Ice cream in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Ice cream in Hua Hin

Post by wenshidi »

One of my favourite activities in Hua Hin is exploring the treasure troves that are the supermarket and 7.11 ice cream frezzers. Thailand is definitely one of the best countries on the planet for ice cream. So many new, and exotic flavours to explore, and all at very reasonable prices. Which brands and varieties are your favourites?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Ice cream in Hua Hin

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve never experienced anything exotic or exceptional from a 7-11 ice cream freezer?
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Really? Just last night, I was stuck choosing between taro and durian. Eventually I went for a Yakult smoothie filled with jelly squares. The dog did not like them, but I did!

Still looking for the Milo Magma and The Marquis of Peanut Butter.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Durian ice cream ... glad I'm on Keto. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Most ice cream here is made from coconut rather than dairy, which I gather is more healthy. Is Keto like Paleo?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Similar, Keto is essentially no sugar and no carbs, whole thread on it here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38452

Plenty of sugar in ice cream, but you can get Keto versions, though not in a 7-Eleven!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Sounds interesting but I reckon it is probably a bit too late for me now. .-).

So do you make your own?
How about cheese? Do you make that as well?
I am always on the lookout for quality coconut cheese.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Never too late for a beneficiary change in diet if just for a short period, check the thread above for more info and experiences.

The Mrs made Keto ice cream last time we were on it and it was pretty good (its hideously expensive to buy in Thailand as most healthy things are).

Dairy and cheese are fine, you can eat anything aside from carbs and sugar.
Highflyer

Post by Highflyer »

Plain Coconut ice cream to buy, any recommendations?
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

buksida wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:48 pm Never too late for a beneficiary change in diet if just for a short period.
Thanks, but luckily, i am still in pretty good shape, and can allow myself a few indulgences.

BTW, does seaweed play much of a part in your keto?
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Highflyer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pm Plain Coconut ice cream to buy, any recommendations?
Street vendors are best but most of the shop sold popsicles and cornets are also made with coconut milk.

Walls Asian Delight range utilises pure coconut milk and has three very unusual flavours: Taro, Black Bean and Ruammitr, which consists of lod chong (pandan-flavored rice flour) and corn.

F&N do a King's Signature Potong Coconut Milk, but I have only tried their cheaper Magnolia coconut and black bean, which was honestly a bit disappointing.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can't stomach anything with coconut (even if I can't taste it), so I have to be very careful with street vendors. There is a fairly new kid on the block though, who does regular ice-cream. There are quite a few of them about, identified by the green awnings. Nice ice-cream, and nor expensive either. I get a 20฿ cone, and it has about 10 scoops of ice-cream
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Where is it exactly so we can check it out A few of my friends are lactose intolerant, but after so many years on the road, my micro-biome can handle most things.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

How many of these have you spotted locally?

https://www.shopping-d.com/collections/ ... -ascending

I am actively looking for the Mochi Milky Banana and the Paddle Pop Watermelon.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

wenshidi wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:38 pm Where is it exactly so we can check it out A few of my friends are lactose intolerant, but after so many years on the road, my micro-biome can handle most things.
I see them all over Hua Hin ad Khao Tao, Motorbike and sidecar, or push along cart. It is the green awning that gives them away.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20