Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by PeteC »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:40 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:41 pm ... although Luton have a fighting chance of escaping...
I hope they do, their position doesn't reflect their performance, and they deserve to stay up.
That match last night may have broken their back for the season. Something like that is hard to come back from. I fully agree though,they do deserve to stay up and I hope they pull it off somehow.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

At 3-0 up they must have thought they’d done it - not blaming them, but it just goes to show how focused you have to be to get a win!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

And the result for Bournemouth makes them safe.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Almost certainly - just looked and hadn’t realised that Brentford were as lowly as they are - just one point above Everton and two above Forest - none of them can consider themselves safe if Luton get a couple of quick wins!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nottingham Forest points deduction: Loss of four points drops club into relegation zone

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68594865

Nottingham Forest have been docked four points for breaching Premier League profit and sustainability rules.

An independent commission found Forest's losses to 2022-23 breached the threshold of £61m by £34.5m.

The immediate loss of points means they drop below Luton Town into the Premier League's relegation zone.

Forest are the second top-flight team to be penalised for PSR breaches after Everton lost 10 points in November, which was reduced to six on appeal.

Forest, who are likely to appeal against the ruling, had a hearing on 7-8 March.

Premier League clubs can lose £105m over three seasons - £35m per campaign - but Forest's maximum loss was only permitted to be £61m because they spent two years of the assessment period in the Championship.

The commission found Forest demonstrated "exceptional cooperation" with the Premier League during the process.

The league's rules state any appeals process should "conclude no later than and if possible some time before 24 May" - five days after the season finishes.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

With these points deductions being enforced, it's looking more and more likely we'll see something quite substantial for Man City. Relegation to lower leagues. Anything less will be obvious corruption and uproar will follow.

Frustratingly, new fair play rules will be coming into force next season allowing teams to spend more. I say 'frustratingly' as the only thing spurs have won in recent times is being top of the ffp table. We could spend 600+ million and still be within the rules, way way above anyone else's available spend. Not that Levy would actually utilise that advantage mind, but still... :wink:

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

But City and Chelsea will just seriously threaten to leave the Prem and join a super league(along with others) thus shafting the EPL

Something which Everton and Forest can't do they just have to take it

Money talks

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well I believe the hearing begins later this year for their 115 charges of alleged rule breach over a nine year period (2009-2018). Verdict expected in 2025. It doesn't appear they've broken ffp rules in 2023, so won't be receiving the points deductions others have this season.

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said, "The volume and character of the charges laid before Man City, which I cannot talk about at all, are being heard in a completely different environment."

Whatever happens, the verdict on them is going to be leading the sports news for a while. A twenty/thirty point deduction is insignificant. They'll still accumulate the points needed to stay up. Demotion is the only non-corrupt outcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Chelsea I understand are still in investigations and cooperating with all involved.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Your new stadium coming along nicely colonel.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The best stadium in the Championship :duck:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:The best stadium in the Championship :duck:
Many a true word said in jest.....

If not this season the next, away teams will love playing there Image

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

What people forget is that Everton got hit so hard becasuse they didn't co-operate. Forest did, and with or without an appeal, both received a reduced sentence based on other factors. Forest have yet to decide whether to appeal. They haven't got long.

Man City are strongly denying all of the allegations made against them, and will clearly fight the allegations all the way. It's going to run and run.

Chelsea's new owners voluntarily declared the wrongdoing they found when checking the accounts before buying the club, to both the FA & EUFA. Some were quite common in the game, at the time, going back to 2012 at least. As EUFA's rules include a time bar, they have already dealt with the issues and fined Chelsea for their actions, bearing in mind none of this would have come to light without this self-declaration.

The FA doesn't have any such time-bar, which is why it is taking longer. It is clearly a very different matter to Everton and Forests situation and the new owners held back 150m pounds, whatever, from their final payment of the club, in lieu of an expected fine for what happened. Time will tell.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

What people forget is that Everton got hit so hard becasuse they didn't co-operate. Forest did, and with or without an appeal, both received a reduced sentence based on other factors. Forest have yet to decide whether to appeal. They haven't got long.

Man City are strongly denying all of the allegations made against them, and will clearly fight the allegations all the way. It's going to run and run.

Chelsea's new owners voluntarily declared the wrongdoing they found when checking the accounts before buying the club, to both the FA & EUFA. Some were quite common in the game, at the time, going back to 2012 at least. As EUFA's rules include a time bar, they have already dealt with the issues and fined Chelsea for their actions, bearing in mind none of this would have come to light without this self-declaration.

The FA doesn't have any such time-bar, which is why it is taking longer. It is clearly a very different matter to Everton and Forests situation and the new owners held back 150m pounds, whatever, from their final payment of the club, in lieu of an expected fine for what happened. Time will tell.
Talk is cheap
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I've lost count of the number of times that I read and and heard that Everton cooperated fully(and I don't mean by Everton fans I mean national media). I really don't know why you said they didn't

Perhaps because Forest did so fully you're assuming Everton didn't