How Do I Close Electric & Water Accounts

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Geko
Professional
Professional

How Do I Close Electric & Water Accounts

Post by Geko »

I have recently sold a property here in Hua Hin, I know I have to cancel the water and electric accounts at the relative places, but how to I cancel the direct debits from the banks, do I need something to tell the bank the water and electric accounts have been stopped? Went to the bank to try and stopped the direct debits but all the clerk said I have to wait one month before it can be done?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: How Do I Close Electric & Water Accounts

Post by Nereus »

Geko wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:58 am I have recently sold a property here in Hua Hin, I know I have to cancel the water and electric accounts at the relative places, but how to I cancel the direct debits from the banks, do I need something to tell the bank the water and electric accounts have been stopped? Went to the bank to try and stopped the direct debits but all the clerk said I have to wait one month before it can be done?
Was it the clerks bank account that you were using? :shock:

I have to do the same thing, either today or tomorrow. I had a Thai speaker call the bank and no mention was made of any one month. I will check with him again today, as I am waiting for him to give me a note written in Thai to take with me, that states exactly what I want to do.

But it does not surprise me that you were told that, as the clerk probably had no idea what you were on about, so just said the first thing that came into his tiny brain in order to save face!

What they may have thought; was that it takes one month before the first debit, if setting up a new transfer.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: How Do I Close Electric & Water Accounts

Post by Nereus »

To follow this up I forgot that TIT! The bank clerk was correct, only in Thaiand. Utter BS!

I went to Bangkok Bank (in Bangkok, not Hua Hin) this morning equipped with the hand written note from the Condo manager, whom had previously called the bank and had not been told about how long it takes.

After signing the expected multiple forms, which the bank had a stock of, the girl called the Condo manager and spoke with him, before handing the phone to me. He informed me that the direct debit cannot be stopped until next month, (August), and to have it done immedirely the bank gave me yet another form that the manager has to take to the MEA office to attempt to have it stopped from today!

Well sorry a***#oes, I am closing the account as I am leaving, so they will be plum out of luck next month!

I also sold my house in Hua Hin last September, and simply closed the bank account at the same time.
The buyers lawyer sorted it out for them, so I am not sure how long it took. But I am sure that barstewards would cut the power off immediately if the account was overdue.

I have to ask; HTF can this be legal? How can any provider dictate conditions about a private persons bank account? The communists governments around the world could learn a lot from these pricks!

It may well be that somewhere in the small print where you originally signed up, you agreed to this condition!

Of no further concern to me, but if wanting do this I would open an acccount just for direct debits, just keep it topped up from your main bank account, withdraw the balance and close it when no longer needed.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!