalty and high maintenance - petulant pricks who care more for "One-upmanship" over teammates rather than the opposition and of course... MONEY!! How is it possible for a Manager to control all of this when there is so much working against him (or her or it or none I should apparently add)?

Successful and therefore popular Managers don't get the same shite obviously, but is this because they have all things working well and a club/team and a decent set of Players (not as above) fully behind them? Would things go "pear-shaped" and Players/Fans attitudes change if results weren't going their way?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As you’ve almost hinted, it’s a very complex situation that I openly admit to knowing precious little about the intricacies, but the way I see it, it’s a bit like a chef who has lots of ingredients and whose responsibility is to bring all the ingredients together and make something delicious.

Well Pep has managed that at City and Klopp at Liverpool and Arteta at Arsenal, but sadly Poch and Ten Hag (amongst others) have failed pretty miserably.

I’m sure that in some instances Managers don’t have “full control” and have to make the best of what they’re given, and we’ve seen examples of them not doing very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 pm .......it’s a very complex situation that I openly admit to knowing precious little about the intricacies, but the way I see it, it’s a bit like a chef who has lots of ingredients and whose responsibility is to bring all the ingredients together and make something delicious....
An explanation that tells very little, yet makes a great deal of sense!! :thumb: DM and Lost will no doubt have "several" views of their own :D As I'm sure "sensible" others might :neener: :duck:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm Successful and therefore popular Managers don't get the same shite obviously, but is this because they have all things working well and a club/team and a decent set of Players (not as above) fully behind them? Would things go "pear-shaped" and Players/Fans attitudes change if results weren't going their way?
Good point, and it surely can't be a coincidence that successful and therefore popular managers like Klopp and Guardiola currently and the likes of Mourinho at his peak and Ferguson in previous generations generally tend to be with wealthy clubs that can afford the best players?

IMO comparing managers is rather like trying to tell who is the best F1 driver - you'd have to put them all in the same car with the same support.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Couple of interesting games on tonight. The Merseyside Derby and United vs Sheffield United. Liverpool needing a victory to keep up in the title race and United needing a dominant performance against the bottom of the table to keep Ten Hag in a job.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Couple of interesting games on tonight. The Merseyside Derby and United vs Sheffield United. Liverpool needing a victory to keep up in the title race and United needing a dominant performance against the bottom of the table to keep Ten Hag in a job.
But they wouldn't sack him before an FA Cup final anyway so tonight's result won't change any timing

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm IMO comparing managers is rather like trying to tell who is the best F1 driver - you'd have to put them all in the same car with the same support.
Now, now.... :tsk:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 pm But they wouldn't sack him before an FA Cup final anyway so tonight's result won't change any timing
Yet many say he has been already, but will last out the season - the same has happened in the German League hasn't it?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

We sacked Mourinho a week before a final. :D

Granted it was the lowly league cup final.

:cheers:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

pharvey wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 pm But they wouldn't sack him before an FA Cup final anyway so tonight's result won't change any timing
Yet many say he has been already, but will last out the season - the same has happened in the German League hasn't it?
True, the decision to replace him may have already been taken already, just not publicly

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Set up nicely for an interesting second half for the two games mentioned earlier. colonel will be happy with Everton surprisingly leading. Nunez missing his sitter, might get a screamer later. Come on 'pool for fk sake.

In the other game, after going behind, Man U battle hard and are rewarded with a Maguire equaliser. :laugh:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Sheffield United take the lead again. :wink:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

'Kin christ, spurs really need to do the business this weekend! Ugh, United finally take the lead as I type.

Bad news football day it appears it's gonna be.