Fish & Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Fish & Chips

Post by migrant »

Barracuda, and shark, are good if prepared correctly. They both have blood lines that are best cut around. Shark is real popular in the western US.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:16 pm Barracuda or barramundi?
Barracuda are a good sporting game fish to catch, but I would not contemplate eating one.

https://barralodge.com.au/species/barracuda/
Eating: Try to release barracuda in good condition – they are very poor eating and have rather grey flesh with an unpleasant odour. Big fish definitely should not be eaten if caught in locations where ciguatera poison is known to exist.
............................................................................................................................
https://thailandliveaboards.com/chevron-barracuda/
Chevron Barracuda
There are currently 28 known species of barracuda, one of most commonly found in the seas around Thailand is the Chevron Barracuda.
Found in tropical and subtropical oceans worldwide, Chevron Barracuda fish hang around near the surface of the ocean and around coral reefs and sea grass. Good dive sites in Thailand to see schools of chevron barracuda are Racha Noi North Point, Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai.
...........................................................................................................................

BARRACUDA FISH 101; The flesh of the barracuda is creamy tan when raw and cooks up to off-white. Barracuda meat is firm, with a large flake and moderate fat content. It has a full, meaty flavor.
...........................................................................................................................
There is some disagreement about just where fish carrying the organism is found, but as they feed around reefs and will eat anything, it is possible that fish in Thailand carry it.

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/fish/ ... acuda1.htm

Will I get sick if I eat barracuda?

Barracuda Gone Bad: Ciguatera Fish Poisoning

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) places barracuda at the top of its list of predatory fish consumers ought to avoid. This is because large, predatory fish that live near reefs, like barracudas, have a greater chance of passing along ciguatera fish poisoning. As its name implies, the poisoning is caused by a substance called ciguatoxin. Though ciguatera fish poisoning can stir up a highly uncomfortable spectrum of symptoms, it's rarely fatal.

Certain types of algae that breed in deep tropical waters produce ciguat­oxin. More specifically, it comes from a one-celled organism called dinoflagellate that breeds on different kinds of algae. Since barracudas are carnivores, they don't consume the ciguatera-tainted algae directly. The small fish that barracuda feed on, such as tuna, herring and anchovies, eat the algae; then, the ciguatera enters the barracuda's system as it digests the fish. While barracudas process the ciguatera, the poison accumulates in their flesh, fat and viscera [source: Hoffman et al].

he ciguatoxin doesn't harm the barracuda, but almost everyone who eats infected barracuda will reap unpleasant consequences. Within 24 hours, the poisoning provokes extreme nausea and vomiting that often lasts for a couple of days. A tingling in nerve endings, or parethesia, may persist longer. Other symptoms include headache and a metallic taste and feeling of loose teeth in the mouth. In atypical cases, ciguatera fish poisoning can produce permanent nerve and cardiovascular damage.

more at link.........................................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

We caught Barracuda where I was working offshore in the US Mexico Gulf and the stench was horrible. I would not eat this type of Barracuda at least. I have no clue where the Barracuda they serve here in HH comes from?
YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:35 pm We caught Barracuda where I was working offshore in the US Mexico Gulf and the stench was horrible. I would not eat this type of Barracuda at least. I have no clue where the Barracuda they serve here in HH comes from?
An extract from Wiki -
Barracuda are a popular target for recreational fishing, due to the strong fight they put up when hooked. However they are also known for the pungent odour they release upon being caught, and their meat has a chance of causing Ciguatera fish poisoning when eaten.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Hmm when I was going to college in California I lived on my boat. Being a poor college student we ate whatever we caught. Barracuda, like mackeral, we would cut out the bloodline and it tasted OK but we were unaware of ciguatera poisoning! That was maybe why in the movie The Deep Robert Shaw told Nick Nolte and Jackelyn Bisset barracuda was for lunch. When they said can't you get sick he said "longer than your arm it will do you no harm" Always wondered what he meant, and not sure if there is any truth to it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:57 pm I bought a few shark steaks many years ago here and to me they were really bad. Terrible flavour. It seemed like I was eating bait. :shock:
When I lived on my boat in Oceanside harbor there was a real popular fish and chips place there, always busy and I thought tasty. One summer my GF came to stay with me and got a job there. They told her that the fish was shark and if anyone asked tell them it was cod.

Also a big stink many years ago that some restaurants were passing off thresher shark as swordfish.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

migrant wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:03 pm Hmm when I was going to college in California I lived on my boat. Being a poor college student we ate whatever we caught. Barracuda, like mackeral, we would cut out the bloodline and it tasted OK but we were unaware of ciguatera poisoning! That was maybe why in the movie The Deep Robert Shaw told Nick Nolte and Jackelyn Bisset barracuda was for lunch. When they said can't you get sick he said "longer than your arm it will do you no harm" Always wondered what he meant, and not sure if there is any truth to it.
I don’t remember that particular line from Robert Shaw (great movie, by the way), but I do seem to remember reading something along those lines in the past, but can’t remember if it was specifically about barracuda. I had no knowledge of any issues with eating barracuda when I had the fish & chips this week, and I experienced no ill effects. It was great fish & chips, and I will go and have it again in the future.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

migrant wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:07 pm
PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:57 pm I bought a few shark steaks many years ago here and to me they were really bad. Terrible flavour. It seemed like I was eating bait. :shock:
When I lived on my boat in Oceanside harbor there was a real popular fish and chips place there, always busy and I thought tasty. One summer my GF came to stay with me and got a job there. They told her that the fish was shark and if anyone asked tell them it was cod.

Also a big stink many years ago that some restaurants were passing off thresher shark as swordfish.
For as long as I can remember (that is, before I became old!), fish and chips in Australia was shark, called "flake". No idea what is used now, but as with all fish and chip shops, do you know enough about fish to be able to tell just what it is after it is cooked in a batter?

https://redfishgrill.com.au/2020/02/23/ ... ake-shark/

Hake, Flake, Shark?? …….

edit, add the following:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/science/flak ... ood-fraud/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As it's been mentioned, does anyone know if swordfish is easily available here?

Always enjoyed that in the past. More of a 'meat' than a fish I found.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Apologies in advance if mentioned before

Hand cut (not frozen) chips in Father Teds are spot on

Fish is Sea Bass which works well in batter but is in two pieces not one

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Even after 5 years back in the UK, my heart still skips a beat when I see a post on this thread! :oops: :laugh: :laugh:
One of the best things about being back here is that my fish of choice is plaice, and my favourite local chippy (there are several) always has it.

The downside is that fish & chips is no longer a cheap option - up here you're talking about £9-10 (400-450 THB), I dread vto think what it costs in London.
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I’m in the UK I live on the London/Kent border and you can get F&C’s at not much more than you pay D-M although that’s for Cod, Plaice is probably a bit more expensive. Not far from where I live, one of my sons has a mobile chippy that comes once a week and serves really nice F&C’s - due to the relatively small size of the van, it’s often cooked to order so other than a 15 minute wait, it’s always piping hot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Fyi my fish and chips in Ted's was 320 baht

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk