Allergies

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Allergies

Post by Lost »

Fun topic. :D

I've become curious about this over the past few years. At my weekend job, I need to ask for any food allergies. I know 99.9% of the time the elderly couple in front of me will say no, often accompanied by some witty remark. :wink:

But the younger families with kids, "Yes, we have this, that and them".

(As an aside, I never had hay-fever before. But by christ has it hit me hard for 3 years now.)

So why have allergies, specifically food allergies, become more common?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Allergies

Post by HHTel »

This article confirms your thoughts. There are theories but no definitive answer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46302780
Why the world is becoming more allergic to food
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

My personal opinion is that too many foodstuffs being consumed are processed in some way so not all the good stuff is getting to you. Examples of this would be polished rice, where up to 90% of the minerals are removed, leaving only the starchy bits. Similarly, most french fries have the skin removed leaving only the starchy bits. Or, those people who consume skim milk, which I think is the part that should really be thrown away..
But I digress..
วินเชนท์
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

As a kid I can't think of anyone at Primary or Secondary school('64 to '75) that had any food allergies but then again we didn't live in a virtual sterile bubble. Personally I was brought up on full fat gold top milk and we got most of the regular childhood ailments. I'm pretty sure I got measles and definitely got mumps because I vividly remember my older brother showing me my face in the mirror. Frightened the life out of me until I found out he'd shown me in dads shaving mirror. :laugh: :laugh:

So my personal opinion is that todays pampered offspring lack the good/bad bacteria in their stomachs that us old fogeys have. Happy to carry on chewing my nuts!! :naughty: :laugh: :thumb:

NB..I did suffer from the mother of all hayfevers from about 1973, the summer of '76 was a particular low point.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:11 pm Frightened the life out of me until I found out he'd shown me in dads shaving mirror. :laugh: :laugh:
:lach: :lach: :lach:

Oh, I like your brother! Please give him my best. :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:33 pm
sateeb wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:11 pm Frightened the life out of me until I found out he'd shown me in dads shaving mirror. :laugh: :laugh:
:lach: :lach: :lach:

Oh, I like your brother! Please give him my best. :laugh: :laugh:
Thought you might enjoy that one. Another thing he did every morning was fart in my Cornflakes, guess there was some dodgy bacteria ingested that contributed to my wellbeing :laugh: :naughty:
The list of torments I suffered is very very long but I guess that goes with the territory of having a sadistic older bro. :laugh: Best of mates now and I will send him your good wishes. :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:27 am So why have allergies, specifically food allergies, become more common?
Oh good God, It's down to Brexit, LBGT & the WOKE brigade of course!

Seriously though, I would agree with other comments in that so-called younger generations have not been really exposed to real world viruses - IMHO "Health Foods" actually have the goodness (and taste) removed :roll: "Fast/Junk Foods" which seem to be the staple diet of many are just that, JUNK. Full of additives, preservatives and all letters of the alphabet. You could also say today's costs and way of life leads to a poor diet perhaps - either way, Immune systems are being weakened. I believe that the extensive travel I've had through work and the exposure to different environments and foods have helped me (despite Gandhi having his revenge on several occasions :wink: )

In my younger years I had Measles and Chicken Pox both very common, but other than that nothing really. However, I was hit very hard by Covid (yes it exists) and have suffered the after effects (generally referred to as Long Covid) for an extended period. This has in turn effected my immune system - post Covid I have been hit with several issues, Asthma and Hayfever included neither of which have been a concern previously.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:43 pm Another thing he did every morning was fart in my Cornflakes, guess there was some dodgy bacteria ingested that contributed to my wellbeing :laugh: :naughty:
Oh, now that's proper fathering!! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

pharvey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:52 pm
Lost wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:27 am So why have allergies, specifically food allergies, become more common?
Oh good God, It's down to Brexit, LBGT & the WOKE brigade of course!

Seriously though, I would agree with other comments in that so-called younger generations have not been really exposed to real world viruses - IMHO "Health Foods" actually have the goodness (and taste) removed :roll: "Fast/Junk Foods" which seem to be the staple diet of many are just that, JUNK. Full of additives, preservatives and all letters of the alphabet. You could also say today's costs and way of life leads to a poor diet perhaps - either way, Immune systems are being weakened. I believe that the extensive travel I've had through work and the exposure to different environments and foods have helped me (despite Gandhi having his revenge on several occasions :wink: )

In my younger years I had Measles and Chicken Pox both very common, but other than that nothing really. However, I was hit very hard by Covid (yes it exists) and have suffered the after effects (generally referred to as Long Covid) for an extended period. This has in turn effected my immune system - post Covid I have been hit with several issues, Asthma and Hayfever included neither of which have been a concern previously.
Of course the anti-vaxxers of this Parish will blame your post covid ailments on that nasty vaccine. :naughty: I digress, good luck for the future.
Oh, now that's proper fathering!! :thumb:
Yes, I came through all that without any lingering symptoms...twitch twitch :laugh: :laugh:

BTT :cheers:

― George Carlin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree with the above comments. IMO the younger generations haven't built up the immunities that us oldies developed in years gone buy. Everything is far too sterile. When I was a kid, any food dropped on the floor was picked up brushed off and eaten. "A bit of muck isn't going to kill you" - Mum's comment.
Everything these days are xxxxx'ised in various ways making it super safe leaving nothing for the body to fight. Therefore a serious lack of antibodies.
There are a number of reports that identify developing countries having the least prevalence of food allergies. Probably due to not being so 'fussy' on what they eat.

Even in Thailand there has been no increase in the prevalence of food allergies in adults. However, food allergies have risen in younger children. I believe that adds evidence to what I've said above.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have had lifelong allergies to egg (specifically the egg white) and penicillin. As a child and into adulthood, I suffered from excema, ashtma and hay fever. Not sure about the penicillin, but with the others, the effects have reduced over the years. Although, I don't put egg to the test much either.

Egg appears on Thai food packaging as an allergic ingredient, although it seems almost unknown here. I have a wild theory about that, which I will keep to myself
Talk is cheap